Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Numb Bumb... what’s your time limit?!

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  gfspencer 
#1 ·
So with nearly 700 miles under my belt on the new Bobber Black, (I’d best get ready to add some miles to my 2k per year limited insurance policy!) I have come to realise that beyond 30-35 minutes my ar$e starts to complain... and even sooner if I’ve hit a pothole or two!

I’m currently running with the Triumph cross stitched seat... no idea if it’s more or less comfy as I’ve never tried the original?

Today I for the first time softened the Fox shock by two further clicks from the middle setting it has been on since picking the bike up. I was surprised to be able to feel a difference in all honesty but none the the less it does seem to have made it a little more comfortable.

I’ve consider stitching a foam insert into my riding jeans to see if that helps a little.

What’s your own personal experiences fella’s and what ingenious solutions have you come up with?

#2 ·
I get numb butt after about 30 or 40 minutes. I'm using a stock seat and have the Fox shock set about 10 clicks from the firmest setting.

One thing that helps me are the padded bicycle shorts that I wear under my riding pants. When I was younger I used to do long-distance bicycle riding so I'm thinking that the padded bicycle shorts will work better than a piece of foam. The foam in bicycle shorts is purpose designed for numb butt.

A few folks have gone to upscale seats like Corbin. I haven't tried that yet.

I usually get off my bobber after an hour and walk around. That seems to help too.

#4 ·
Standard seat is fine till petrol time (after the tiger 800 standard seat, nothing could ever be so bad again!), just wish the comfort seat off the thunderbird commander fitted, thats the comfiest seat i have ever sat on

#5 ·
I have the brown quilted seat from Triumph and it takes me about an hour and a half before I find myself standing up on the pegs a bit to get my rear off the seat. I went with the quilted right from the dealership, so I'm looking forward to switching back to the stock seat to give that a shot for a bit. Someone made a comment about how sitting on the quilted seat is like sitting on top of the bike, rather than in the bike like the stock seat feels. I'm curious to try it out. If I like it a lot better, then I'll probably recover the stock seat with a dark brown leather with a gel insert to help the bum.

#7 ·
A cheap "reliever" may be an Airhawk, don't put too much air in it, I've had one on the Stelvio... The Speedmaster will have the "comfort" seat, so I'll see how that works out, but have the Airhawk available shold I need it...

#15 ·
I have been an advocate of cycling shorts for a long time, in the past on touring days and weeks on the Ducati monster, I always would wear them, on longer trips with the street triple the same. So far on the bobber I havent bothered as I seem, so far, to do only round trips of about a tank range or so. but would most likely slip on some lycra for those longer planned trips, maybe Loomies, who knows.

#16 ·
My Guzzi Norge was amazing as a mile muncher, I used to ride from Colchester to Plymouth to see aged and infirm parents on a regular basis. The first time I took the Norge, I got to about Totnes on the A38, and knew I would be too early for my sister to be home so I put in a diversion of about 40 miles around the coast at the end of 280 miles

#17 · (Edited)
Longest ride I did was about 180 miles (289 km)...on the statement seat. Admittedly, I was moving around a bit near the halfway point and stopped for some lunch and coffee. Doubt I could have done it without the stop (other than gas, of course). Made it back no problem but, I have to say I was a little sore (in various places ) the next day. That said, for me it’s not the comfort issue of the seat which I can deal with since I use the bike for short day rides mostly. The issue is more the support of which there isn’t much. A few bumps or potholes and you learn to hold on to those handlebars and tighten your grip on the tank with your legs. But I sure like the way that seat looks on the bike. I’m now playing with recovering the original seat with a vintage leather, maybe with a gel insert. We’ll see how that goes.

#18 ·
I should have mentioned... You need to "work up" to long rides. After a break on my soon to be ex Stelvio, the clutch would cripple my hand in traffic... After a few rides, all back to normal. Same goes for the bum and lower back

#19 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.