Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
My 5¢ on personalised plates in the UK

I always go for something that someone else will want in the future.

With that plate you will need someone who is a DJ called Bob with an 18 connection.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Man, that's the price of a decent used car! (25k) It's just shocking. And makes me wonder why? Here in the US ours are just stamped metal with a reflective overlay that has the colors, etc.

From what I recall in the UK when I was there and driving, it was all plastic. A backing plate that reflects with the numbers/letters then a clear plastic cover over that. I just can't fathom why the department of motor vehicles there would charge so much.

Is the whole purpose to deter people from being able to personalized plates?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, that's the price of a decent used car! (25k) It's just shocking. And makes me wonder why? Here in the US ours are just stamped metal with a reflective overlay that has the colors, etc.

From what I recall in the UK when I was there and driving, it was all plastic. A backing plate that reflects with the numbers/letters then a clear plastic cover over that. I just can't fathom why the department of motor vehicles there would charge so much.

Is the whole purpose to deter people from being able to personalized plates?
It’s nothing to do with what the plate is made of. They play on the fact that the plate with correspond with someone’s own initials, name or name relevant to the vehicle the plate is being registered to. The plates themselves cost around £15 :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
It’s nothing to do with what the plate is made of. They play on the fact that the plate with correspond with someone’s own initials, name or name relevant to the vehicle the plate is being registered to. The plates themselves cost around £15 :wink2:
Yah, that was my point, it certainly is not the cost of the plate at all. "They" are trying to keep folks from not getting personalized plates for some reason, simply based on the cost.

Some places in the US it's expensive to ($200), which is also crazy, but def not like what you have shown! yikes.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah, that was my point, it certainly is not the cost of the plate at all. "They" are trying to keep folks from not getting personalized plates for some reason, simply based on the cost.

Some places in the US it's expensive to ($200), which is also crazy, but def not like what you have shown! yikes.
Oh I see... sorry.

I don’t think it’s because they don’t want people to have them here... it’s because they know people will buy them anyway. Simple rule of supply and demand :surprise:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Personal plates aren’t cheap here in Texas but we have a lot of options and background choices. I was able to get a carbon fiber background for mine. When some of the most sought after combos come up they have auctions here. I have seen them for 10k or more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts