Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if I'm away for four months and not riding :crying:, should oil be changed before, after storage or both? Thanks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
In my opinion, after.
4 months is not that long.

Hope all is well !
Four months is certainly enough time for particles to come out of solution and settle in the sump. If the oil is fairly new then it probably doesn't matter since there won't be too much junk that passed the almost new oil filter (assuming that it was changed at the last oil change). In my part of the world we mothball our bikes for a few winter months so I have some experience with this issue. It's always better to have clean oil when storing a motor for several months.

Chico

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Knowing Jerrman I doubt the oil currently in his bike will be old or low quality.
When my bikes were stored for over a year I would have them drained and prepped for long term storage. But 4 months? If it was my bike I would change the oil after this short period.

If it was a track bike I would change before and after. But not so on a well used road bike.

Another thought; Fuel may go bad in this time if not stored correctly.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Anyway, just want to add that this is my personal opinion and what I would do - and have done - on my bike(s).
I’m not a mechanic and I’m sure Chico has a very valid point too.

If the oil change question is a major concern, I would just change before and after to erase any doubt or worry you have.

I would also elevate the bike with paddock stands.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Knowing Jerrman I doubt the oil currently in his bike will be old or low quality.
When my bikes were stored for over a year I would have them drained and prepped for long term storage. But 4 months? If it was my bike I would change the oil after this short period.

If it was a track bike I would change before and after. But not so on a well used road bike.

Another thought; Fuel may go bad in this time if not stored correctly.
Eisen, you make a good point about the fuel, although that wasn't the topic of this thread. A fuel stabilizer is definitely recommended when storing fuel for more than one month. The best one available in the US is Star Tron, it contains enzimes that counteract the negative effects of gasohol on engine seals in the fuel system.
Jerrman's question is as old as which oil is best. My adopted Cambodian son isn't as "well" informed as we think we are he didn't change oil in his new Toyota for over 60M miles. He just added oil as needed, the car ran fine when he traded it in. Go figure.

Chico

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eisen, you make a good point about the fuel, although that wasn't the topic of this thread. A fuel stabilizer is definitely recommended when storing fuel for more than one month. The best one available in the US is Star Tron, it contains enzimes that counteract the negative effects of gasohol on engine seals in the fuel system.
Jerrman's question is as old as which oil is best. My adopted Cambodian son isn't as "well" informed as we think we are he didn't change oil in his new Toyota for over 60M miles. He just added oil as needed, the car ran fine when he traded it in. Go figure.

Chico
Had oil changed when I came back to U.S. in February (after four months storage), so I'll probably do it before leaving. Chico, that's just what I do with the fuel, Star Tron fuel stabilizer. Everything was good when I came back and I assume will be again, when I return after this trip. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
As mentioned already and I agree... the oil will be absolutely fine. Fully synthetic oils are far more stable and in any case 4 month’s is nothing.

Also as highlights bun Eisen... petrol does run for the worse more swiftly by comparison to oil, but modern bike/cars ecu’s will compensate for the deterioration in octane.

But, something you must be sure of doing when leaving your bike standing (arguably even if for some weeks) is to ensure the fuel tank is brimmed to the top. If not, rust can and does form on the inside of a fuel tank and even a small amount being pulled into the fuel system is enough to cause running issues.

Also and perhaps most importantly... don’t forget to tuck her in, to have sweet dreams and not to let the bed bugs bite ;)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike, my mechanic agreed that since it’s only four months storage and I’ve only been back riding since July that oil will be fine. Appreciate the reminder though of filling fuel to the brim. And I will, per Chico’s reminder, add Star Tron stabilizer. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
My own view is to let the bike stand as-is, and then give it an oil change and small service before you ride it. I also don't start the engine to heat the oil up before a change if the bike has been standing. All the oil drains to the sump, just open the drain plug and let it all drain for an hour or two. You only need hot oil if you're doing the job on the clock. YMMV.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hmm... I usually stop riding end of October maybe the odd ride in winter when the weather is fine (thank you for climate change) but so far I did not do anything regarding fuel or oil when putting the bikes away, they sit all winter under my carport covered and that is it.

Bobber had trouble starting in April this year, had to open the throttle twice and the bike started blowing out some smoke...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oil is full all kind of particles after some use, no matter how expensive oil you use.
Just leave your old(even few k km ridden oil) oil to canister for 2 month and check the bottom of canister, that will answer your question - at least for me.

Also i agree a little settled dirt + new oil won't affect engine life time a lot, because most of you won't reach near engine designed life.
(Just new oil will get dirt color from settled dirt, oil filter does it's job)

I ride a much more than most of you, since 15 may 2018 to now 29 685km on my BB, which i traded(for speed twin 1200) in last week.
Saving from oil is never option for me.

Personally i always change oil before winter(5+ month) period, in my bike,lawn tractor ...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Oil is full all kind of particles after some use, no matter how expensive oil you use.
Just leave your old(even few k km ridden oil) oil to canister for 2 month and check the bottom of canister, that will answer your question - at least for me.

Also i agree a little settled dirt + new oil won't affect engine life time a lot, because most of you won't reach near engine designed life.
(Just new oil will get dirt color from settled dirt, oil filter does it's job)

I ride a much more than most of you, since 15 may 2018 to now 29 685km on my BB, which i traded(for speed twin 1200) in last week.
Saving from oil is never option for me.

Personally i always change oil before winter(5+ month) period, in my bike,lawn tractor ...
Is your quoted mileage a typo... should there be another 0 in there? If not then I regularly cover 685km per month!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is your quoted mileage a typo... should there be another 0 in there? If not then I regularly cover 685km per month!
Nope 29685km, i ride 700+km per week. i usually do 100 km trip everyday + occasional longer trips.
This is main cause i get rid of my bobber.
I brought my bobber to 30k km service, got test ride bobber and it engine knock/vibrates(and is **** weather dependant) as mine, it gets annoying if you drive a lot.
They offered me trade in, so i bought Speed Twin 1200, arriving during next days.

I like bobber appearance more, but engine performance and shocks performance is not option if you drive a lot.
I hope one day bobber will be upgraded to use more aluminum instead steel, has 1200 HP version engine option, has better shocks - then i try it again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts