Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
Shame it’s not compatible with iPhones.
DealerTool is working just fine for me at the moment, but nice to see other options finally popping up.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I bought DealerTool in June but TuneECU looks much easier to use. If I didn’t have DT, I’d get this. Now if it can remap the bike, then I’d be very interested and might convert from DT and PCV.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I couldn’t help it and bought an OBDLink MX+ and TuneECU. Mainly to clear codes on my cars but it works as well as DealerTool on the Bobber with the added benefit of being able to remap the ECU. Just a note, my MX+ came with firmware 4.5.27 and needed to be upgraded (5.1.3) before it would work with my Bobber. TuneECU isn’t very clear about it (states OBDLink firmware 4.5.x will work) except on the change log page:

TuneECU Change Log 4.5.32 (23 Aug 2019)
Adding maps for Triumph Tiger 800 MY 2018+* & Bonneville Bobber*
*This model can be remapped only with the OBDLink LX or MX Bluetooth (firmware version 4.3 or up)
and with the OBDLink MX+ model (firmware version 5.0 or up)

·
Registered
29 Posts
As an old school scooter bum I have to get up to speed with this. First EFI bike ever. I'd like to make some changes to my ride down the road so I will be looking into this. I am completely lost on most of this. **** tech has really out run me since I rode last.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I couldn’t help it and bought an OBDLink MX+ and TuneECU. Mainly to clear codes on my cars but it works as well as DealerTool on the Bobber with the added benefit of being able to remap the ECU. Just a note, my MX+ came with firmware 4.5.27 and needed to be upgraded (5.1.3) before it would work with my Bobber. TuneECU isn’t very clear about it (states OBDLink firmware 4.5.x will work) except on the change log page:

TuneECU Change Log 4.5.32 (23 Aug 2019)
Adding maps for Triumph Tiger 800 MY 2018+* & Bonneville Bobber*
*This model can be remapped only with the OBDLink LX or MX Bluetooth (firmware version 4.3 or up)
and with the OBDLink MX+ model (firmware version 5.0 or up)
Hi, I am confused about choosing the OBD Bluetooth. What is the functional model? Where did you buy?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi, I am confused about choosing the OBD Bluetooth. What is the functional model? Where did you buy?
What is your intended use? If you’re just going to clear fault codes and CEL, then I’d recommend DealerTool. This is the safer option. However if you intend to modify/fine tune the ECU and remap, throttle plate derestrict, or change rev limit then TuneECU (with Bluetooth OBDLink) is the ticket. But there is a risk of bricking your ECU and this will void your 2yr warranty.

If you’re intent on proceeding then buy any of the OBDLink readers (direct from their website or amazon). The LX/MX/MX+ all work the same for our bike use. Download the OBDLink app and pair to your OBD reader in your car to check/upgrade the firmware. Now you should be able to connect the OBD reader to your bike and use TuneECU on an Android device. Caveat emptor... if you don’t know what you’re doing then you run the risk of seriously damaging your bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't want to work with the ECU map.
All I need is a fault check, a service interval reset and an ABS to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
654 Posts
All I need is a fault check, a service interval reset and an ABS to bleed the brakes.
Both DealerTool and TuneECU will do those. If you’ll never want to mess with the ECU then get DealerTool. However if there’s a chance you will, then get TuneECU.

·
Vendor
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both DealerTool and TuneECU will do those. If you’ll never want to mess with the ECU then get DealerTool. However if there’s a chance you will, then get TuneECU.
I will just add that tunecu is way more user friendly than dealer tool.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is your intended use? If you’re just going to clear fault codes and CEL, then I’d recommend DealerTool. This is the safer option. However if you intend to modify/fine tune the ECU and remap, throttle plate derestrict, or change rev limit then TuneECU (with Bluetooth OBDLink) is the ticket. But there is a risk of bricking your ECU and this will void your 2yr warranty.

If you’re intent on proceeding then buy any of the OBDLink readers (direct from their website or amazon). The LX/MX/MX+ all work the same for our bike use. Download the OBDLink app and pair to your OBD reader in your car to check/upgrade the firmware. Now you should be able to connect the OBD reader to your bike and use TuneECU on an Android device. Caveat emptor... if you don’t know what you’re doing then you run the risk of seriously damaging your bike.
If I don't want to remap, do I have to have an OBDLink LX, or just a cheaper version of the OBD2 BT (ELM327)?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts