Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I leaned my bike (light drop and a stop light) thanks to a NYC yellow cab, who, of course, immediately ran away. I inspected the bike for damages right then and there. Nothing but a few minor scratches on the right mirror and the crash bar.
A few days later I went to the dealership to change the rear lights (they promised that for FREE when I purchased the bike). They called me an hour later, asking $50+ for it... to which I laughed at them for.
THEN they told me they found an oil leak and possible front fork misalignment, and they suspect the reason is the scratches...
I told them that I spotted no oil leak or drops that morning (private parking), and immediately went back to the dealership to see it with my own eyes. However it wasn't a real leak, but the bottom is sweating, which they explained that it might be a spill over when I leaned the bike, or a damage caused by it, or a defective gasket. I hope it is the latter, because it's covered by the warranty.
So my fear is that they will find a way to write it off as a physical damaged caused by me to deny the service.
Also while driving away, the steering felt much looser than before at low speed.
I'm legit paranoid that they screwed my bike somehow and now trying to cover it up.

Any idea why the engine bottom might sweat oil?
Is there an adjustment setting for steering that they changed or I need to tighten something up?
I ride once a week and had no collision.

·
Registered
641 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I leaned my bike...

Any idea why the engine bottom might sweat oil?
Your engine is not "sweating" oil. Clean it up and take a close look at this area:
Hood Trunk Bumper Automotive tire Steering wheel

It would appear to be leaking down from here and then spreading to the undercarriage. Note the oil droplet in this shot:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

It looks to have been going on for a while judging by all the road grit mixed with the oil. Good luck tracing your leak and finding a reasonable cost to repair.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the input, I'll try to degrease it over the weekend.
Any thoughts on the steering?
If it were me I would re-torque the entire front end - axle nut, triple tree, etc.

Treat it like a tire change, just loosen everything up, cycle the suspension, then tighten it back down in the correct order (use a torque wrench, please). There are a ton of videos on YouTube ...

It's possible something got tweaked and one or both of the shocks are being irregularly stressed.

The reason you do this is to relax any lateral stresses on the moving parts, allow everything to straighten up in relation to the axle, and so on.

It's unlikely a simple tip-over caused any serious damage, but if your front end wasn't torqued to spec to begin with it may have moved things around.

If you don't trust your dealer, find a friend with a shop, join a local moto club or something. You can do this work yourself and know that you've done it right. No questions about quality. And it's much cheaper too!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it were me I would re-torque the entire front end - axle nut, triple tree, etc.

Treat it like a tire change, just loosen everything up, cycle the suspension, then tighten it back down in the correct order (use a torque wrench, please). There are a ton of videos on YouTube ...

It's possible something got tweaked and one or both of the shocks are being irregularly stressed.

The reason you do this is to relax any lateral stresses on the moving parts, allow everything to straighten up in relation to the axle, and so on.

It's unlikely a simple tip-over caused any serious damage, but if your front end wasn't torqued to spec to begin with it may have moved things around.

If you don't trust your dealer, find a friend with a shop, join a local moto club or something. You can do this work yourself and know that you've done it right. No questions about quality. And it's much cheaper too!
Thanks for the great advise.
I'm a hermit by nature, joining clubs ain't for me.
All my friends with garages are far far away... 🥲 I only have a backyard and it's getting cold out there.
I'll try to work it out with the dealership and learn to do it all myself.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your engine is not "sweating" oil. Clean it up and take a close look at this area:
View attachment 56584

It would appear to be leaking down from here and then spreading to the undercarriage. Note the oil droplet in this shot:
View attachment 56585

It looks to have been going on for a while judging by all the road grit mixed with the oil. Good luck tracing your leak and finding a reasonable cost to repair.
The first photo looks to me like chain goop from excess lube that's coming off the countershaft sprocket. When the engine is hot it will cause it to drip like that. When I swapped out my chain for a belt there was quite a lot of oily gunk built up around the sprocket. Something that is no longer an issue for me. As Chico notes above it really could do with a good degreasing. One potential area where you can get oil spread back like that is from the alternator cover. There is a grommet that seals the alternator wire where it comes out of the alternator cover. Its a pretty crappy design and nearly impossible to tell if its located properly as its hidden by the cover. They seal it at the factory with some kind of grey sealant but if it is leaking it will work its way back like your photos show. However it would primarily be on the right hand side.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first photo looks to me like chain goop from excess lube that's coming off the countershaft sprocket. When the engine is hot it will cause it to drip like that. When I swapped out my chain for a belt there was quite a lot of oily gunk built up around the sprocket. Something that is no longer an issue for me. As Chico notes above it really could do with a good degreasing. One potential area where you can get oil spread back like that is from the alternator cover. There is a grommet that seals the alternator wire where it comes out of the alternator cover. Its a pretty crappy design and nearly impossible to tell if its located properly as its hidden by the cover. They seal it at the factory with some kind of grey sealant but if it is leaking it will work its way back like your photos show. However it would primarily be on the right hand side.
Thank you.
I degreased the bike yesterday and checked for the chain lube, but I can't tell if there is anything left in it.
Automotive tire Fixture Grey Motor vehicle Rim

Looks empty though

·
Registered
50 Posts
It still breaks normal.
I'm going to the dealership tomorrow for full diagnostic.
Hopefully they won't screw me.
You could easily remove the sprocket cover and reservoir cap and look inside. Top it off if needed. But if it's super low, you may still want someone to inspect in case there are other issues.

Font Parallel Art Document Paper

1 - 20 of 33 Posts