Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an Oxford premium paddock stand and bobbins. The problem is that I cannot for the life of me lift the Bobber. I tried a 2x4 under the kickstand. I had someone hold the bike upright. I held the bike upright while someone else tried. Full counter weight off the ground with feet dangling - nothing. I've seen the Bobber lifted effortlessly on YouTube with the exact same paddock stand so what gives?

·
Registered
689 Posts
You need a low profile paddock stand. My Pit-Bull stand wouldn’t work with the Bobber so I had to purchase a low profile stand from Harbor Freight for the Bobber.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Front wheel chock and a pit bull stand. No problem, left hand holds the rear fender strut right hand push down on the pit bull use your right knee with the right hand if you can’t “get it up”. No 2x4 needed or worry about the bike falling

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just picked up an Oxford premium paddock stand and bobbins. The problem is that I cannot for the life of me lift the Bobber. I tried a 2x4 under the kickstand. I had someone hold the bike upright. I held the bike upright while someone else tried. Full counter weight off the ground with feet dangling - nothing. I've seen the Bobber lifted effortlessly on YouTube with the exact same paddock stand so what gives?
I had the same problem with my paddock stand (that I used with my previous bikes...)
So, or you buy a low profile paddock stand, or you buy a steel bar 10mm of diameter about 50cm of length and place it inside the hole on the wheel hub and you can use a standard paddock stand as I did it. :wink2:
And you can also remove the bobbins, if you like...

(I took the picture some month ago, before changing the seat and adding the RAM Mounts brackets...)

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
I feel your pain, it's all about leverage and with the bobbin mounting points on the Bobber being so low there's not much of that! One day I'll buy a new paddock stand with a long arm attached but in the meantime I get buy with a Tech's Bobbin Stand Kit that they made for the Street Twin but fits the Bobber too. It puts the bobbins only a few inches higher but what a difference it makes, with it fitted it's super easy to get up...Oooh Matron!!!

Of course it's no good for removing the back wheel and it does makes adjusting the chain a bit tricky, but for lubing the chain and getting the back wheel off the ground it works a treat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You need a low profile paddock stand. My Pit-Bull stand wouldn’t work with the Bobber so I had to purchase a low profile stand from Harbor Freight for the Bobber.

+1 I did also. There is a good video out on YouTube talking about a similar stand to that which is sold by Harbor Freight. The one in the video is black, but looks identical other than the paint.
The first time I used it, I had my bud standing at ready to assist; but it all worked well, thanks to watching the video:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great idea if he’s not trying to remove the rear wheel.
Yes of course!
I use it only for parking in my garage to avoid tyre deformations... :grin2:

Reactions: Bob's_yer_firkin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fabrizio, what do you mean by "tire deformation"?

Chico
I apologise for my bad english...

I mean when the bike is parked in garage and the tires are in contact with the floor with a small area for long period.
The tires can deform due to the weight concentrated on that areas.

I hope I explained it correctly... :confused:

·
Registered
712 Posts
I usually park my bike with the front tire in a Baxley Sport Chock. Then I grab my Pitbull stand's handle and push down with my right hand while grasping the fender hoop and pulling up with my left hand. It feels somewhat difficult at first but once it budges, it goes right up with ease.

I do the same thing when it's on the kickstand but it takes more practice and there's a bit of risk unless you use a 2x4.

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all for the invaluable leverage solutions that I wish I knew before purchasing my current setup. As I refuse to let this new paddock stand go to waste, I'm looking into 10mm steel rods and I ordered this scissor jack which might give me combo options down the line. Feedback appreciated on the scissor jack as my return window is still open!

(Still wondering how Stuart Fillingham lifted the bike so easily on YouTube with essentially the same setup as mine!)

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the same problem with my paddock stand (that I used with my previous bikes...)
So, or you buy a low profile paddock stand, or you buy a steel bar 10mm of diameter about 50cm of length and place it inside the hole on the wheel hub and you can use a standard paddock stand as I did it. :wink2:
And you can also remove the bobbins, if you like...

(I took the picture some month ago, before changing the seat and adding the RAM Mounts brackets...)
This is brilliant! Are there any load issues to be aware of when shopping online?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Another term that you can use is "flat spotting".
Fabrizio and Spencer, I knew what you meant. I believe this idea of a "flat spot" is a non issue with modern tires. I store my bikes during the winter months on plywood and they don't move for 5-6 months. I never noticed any deformation of the tires.

Chico

1 - 20 of 37 Posts