Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Noticing one or two very small drops of oil every few weeks, about 1000 miles on it, is this normal or something that needs to be addressed?

Thank you,
Jim

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Personally I would not worry about one or two small drops over a few weeks. Consider it part of the authenticity. Any idea where it's coming from?

What I might do is to go round the bolts on the clutch cover and alternator cover and just make sure they're tight. I think the torque is 10 NM, which is not a lot, but if one is loose it might give a weep.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I would get it checked and make sure it is noted in your bikes history at the dealer.
That way if any larger problems arise, there is proof that an issue was pre-existing.

It seems quite a common problem (easily resolved) was the ¨gally plug¨. I still dont have a clue where or what that is, though.

There are quite a few oil leak threads within the forum. Here is one of them which points to the gally plug as the culprit:
https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/625-triumph-bobber-issues-problems/15213-small-oil-leak.html

A search will bring up more.

I hope you find the cause and if you do, please post back here to assist others who have the same kind of leak.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Jim the bike shouldn't leak oil, it's definitely not normal. These are not the shoddy, slapped together bikes that came out of Meriden in the '70's. Some people have seen what they think is oil which turned out to be drips of oily goop from the chain. If you apply too much lube it gets flung off under the sprocket cover and when hot it will drip. However there have been some other reports such as this one where it is an inspection plug leaking. I would assume with that mileage its still under warranty so I would get the dealer to check.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much all for the detailed information, really appreciate it.
Sounds like the "gally plug", no idea where it is but will do some research, oil drip is from the opposite side of the chain and toward the back, near the rear tire. I will also check for any lose clutch bolts and filter(read it in another forum thread) this week and if it's not something obvious it will be dealer time.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Are you sure it’s oil and not the breather hose pipe dripping some stuff out (as it should do sometimes)?

The charcoal filled EVAP system has a hose; a small black rubber tube that sits to the rear of the bike near the wheel.

Just asking in case it’s that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure looked like oil but now you got me thinking, I will double that. I didn't even know there's evap system....
Eisen77, thank you very much for this info.

·
Registered
278 Posts
FYI: A galley plug (0il or cooling galley) is the same as a freeze plug on a car block casting. It is a hole in the block to clean out the casting sand etc. Then is plugged with either a press in plug (most autos) or the hole is threaded and plugged with a threaded plug.

Look at the block for leakage here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did a quick recheck on my way out, no drips yet(parked since Sunday), but do notice the grey connector underneath is a little oily, attached a picture.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Did a quick recheck on my way out, no drips yet(parked since Sunday), but do notice the grey connector underneath is a little oily, attached a picture.
You’ll want to take that in to have it diagnosed.
It’s definitely oil and it may be weeping it’s way down slowly via the whole harness and contaminating the regulator/rectifier.
It’s not normal and should not be happening.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Psychopasta, no time to go to dealer now :), will do an oil change within a week anyways and check more detailed, and keep an eye on it. Have warranty till February so in the fall if its still happening definitely dealer.
Thank you all again for the replies and information.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was looking underneath my bike and saw a bead of oil forming near the drain plug as well as on the filter.

The dealer told me this is normal. But I disagree.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had this exact same leak last year. It’s leaking at the stator wire. It will not self-correct...you’ll need to take it to the dealer to inspect that wiring assembly and fix it. It’s a very slow leak; mine would take 2-3 days to start actually dripping but the oily film became noticeable within a day.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I had this exact same leak last year. It’s leaking at the stator wire. It will not self-correct...you’ll need to take it to the dealer to inspect that wiring assembly and fix it. It’s a very slow leak; mine would take 2-3 days to start actually dripping but the oily film became noticeable within a day.
Did they replace your whole harness (the thick stator cables) and regulator? Or just clean it up and send you on your way?

·
Registered
424 Posts
perrymoa, if you’re mechanically inclined, clean it up good and start a new watch yourself. Less downtime on your bike and you’ll be sure what it is before making an appointment for repair. Jm2c

1 - 20 of 27 Posts