Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read and heard Pinlock is the way to go for fogging on the inside of the visor. I have an HJC CL-17 and got the Pinlock specifically made for the CL-17's visor.
It SUCKS! The fogging is even worse than without. I double-checked it, installed properly, etc. The silicone bead doesn't seem to stay put. But even so, the fogging seems to happen on the outside of the Pinlock too. It wasn't even that cold this morning...

What are others' experiences?
What is the best method to prevent breath fogging?
Now that it's going to get colder, I really need to get this sorted out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never had issues with a pinlock fogging once fitted. But it is vital that the beading is secure against the plexi of the visor.

Best thing to avoid fogging for me is to have a lid that has good airflow vents. I did also buy some anti fogging stuff years ago before I had a pinlock. Just sprayed and wiped on the inside of the visor. Worked well. But had to re-apply every ride and it only lasts 3-4 hours I found.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Interesting you brought this up. I just took a long six day trip and wondered on my Shoe if the thing really works at all. I didn't get much fogging but, if I do I just open the visor a notch and it all disappears. Shoei's system has a number of notches and the visor holds well on all of them even at speed. I've started to wonder if the anti-fogging would work just as well if I opened the visor a bit, for a few seconds, without the pinlock. One thing I'd like to know is whether anything can get between the pinlock and the visor. My visibility seems a bit less sharp these days, which maybe is due to the age of the Shoei visor. It's sort of very mildly hazy. Over time, does the extra layer of the pillock create this effect because you can't clean between the pinlock and the visor? On my newer AGV helmet, without a pinlock, the vision is sharp and clear as a bell. So, on the AGV, I don't know if it's because the visor is newer or that it doesn't have a pillock.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've used a Pinlock for many years, in several lids, and never had a problem with fogging. However, it does need adjusting correctly, and the adjustment reviewed periodically.
The two pins on the visor have a small cam that, when turned, apply pressure onto the anti fog insert, clamping its rubber seal to the visor. When installing the insert for the first time, it is crucial to get it absolutely square to the visor, so it is best to loosen off both pins. Once installed, turn each pin a fraction and push around the seal gently with your finger to check that it is fully touching the visor all of the way round; a gap, if there is one, will usually only be apparent at the bottom of the insert, right above your mouth, and that will cause horrendous fogging...I suspect that is your problem.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you know what I stopped using a photochromic pinlock insert on my Shoei visor because it fogs up horrendously to the point you can't see a thing. I do however have other pinlock inserts on my other helmets and don't have a problem at all?? Strange but I think it's just a case of bad luck for the one!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you know what I stopped using a photochromic pinlock insert on my Shoei visor because it fogs up horrendously to the point you can't see a thing. I do however have other pinlock inserts on my other helmets and don't have a problem at all?? Strange but I think it's just a case of bad luck for the one!
I have heard that there are some copies/fakes out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not very technical, but I’ve used dish drops in the past. Many years ago so I don’t remember how long each application lasted, but I do remember it worked. Just a small drop applied and rubbed all over the inside of the visor until there’s no residue. Inexpensive and penguin friendly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up having to use some silicone to seal it to the faceplate because it wasn't making a seal. It's messy, but it works now. Still, I'd rather they just made it work right on this face shield in the first place.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got caught out by a change in the stock visor fitted to the Kabuto Aeroblade 3. (nice helmet by the way, and picked it up for less than half retail price on clearance). I ordered a pinlock, but when I went to fit it, it wasn't wide enough. It turned out that Kabuto had begun shipping the helmets with a different visor, which required a different pinlock. I've ordered the correct one now, hopefully it turns up soon. I've never had trouble with the pinlock on my old Shoei NXR though, and it doesn't have adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
I'm a +1 for Pinlocks. Been using them for at least 12 years, and wouldn't be without in Shoei's and Schuberth helmets...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The anti-fogging works great now that I siliconed it in and made it seal. But I wish there were another solution without such a downgrade in optical clarity. It's a little hazy to look through the two layers of plastic. At night it's particularly noticeable. It's often hard to make out finer details in the dark, and lights have a halo around them. I'm constantly flipping my shield up so I can see better at night.

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
Are you sure you have removed the "packaging" film from the non silicon side of the pinlock?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Super Moderator
782 Posts
Yes, positive.
Oooh errr... I have had many pinlocks over the years, and have never experienced a problem at night, other than the standard issues of night vision degradation that goes with advancing years....

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't had any particular issues with the Pinlock in my Nolan N87, aside from the first couple of minutes where my excited panting at being out on the bike fogs things up. Once moving it largely remains clear aside from occasionally when stopped at lights...could be the panting again though!

The biggest issue I have is my specs fogging up inside my helmet.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've had Pinlock on my last two helmets and it's always worked flawlessly, and reading the other comments your experience is really unusual.

Maybe you had a faulty shield why didn't you return it and ask for one that worked?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have no reason to think mine is not a genuine article. But, I'm thinking that with so many who have no complaints, maybe my combo is just an anomaly. I may just go and get a new HLC shield with the pinlock already onboard and start from scratch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts