Triump Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Courtesy of Stuart Fillingham

I hate Bobbins and I am not over keen on trying a Paddock stand, but am considering giving it a go, want do some mods this year. Anyone recommend a set of Bobbins that look half decent?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same stand....been using it with Triumph bobbins and it seems OK:smile2:
Never used a stand, does the stand give you confidence when lifting. I can imagine the first lift the heart races a bit. I've got a scissor lift and the first time a bit daunting, but now no bother. The benefit I can see with a stand versus lift is you got full access to area beneath frame/engine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Courtesy of Stuart Fillingham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V48BlCA9jE

I hate Bobbins and I am not over keen on trying a Paddock stand, but am considering giving it a go, want do some mods this year. Anyone recommend a set of Bobbins that look half decent?
Well, you can unscrew the bobbins after the job...
What Julioroque said, I take mine out every time and put the plugs back in (although not all the way, as they were a bit of a bear to get out the first time), partly cause I think they look goofy, and because my daughter and I share the same bobbins/stand.

As for confidence, I think its safer than the floor jack I used to use by it self. anythings better than that wobbly setup :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
Never used a stand, does the stand give you confidence when lifting. I can imagine the first lift the heart races a bit. I've got a scissor lift and the first time a bit daunting, but now no bother. The benefit I can see with a stand versus lift is you got full access to area beneath frame/engine.
Not had any trouble up to now.... I must admit I’m not a fan of Stuart’s method in the Video....

The way I do it is to stand at the right rear of the bike, place the stand under the bobbins, and press down with my left hand.

My theory being if the bike falls away from me, it’ll land on the sides stand, if it starts to fall towards me, I can hold it up:smile2:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I always install the Triumph bobbins and use my paddock stand while I have the front wheel in my chock stand. Takes all the worry out of lifting and setting down. When I take the bobbins out, I replace them with a hex head screw, so it keeps the threads clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
You don't need Bobbins. Bobbins do not belong on a Bobber. I have Bobbins on my Sport bikes. On the Bobber I use 2 socket cap screws. When I'm done doing the work I simply remove the screws! >:)

Oh....and they were free, found them in the spares box!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
What's your secret? I tried to lift my bike with my paddock stand while I had the front wheel chocked and I couldn't do it. :frown2:
Once I have it in the chock stand I just slowly push down and forward on the paddock stand and the wheels on it slowly slide forward under the rear tire until it's off the ground and the stand is firmly planted on the driveway/ground.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I grab the fender brace with my left hand and lift while pushing down on the paddock stand, works easy. I also agree strongly with Ysoslo for those that are not confident.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right I think I'm going to go for the Paddock stand and will use in conjunction with a front wheel chock, the only problem is most of the chocks I can see are for 17" to 21" the bobber black has a 16" front wheel, any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Once I have it in the chock stand I just slowly push down and forward on the paddock stand and the wheels on it slowly slide forward under the rear tire until it's off the ground and the stand is firmly planted on the driveway/ground.
Thanks. I'll try again.

It sounds like a great idea to me. In fact one of the techs at the dealership told me to do that but I'm just not having any luck.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Right I think I'm going to go for the Paddock stand and will use in conjunction with a front wheel chock, the only problem is most of the chocks I can see are for 17" to 21" the bobber black has a 16" front wheel, any recommendations?
The chock I have is completely adjustable, so if you don't already have one, the one I have may be worth your time and money (see link previously in thread).

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts

Why buy a chock stand? You said you have a scissor lift that your using just now. I use a scissor lift to get the back wheel off the ground then I put my paddock stand under the bobbins and just use the paddock stand to lift the last little bit. Easy!

Some paddock stands in combination with the height of the bobbins are just a pain to use to lift the bike up. The angle and geometry just isn't right, as someone else said even with a wheel chock they are struggling. It doesn't help that there's not much to grab on to at the back of the Bobber to steady it!!

I used to always get someone to help, but I didn't want to have to do that every time, then I thought of the scissor lift, which I had lying in the garage anyway. Simple and safe!!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
With the Pit bull extended handle hybrid, and a small 2x4 block under the kickstand, I have zero issues raising the bike by myself. Having the block under the kickstand at start helps remove some of that need to steady it as it's more upright already. And the handle detaches and clips in so you can move around it without tripping.

Not super expensive but not cheap either.

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why buy a chock stand? You said you have a scissor lift that your using just now. I use a scissor lift to get the back wheel off the ground then I put my paddock stand under the bobbins and just use the paddock stand to lift the last little bit. Easy!

Some paddock stands in combination with the height of the bobbins are just a pain to use to lift the bike up. The angle and geometry just isn't right, as someone else said even with a wheel chock they are struggling. It doesn't help that there's not much to grab on to at the back of the Bobber to steady it!!

I used to always get someone to help, but I didn't want to have to do that every time, then I thought of the scissor lift, which I had lying in the garage anyway. Simple and safe!!
I do indeed have a scissor lift, but when I need to do jobs that require me to get beneath the bike, i.e oil, de cat etc a combination of paddock and chock will assist. Also you can never have enough tools/bike equip (don't tell the wife mind).

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I do indeed have a scissor lift, but when I need to do jobs that require me to get beneath the bike, i.e oil, de cat etc a combination of paddock and chock will assist. Also you can never have enough tools/bike equip (don't tell the wife mind).
Couldn't agree more. I'm always looking for a reason to buy more tools......pretty soon, I'll need a larger roof to house them. Another garage!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts