Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New member here and looking to step into my first motorcycle since completing my safety class. Taking my time and been doing my research for size, fit and handling. I am 5'8" and looking for a low centered, flat footed stance. trying to keep within 750-1200cc or under 100bhp. Must be liquid cooled. Probably will never do long interstate treks on it over 4hrs. I foresee mostly urban hopping.

I am down to 4 choices:

Honda Phantom - very affordable used, like the shaft drive concept, but worry I might out grow out of it quickly

Indian Scout - Great horsepower, rides 2, not sure I am totally sold on the looks

Bobber - Love everything about this bike, bit expensive, but cant have wife as passenger (hidden design bonus?)

Street Cup - Love the cafe throw back look, manageable price, rides 2 - I really like this one also

Now I understand this is a Triumph Bobber forum, but would like to hear thoughts from those with experience on the other models.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome....... I believe that you have already answered your own quandary within your question... "I am 5'8" and looking for a low centered, flat footed stance. trying to keep within 750-1200cc or under 100bhp. Must be liquid cooled." Surely with very sentence is just the longhand for the word "BOBBER".

Not 100% on the Indian yet either and the other bikes are too under-powered for me. The Bobber has it all EXCEPT pillion space. Unless taking your good lady is a must, then I am afraid you will have to join the Bobber owner ranks immediately.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Of course the Bobber is amazing and in my opinion experience can be gained on any bike. Race rep to Honda Goldwing - it is up to the rider to get out there, be responsible and DEFINITELY take extra riding courses. During my first two years on a bike you would laugh if i told you how many courses i did (on track, road, etc...)

I have had alot of bikes and i recommend buying a slightly more user friendly Honda as a first one. Something along the lines of a NC750X (with gears, not DCT).
If you are commuting (and riding on dark, wet roads), you want to be relatively high up in a commanding riding position with good (standard LED) lighting and still be able to place both feet on the ground if needed. The bike should be well balanced both when lane splitting traffic and on part throttle...and not surprise you with weak braking (like the Bobber does at first).

I say this becasue the Honda is not a bike that will stir or create emotion. If you do drop it, shrug your shoulders and pick it back up. It will be a tool to teach you, instill confidence and help you move on to the exact bike that suits your style, needs & wants. Dare i say, a BOBBER :wink2:
Again - thats just my opinion. And there is nothing wrong with taking the Bobber as a first bike, as no matter which bike you start with - thats where the learning curve begins.

Best of luck & let us know what you choose!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I say this because the Honda is not a bike that will stir or create emotion. If you do drop it, shrug your shoulders and pick it back up. It will be a tool to teach you, instill confidence and help you move on to the exact bike that suits your style, needs & wants.

That is what makes this decision so difficult. Your words above are wise. No doubt the Honda lacks overall cool and lifestyle factor, but the there is something said for its reliability and simplicity. I really have not read anything bad about them. In the used market, you can pick them up with less than 6000mi and some aftermarket goodies for a third to half less than new. I assume there are so many used available because others realized they wanted something different in 1-2yrs of ownership. Like you said if I dump it I shed less tears than a 10-12K new bike.

But heck, I really could live with the bobber or street cup....<sigh>

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Of course the Bobber is amazing and in my opinion experience can be gained on any bike. Race rep to Honda Goldwing - it is up to the rider to get out there, be responsible and DEFINITELY take extra riding courses. During my first two years on a bike you would laugh if i told you how many courses i did (on track, road, etc...)

I have had alot of bikes and i recommend buying a slightly more user friendly Honda as a first one. Something along the lines of a NC750X (with gears, not DCT).
If you are commuting (and riding on dark, wet roads), you want to be relatively high up in a commanding riding position with good (standard LED) lighting and still be able to place both feet on the ground if needed. The bike should be well balanced both when lane splitting traffic and on part throttle...and not surprise you with weak braking (like the Bobber does at first).

I say this becasue the Honda is not a bike that will stir or create emotion. If you do drop it, shrug your shoulders and pick it back up. It will be a tool to teach you, instill confidence and help you move on to the exact bike that suits your style, needs & wants. Dare i say, a BOBBER :wink2:
Again - thats just my opinion. And there is nothing wrong with taking the Bobber as a first bike, as no matter which bike you start with - thats where the learning curve begins.

Best of luck & let us know what you choose!

Totally agree ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts