Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been spending money this week:smile2:

I’ve ordered triumph scrambler multi function lights, British legends tail tidy (which will be modified) a small tail light/numberplate light..

My plan is to fit the multi function lights to the tail tidy, and mount the rear light above, then I’m gonna wire them so that the multifunctions provide stop lamps and indicators, and the small tail lamp is just a tail lamp and number plate illumination, although there is the option to make this a brake light as well, I’ll see if it detracts from the other brake lights before I do this....:smile2:

Then best of all, I’ve just got off the phone with Adrian from Canyon motorcycles, and have ordered a set of lightweight 40 spoke alloy wheels in denim black with bronze spokes.... 3.5”x16 front, and 4.25x16 rear, complete with new Avon Cobra tyres:smile2:

I’m gonna be busy:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Enoch, those look amazing and can´t wait to see the pics of them on your Bobber.
I have been thinking about changing to Tubeless type spoked rims as well, but have to stick with OEM sizes due to strict police supervision on mods like that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Enoch, those look amazing and can´t wait to see the pics of them on your Bobber.
I have been thinking about changing to Tubeless type spoked rims as well, but have to stick with OEM sizes due to strict police supervision on mods like that.
Yep, I’m looking forward to getting stuck in, there’s a lead time of around 4 weeks on the wheels, but the tail tidy stuff should be with me by next week, so I can crack on with that:smile2:

Regarding sizes, although the wheels are a bit wider, based on Adrian’s recommendation, I’m sticking with stock tyre sizes.

Surely that wouldn’t get picked up by the fun police over there would it??

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Yep, I’m looking forward to getting stuck in, there’s a lead time of around 4 weeks on the wheels, but the tail tidy stuff should be with me by next week, so I can crack on with that:smile2:

Regarding sizes, although the wheels are a bit wider, based on Adrian’s recommendation, I’m sticking with stock tyre sizes.

Surely that wouldn’t get picked up by the fun police over there would it??
They only look at stock tire sizes and what’s written on the paperwork, so I imagine the rim size would not interest them.
It’s definitely a mod I have to look in to, but also have to do my homework as I have the belt drive fitted - so I’m not sure if this affects anything. Would be an expensive mistake if I get it wrong...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I was initially convince that I needed 17”wheels, and was going to run 130/70-17 on the front and 160/70-17 at the rear.

Adrian was adamant that this would be a mistake, and would screw up the handling... he’s sold over 2700 sets of these wheels, and not had an issue, so I went with his recommendation...

He’s actually in the UK at the moment, so we had a good chat about what I was trying to achieve :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Will be nice to hear if the reduced unsprung weight (positively) affects the handling. I’m pretty sure it will !
I will eventually order from a UK supplier (perhaps HPS) as importing goods from the US is a very stressful affair! And I’ll have to do it before Brexit too...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Eisen, which authority looks at bikes that closely? Don't they have more important matters to attend to?

Chico

·
Registered
64 Posts
Eisen, which authority looks at bikes that closely? Don't they have more important matters to attend to?

Chico
As a Firefighter and fellow member of the frontline I can confirm they have far better things to do: ask other services to do their work, fail fitness tests, be entitled... the list is endless.

I joke f course, great work thin blue line 😂

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts

Chico
Roadside checks by the Guardia Civil (if they really have it in for you) & at my next MOT/ITV/roadworthiness inspection - it’s the second thing they check after the VIN #.
A lot of mods you can get away with, but tires are not one of them. They must be an exact match (size wise) as the OEM.
Emissions are also very stringent and there is zero tolerance for contaminating vehicles come inspection time.
Modding any kind of vehicle is becoming harder and more frustrating every year...

·
Registered
970 Posts
I just had two of my bikes inspected, we just go to a garage that's licensed to do it. The owner was shooting the breeze with me about my bikes then took my registration stub put it in his computer for scanning and stuck the label on the bike. The cost is $6.00 and off I went. Really a useless waist of time.
The police never check anything except that the sticker is current. As a matter of fact in the 53 years I've been riding I haven't been stopped once for a look at the inspection sticker.

Chico

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
The US is wonderful when it comes to such matters. Fewer and fewer places (EU & non-EU alike) are far too constricting. But it is what it is and as I stated in my previous posts, I’ll soon have to revert to stock exhausts (and reinstall the catalytic converter) due to new laws. It was fun while it lasted!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Been spending money this week:smile2:
Always love a bout of retail therapy 0:)

Then best of all, I’ve just got off the phone with Adrian from Canyon motorcycles, and have ordered a set of lightweight 40 spoke alloy wheels in denim black with bronze spokes.... 3.5”x16 front, and 4.25x16 rear, complete with new Avon Cobra tyres:smile2:

I’m gonna be busy:nerd:

Ooooooo, excitingness! I'd been looking at something very similar, but had to decide between these and some upgrades on another vehicle :| So I've ultimately given up on the light weight rim :frown2: But instead have just organised to have my spokes powder coated in a satin goldy bronze. Now I'm trying to decide when I'm ready to have the wheels off for a week or so :nerd: But I'll be really keen to hear how you find the handling and acceleration/braking with the lighter wheels. The tail tidy sounds like it should keep you plenty busy in the interim too. Take it easy on yourself but know we'll be waiting for the pics! :laugh:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And so it begins.... nice surprise today, as I thought the MF lights were just brake and turn:nerd:

Turns out they’re brake, turn and tail lights... this means I won’t have to run an additional tail light above the number plate, which should keep the rear end nice and uncluttered...0:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I installed these on mine recently too. I like how they've separated the indicator to the top half and the tail light and brake to bottom. I had one multifunction set of lights a few years ago with the indicator a small circle inside the outer ring of brake lights and numerous people who followed said to me how difficult it was to see the indicator blinking if I was turning. These don't have that problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts