Triump Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’ve not ordered anything from abroad for years but recently made a purchase in the form of a oil temp gauge/cap from AJ Cycles.

I believe it was sent directly from Brian’s supplier in Taiwan... and having used the tracking number provided I can see that it was received at Langley in the U.K. nearly 2 weeks ago now but it doesn’t appear to have moved since and I’ve received no word from the post office.

I’ve tried looking for a means of contacting the post office at Langley... but that’s easier said than done. They done appear to have a direct phone number and the only number I’ve found, (which is one of these 3rd party companies that charge to connect your call) doesn’t even work. I’ve also looked for an email but can’t find one and finally tried their online chat... but that doesn’t work either.

I can only assume that there is a customs fee to pay... which I would be happy to pay but frustratingly I can’t get a hold of them and they haven’t reached out to me.

Has anyone experienced the same issue or can anyone offer any advice?

I’m starting to wish I hadn’t bothered now and certainly don’t think I’d bother ordering from abroad again!

Here’s all the info I can gleem from the post office site by means of using the tracking numbe...
https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31255&stc=1&d=1551985465

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Phone and complain is a good starting point - 03457 740 740

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phone and complain is a good starting point - 03457 740 740
I had just managed to find that very nymimber for myself. Part issue of me using a tiny phone screen to search and part them making the number difficult to find on their site.

I’ll give them a bell tomorrow :wink2:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Isn't Langley the home of the CIA?

Mike, be careful not to complain too much...unless you fancy a free orange jump suit and an all-expenses trip to Guantanamo Bay!!! >:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
For my sins I once worked for UK Customs in a Parcel Post Depot. They would have a couple of people checking the labels for goods liable to duty, vat etc. These would then be opened for examination (sometimes) My crap job was to write down all the charges in triplicate. Now being on the receiving end of these charges the part I object to most is the Post
Office's handling charge. Its a scandalous amount for cutting open a package and resealing it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hope this reply isn't insensitive because I do feel for you but to give a balanced view for those thinking of buying from across the pond, my oil temperature gauge arrived today safely - also from AJ Cycles. Took about a week and no customs charges. Good luck tracking yours down mate - it's a quality piece of kit.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I bought a Supercharger for my air-cooled VW from a guy in Texas. I didn't want to declare a lesser price in case it went missing but I explained about the import tax and he said he would sort it.

When the huge box arrived - the outside was covered with 'Happy Birtday' wishes etc.

Great guy.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope this reply isn't insensitive because I do feel for you but to give a balanced view for those thinking of buying from across the pond, my oil temperature gauge arrived today safely - also from AJ Cycles. Took about a week and no customs charges. Good luck tracking yours down mate - it's a quality piece of kit.
I tried calling the post office today... lots of, “presss option 2 for... press option 1 for” etc. Only to be told that the sender needs to open an investigation into a missing parcel and that I can’t as the recipient!

I wouldn’t bother asking AJ Cycles to do this... I appreciate the mark up on such an item is probably small enough without all of that hassle.

I’ll just wait to see if it turns up at some point... if not then I’ll chalk it up to experience.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Is it this one you ordered Mike?

https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/triumph-oil-temperature-gauge-celsius-white-face-street-twin-t120-thruxton-bobber-all-2002on-17121-p.asp This is what I have on my Bobber and I love it. As you can see you can get these from the UK.

For what it's worth, many years ago I ordered some bits from the US, great price, until the item got stopped at customs and I had to pay the duty before they would release. I have never bothered since, from what I can remember the price saving was eaten up in the customs duty.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it this one you ordered Mike?

https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/triumph-oil-temperature-gauge-celsius-white-face-street-twin-t120-thruxton-bobber-all-2002on-17121-p.asp This is what I have on my Bobber and I love it. As you can see you can get these from the UK.

For what it's worth, many years ago I ordered some bits from the US, great price, until the item got stopped at customs and I had to pay the duty before they would release. I have never bothered since, from what I can remember the price saving was eaten up in the customs duty.
It is indeed although I wanted it finished in black and for love nor money couldn’t find one anywhere other than AJ Cycles. It’s a shame because it worked out to cost £53.80, but if I’m hit with import duty also it’ll work out to be far from value.

Having said that at this point I’d just settle for it being delivered! 0:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Look on the bright side, you didn't have 3 car loads of armed police turn up after ordering from overseas.......

I ordered an inner promethius barrel for one of my 'Toy' airsoft rifles - just happens to look like and be called an AK-47, idiots out 'AK-47 Barrel' on the shipping note...................

·
Registered
86 Posts
Been reading up on customs since your post - it seems that they will randomly pick parcels for inspection - if you are one of the unlucky ones then a wait of 4-6 weeks appears to be the norm. Apparently, as an enforcement agency there is no contact number publically available either. I'm sure it will turn up sooner or later and you will be in for a treat - the black looks fantastic.

·
Vendor
448 Posts
The ones we carry are different than the squaredeals ones. Our have a wider body and a 360 degree rotating gauge so you can position any direction. Also when the gauge is installed, you won’t see the non painted area around the oil fill hole.

Mike, if it doesn’t show up shortly, we will send another one out.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ones we carry are different than the squaredeals ones. Our have a wider body and a 360 degree rotating gauge so you can position any direction. Also when the gauge is installed, you won’t see the non painted area around the oil fill hole.

Mike, if it doesn’t show up shortly, we will send another one out.
Thanks
Thanks for the info and the offer Bryan... very kind :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
867 Posts
Look on the bright side, you didn't have 3 car loads of armed police turn up after ordering from overseas.......

I ordered an inner promethius barrel for one of my 'Toy' airsoft rifles - just happens to look like and be called an AK-47, idiots out 'AK-47 Barrel' on the shipping note...................
That must have been an interesting day. Do tell...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:

I finally managed to talk to someone at the post office after countless attempts.

They can see that they received my parcel on the 23rd of Feb, but beyond that have no idea where it is. I asked if they had lost it and was told it certainly seems that way. What a joke they are!

I ordered the part over 1 month ago... I’ve officially lost my sense of humour with this one!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Luckily one of my closest friends lives in NY, so I get anything small sent to him and he brings it over. I couldn't quite get him to bring a set of Canyon wheels over though in his suitcase, haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts