Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right place to post this.

At least on my bobber the petrol gauge is next to useless. It shows a full tank up until 90 kms ridden then drops two bars and again another two bars after 30kms more after 150 kms total it drops again two bars, showing the empty tank lamp. It then drops one bar (for the first time just one!) and this bar stays for quite some time.

So my question: is this the same with your gauge, especially that it drops two bars down as described above? or is something wrong with my gauge or the bit in the tank which measures the content?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not gotten out of the habit of using the trip meter as a fuel gauge...

- P
yeah that's what I do and so far was not stopped by an empty tank, so the behaviour of my fuel gauge seems to be normal... so why did they put one in if it is not of any use...

·
Super Moderator
771 Posts
Interesting, my Speedmaster drops 1 bar at a time and seems pretty accurate. I've just ridden to Hideout Leathers to try new helmets, 79 mile round trip. Had already ridden 66 miles on the tank, and got to fill up at 142.2 miles. 9.11 litres to the top equating to 70.95 mpUKg… Amazing... and just taken it over the 500 miles to be ready for first service a week today. Loving it increasingly, and getting used to the different riding technique - namely changing down more than I used to with the Stelvio, as the Speedy is very much higher geared... I'm now using the "guidance" always in first even if rolling slowly to pull away, 30mph=3rd gear, 40=4th, 6th in excess of 60.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine drops two bars at a time until the gas light comes on as well.

Still have the habit of looking at mileage as a gauge and not the gauge itself...

I believe the use case for the gauge and gas light is a nice reminder. Kind of like a fail safe for when you forget before going out for a ride. I like having it to remind me if I forget about the mileage I put on it the day before.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
I do miss all the old 'mechanical' bits as I find all these 'electronics' don't inspire confidence.

On an evening ride I filled up from near empty, it took around 30 miles before the milage gage climbed back up to over 100. I watched it slowly limp up one mile at a time. I thought electronics were supposed to be fast.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well that's it then, my petrol seems to be working like Triumph thinks it should work. And yes as almost everyone I do not really rely on the gauge or mileage it shows. I have almost 4,000 kms on the bobber since February and only realised the strange behaviour recently, guess that shows how "important" that is to me

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the bar gauge is rather accurate. The thing that does not work is remaining mileagle, at least over a half full tank. I get 100-105 km remaining mileage for almost the first half of the tank, only then does it stop to go down.
That seems accurate, however. When I fill up after the light goes on, remaining mileage ca. 30 km, I have about 2 liters left in the tank (out of 9.1).

I also use Trip1 to monitor mileage since last refill, but the reserve lamp seems to do its job. The rest not so much.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
If I started looking for fuel at 150 miles I would be walking with a gas can. :|
This is why trirocket3 swapped his tank. I start looking for a station at 120 miles, because if I go by the miles-remaining indicator I end up putting in around 2 US gallons at 120 miles. The extra liter I have strapped to the swingarm gives me peace of mind as well.

·
Super Moderator
771 Posts
My 12.1 litre Speedmaster tank gives about 20 miles more than my 18 litre Stelvio tank....

·
Registered
526 Posts
So we are still talking about this. It's there, it exist, it's not great. Mine drops 2 bars at 50 miles, I only just noticed after 3000 miles. It goes down as I use fuel, that's what I expect to happen, the light comes on at about 80-90 miles. Stating 25 remaining. I use trip 1 for all refuels but trust the fuel countdown implicitly so far, the last unplanned late fuel stop had 2 remaining and just less than 9 litres went in, on previous posts I had --- as I stopped for fuel 8.9 litres went in. We are spoilt, before we were lucky to have a low fuel light, before that we had a sight tube on the tank and a reserve tap, before that nothing. But the fact is the bobber is for getting out and riding stop worrying about the fuel gauge set the trip and when it runs out work from there. Enjoy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So we are still talking about this. It's there, it exist, it's not great.

agreed, main reason for my post was: is that droping by two bars normal or should I do something about it. I learned: it is normal. I guess they use the same speedometer on different bikes as they do with the triples and with the smaller tank, that's they way they cope with it.

End of discussion for me: I know the gauge is working as it is supposed to do. It is useless but nice to look at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i find the gauge no use at all
use my trip computer ever tome i fill up
most ive had out of a tank so far was 98 miles
i always tend to fill up soon after 70 miles just for piece of mind

looking at getting a petrol bottle and leather side arm carrier for it

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm experiencing the same thing with my bike.

I took it in for it's first service and told them about these two things:

1) The fuel gauge tends to go from full, to anything from 3-4 blocks down, to the last two blocks & low fuel indicator...kinda useless.
2) I've had problems with downshifting and it NOT registering on the display, even though the gear shift happened.

Their reply:

1) The fuel gauge works like all bobbers
2) They couldn't find any problems when they analysed it the gear shifting

These sorts of responses felt like a cop-out.

H

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rode the Bobber today for the first time.
Actually went to work with it. when I left the house I had half a tank, mind you my job is only about 15 miles away from my house.
As I left the job on my way home about halfway through my ride, gas light comes on.
I knew from the forum to expect more than the usual trips to the gas station, plus I didn’t know exactly how much gas was in the tank when the bike was delivered.
I stopped off for gas once off the highway to fill up.
Now, to my surprise, once topped off, the range till empty read 78miles! ?
WTF?!
I’m hoping it gets better as the engine breaks in, being it has less than 100miles so far.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts