Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me try to explain it again...
like when your in 2nd gear and let off the gas an it sounds like a whistling noise or a whining noise.
I want to think it is trans.

I did a google search and got a bunch of hits, but no one said why?
And it was Triumph's but no bobbers.

It reminds me of a gear driven cam instead of chain in v8 car motor.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I did a google search and got a bunch of hits, but no one said why?
And it was Triumph's but no bobbers.
guess those google hits refer to the "triple whistle" the distinctive sound of the three inline cylinder range of Triumph such as the Tigers, Speed and Street Triples....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chain is loose, I've got 200+ miles , it made this noise when sence I left the dealer.
I was hoping this was characteristic of the triumph bobber.
I'm not feeling god about this:frown2:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Swing by your dealer and take another one out for a quick spin. The Triple does have a straight cut gear sound , but the twin doesn't (that my ear picks up). But it could just be the characteristic of the bike , so hearing another might put you at ease.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can't say its something I have noticed, but it does have (afaik) straight cut gears for primary drive, so there will be some gear whine. However as I say its not something that is obvious to me. There are adjustment points for the valve gear backlash but I would have thought that would be noticeable at tickover if it needed adjustment.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If the dealer gives it the all clear then you need to invest in a really loud exhaust, nothing to notice after that :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes I noticed it in 2nd on my Thruxton R & Bobber, took the R back to the dealer they test rode it & confirmed the straight cut gear type noise, then rode their demo bike it also had a bit of a whine.
I asked them to log my visit in case of problems later that was 2 years ago.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The jury is still out on this whinny trans.
Last night I went for a short ride and it seemed louder than what I had remembered.
In first gear i let off the throttle at @ around 20mph and you can hear the whine,
at @ 15 mph its the loudest and at the highest pitch.
Probably going to the dealer Saturday.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can confirm that I also have a slight whine.
Most noticeable in 2nd gear at light deceleration, if I remember correctly.
Nothing out of the ordinary however and it sounds like typical straight cut gears.

Once you have driven an air cooled Kawasaki you get tolerant to such things ;-)

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts