Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like most everyone here, I got myself a new Triumph Bobber and am bit by bit making her my own.
Step one was to give her a name. TBob she is.

You all know what she looked like out of the factory. But it is rare we permit them to stay in that virgin state for long.

Step two was to add more black bits. So she looked like this when I picked her up from the dealership:

Step three was to ride and enjoy her some and work out what else was needed.
She is so easy to ride. She's nimble and nippy; her clutch is nice and light; suspension rides reasonably well, but room for improvement; she's got bunches of torque and surprises me by still rolling on well in sixth on the highway, so not rushing for engine mods. And suitably quiet: I've been sneaking out on her for coffee and brekky in the early mornings and whenever I want to run some errands.

I just need to be mindful of her brakes as they aren't as "instant" as these other rides. A couple of times now I've had "increased heartrate moments" as I've underestimated the effort required at the lever. She stops and the ABS works as designed; it is simply me being used to a lever with a better feel and more immediacy.

While she's awesome fun in and around town, she's also not that comfortable for cruising for a few hours at 110ish kms/hr on the open highway; her nakedness creates quite a bit of wind resistance. I may consider the little Dart screen for those runs, though another option is for Clip-ons to bring me closer to the tank (and make playing even more fun), but then I'd want to complement that with rear sets or at least a rear set of foot rests. Need to think about that some more as I have other bikes for longer highway runs.

So riding her over the past few weeks has given me some priorities for those further modifications, but first a purely aesthetic mod...

Step four is to "orange-ify" her. So stripped her naked and dropped the tins into the Paint Doctor. The tins now have a gold base with checkers in light and dark gold in a fairly traditional Triumph arc on the tank with candy-apple orange over the golds. Then as a checkered stripe fading from front to rear on the fenders.
Base graphics:

And then the top coats:
I'm super excited about the colour
It's just gorgeous with so much depth and gloss. The checkers worked out much more subtle than I'd anticipated; you really can't see them until you move around the bike in the sunlight, then they pop out. Almost like you are imagining them and when you look again they've disappeared. Magic! :D

And finally, on the bike...

I'll get some close-ups of the graphics in the sunlight soon.

Step five was the Wilbur rear shock. It was installed along with the tins while the guards were off. It is the 643 in the Nightline custom built for my weight.

Step six will be the brake upgrade. I contemplated dual brakes, which was my initial preference, but involved lots of dollars even if I did most of the install work myself (and yes I was tad annoyed with the Bobber Black announcement the day after I took receipt of TBob). So I've now decided to go with a 4 pot Brembo that FreeSpirits offer. I'm very familiar with various Brembo offerings across my bikes and cars so felt confident that it would be a good choice and a better match for the master cylinder that the current single caliper. It is ordered, but still on route.

So I'll upgrade this thread as she evolves and as I enjoy her more. While I have step 6 as the brake upgrade I will also be gradually adding more brass accents. Mostly I'll be painting / powdercoating pieces such, though will also be keeping my eyes open for other accent pieces over time. There may be whitewall tyres in her future too, but need to run up quite a few more miles before I'll be able to justify that to myself.

Cheers and thanks for reading this far (or at least just looking at the pics :p )

·
Registered
553 Posts
I prefer the shock spring black to keep it less obvious, & maintain the hardtail look.
Paintwork looks great, always nice to see a bike not black,
You've really made TBOB your own well done.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Looks great! I am currently trying to figure out a personalized license plate. Much of what I would want is already taken.

How do you like that seat?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful!!!
Thank you Louie! :grin2:

I prefer the shock spring black to keep it less obvious, & maintain the hardtail look.
Paintwork looks great, always nice to see a bike not black,
You've really made TBOB your own well done.
Thanks. And it is good that we all have different tastes in what we like and dislike; adds variety :smile2: Do you still have your Rocket?

Looks great! I am currently trying to figure out a personalized license plate. Much of what I would want is already taken.

How do you like that seat?
I like the seat. I've done a couple of longer runs with it and the wind buffeting tires me well before the seat causes discomfort. However I have ridden horses for most of my life, which I think changes my perception on how tolerable seats / saddles are.
Good luck with figuring out a plate you like; hopefully you can come up with a combination that is available :smile2:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Thanks. And it is good that we all have different tastes in what we like and dislike; adds variety :smile2: Do you still have your Rocket?
Yes R111 14 years now,994 Bonnie, Thrux R & Bobber all tuned up & customised nice & bright like your TBOB. :smile2:

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
Excellent and bold choice on the color. Black is always easiest and works well, but to go for something as in-your-face and yet calm and harmonious is a great achievement. Superb!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Much appreciated!

Awesome! I like it!?
Thanks. Love yours too; simply gorgeous :grin2: I was trying to discern from the pics: are your white walls the Avons?

Excellent and bold choice on the color. Black is always easiest and works well, but to go for something as in-your-face and yet calm and harmonious is a great achievement. Superb!
Wow! What a lovely comment. Thank you for that feedback.

There are some elements that will change now that the tins are in place and my mental vision had crystallized somewhat, but just smaller accents now. Thanks again. Appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stunning Trace :)

Its lovely to see the evolution of the whole process with your photos...

I have big plans for my Bobber too, but I have a 1956 Thunderbird I have to finish first....

It's been a slow process so far, but the engine is back in the frame, and the "Tin" has been designed, but not built yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
P.S. Is the side plate legal in QLD, here in WA that would be "Yellow Stickered" in a heart beat. My neighbour, who has fitted clip ons, on his bobber, was Stikered for having the bar end mirrors mounted incorrectly !!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Stunning Trace :)

Its lovely to see the evolution of the whole process with your photos...

I have big plans for my Bobber too, but I have a 1956 Thunderbird I have to finish first....

It's been a slow process so far, but the engine is back in the frame, and the "Tin" has been designed, but not built yet.
That sounds like an exciting project, especially the "Tin". I look forward to seeing pics as you progress. I have a "younger" 80s Honda CBX project that is making very slow progress too. Hopefully one day I'll be riding her further than lappies of the back yard.

P.S. Is the side plate legal in QLD, here in WA that would be "Yellow Stickered" in a heart beat. My neighbour, who has fitted clip ons, on his bobber, was Stikered for having the bar end mirrors mounted incorrectly !!!!
Side plate needs to conform to these rules:

I checked when I was taking photos yesterday, and it does if I remove the side red reflector piece (the entire piece not just the reflector itself), as at the moment that obscures part of the plate at an angle of 45 degrees. It is the indicators that will be a problem; after asking Triumph Australia a couple of times about legalities for here due to the homologated message on the configurator; they reported that they were okay. But it turns out they are definitely a US version and only red, *sigh*, so I will need to look for a replacement set up fairly quickly. I do have a multi-function set I took off a bike recently that might work, but I'll have to download the wiring diagrams to ensure I connect it up correctly as well as try to attach imperial to metric.
In the meantime, while I'm in North Queensland and staying away from club events, and not giving them a reason to pay attention to me, the police are spread more thinly and not quite as vigilant as they are in South East Queensland. But I value my points, and don't wish to throw away 3 points for no good reason.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That is a seriously beautiful looking bike. One of the most tasteful customisations I've seen on this forum. Puts a lot of the dog's dinners usually seen to shame! - well done.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Very nice, always like a nice bit of orange. Couple of questions:
Is that the Triumph shortened rear guard? If not where from? Did it come with the rear lights unit?
Side mounted plate? Triumph?
thanks

Also like the anti gravity tank, that must be some light paint.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is a seriously beautiful looking bike. One of the most tasteful customisations I've seen on this forum. Puts a lot of the dog's dinners usually seen to shame! - well done.
Thank you for that feedback
Pleased that it appeals to you too.
Very nice, always like a nice bit of orange. Couple of questions:
Is that the Triumph shortened rear guard? If not where from? Did it come with the rear lights unit?
Side mounted plate? Triumph?
thanks
Yes, that's the Triumph short rear guard, lights and side plate. The tailights are multifunction brake and indicator, but the indicator is red only :|
Also like the anti gravity tank, that must be some light paint.
:grin2: Isn't it awesome the way it just floats there??:grin2:
I thought the rotation to the typical view of the tank made more sense of the graphics, despite the horizontal "hanging" chain.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts