Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had a few flat batteries over the last few weeks. Sometimes happens after two days, sometimes takes two weeks. Today was the final straw though.

After managing to get it charged enough to start and take it out for a ride. Engine management light stayed on all the way out (10 miles or so), with the ABS and traction control lights flicking on and off for the first few miles. Did what I needed to do and the engine management light stayed on all the way back.

I've plugged it in to the Dealertool and its giving me error

P1698 - Sensor 5v supply, circuit malfunction.

I've reset it now and it appears to have gone off, but anyone know what it is and whether I need to worry about it?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Are you still using the OEM battery?
If so, I’d replace it as it’s probably the culprit for all the issues you’re having.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you still using the OEM battery?
If so, I’d replace it as it’s probably the culprit for all the issues you’re having.
I am, but I was (foolishly perhaps!) assuming that as the bike is only 14 months old, it would still be ok! Its going in for a software update and something else anyway, I'll see what they say. It was checked at the service last month and they did say that the battery was healthy enough

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
In that case I’m pretty sure it’s the battery throwing up all the error codes and faults.
You can test the battery all you want, but when the start to go, they do the strangest things (even when kept religiously on trickle chargers).

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
The dealer will always say the battery is healthy and the so called “health check” is pretty useless - both for cars & bikes alike.

In their defense, a sick battery can look perfectly healthy when hooked up.
It’s a known issue and happened quite a bit here on the forum. A new battery solved the issues.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am, but I was (foolishly perhaps!) assuming that as the bike is only 14 months old, it would still be ok! Its going in for a software update and something else anyway, I'll see what they say. It was checked at the service last month and they did say that the battery was healthy enough
Over a year on an OE Triumph battery!!

Got to be a record!

·
Registered
112 Posts
My battery is over 2 years no issues. It has spent two winters out of the bike on a trickle charger it will be back on the charger next week for winter

·
Registered
275 Posts
FYI I had to replace my battery after a winter without a trickle/maintenance charger. No issues with the battery, it was me not paying attention. It was dead and would not take a charge. Bought a new battery from my Triumph dealer. Same battery as the factory install. Been on charger since. No issues.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just Drive the bike a couple of miles and recheck it again using the dealer tool. If the fault (p1698) did not reappear, that means you’re good and probably its just the battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since your battery is already old and needs to be changed I suggest change it first before rechecking the bike with the dealer tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts