Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Paint care

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Bad.Sergeant 
#1 ·
Owned a Harley for a long time and I know how to make em shiny. Mattes a different beast. I been sticking to soap and water but was interested to see what else you guys used

TIA for the feeedback

#5 ·
I’ve been using Muc-off Motorcycle cleaner , hose the bike , spray this on and let it soak for two to three minutes.
Hose it down well and have a look around
The only part I normally agitate with a soft brush is the rear wheel and spokes (due to chain lube) , sometimes needing a quick second go
I then dry it off , mostly with compressed air. Once drying the tank and guards with a micro fibre cloth , out comes the Motul E11 matte surface cleaner.
I spray some onto a clean cloth and wipe it around. After a few minutes , come back with a second clean cloth and lightly buff.

I’ve spilt fuel on the tank a couple of times (much to my own annoyance) and have quickly wiped it away with paper at the station.
You can see the difference from the where the Motul had been removed, so back at home , another quick go with the Motul and it’s all good again. It leaves some protection and also cleans as well.

Apologies for the long-winded post

#6 ·
Similar to AusBob, although my product is SDOC100 which IMHO is better than Muc Off. Previous bike was a Matt khaki Stelvio NTX, only needed cleaning every year or so...

#8 · (Edited)
X2, I like this stuff a lot. Dry after washing, then apply and wipe off without rubbing.

A couple of notes.

The matte scratches with so much as a dirty look from your girlfriend. Just my gloved hand and my jeans have made a couple of small scratches. Easily buffed out on a gloss/clearcoat - not so with matte.

If you peel the factory stickers - even when new as I did, there will be a color mismatch. Goof-off works the best. The dealer told me to let it sit in the sun a while. Whether that works over time, I don't know yet.

a couple of fuel spills haven't hurt the paint. But one spill removed the top layer of the badge/logo, and one of the letters became dislodged. For now, the loosened letter is holding up. But I may need to replace it. The cost per logo is $45US. I'm guessing the logo sticks better to clearcoat than to matte.

*Footnote. It might have been my gloves that did the actual scratch, but my disapproving GF was most certainly nearby at least. I have since removed her from the equation.

Reactions: harley_convert
#10 ·
I put Dr Beasleys Matte Coat sealant on my my matte black bike. Its like a good wax but better. I clean it with non-ammonia glass cleaner as well. But it offers zero protection. Other times i use Wizards Matte coat detailer. Its affordable and works well and offers a little protection. Again i really like using glass cleaner but over time it will dry out the paint.

#11 ·
I put Dr Beasleys Matte Coat sealant on my my matte black bike. Its like a good wax but better. I clean it with non-ammonia glass cleaner as well. But it offers zero protection. Other times i use Wizards Matte coat detailer. Its affordable and works well and offers a little protection. Again i really like using glass cleaner but over time it will dry out the pait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.