Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Bobbers!

I'm Psychopasta, and I live out near Seattle, WA. Call me Pasta :grin2: I'm thinking about getting a Bobber, and I have a few questions.

First of all, I currently own a Triumph Thunderbird 1700, which I love when going faster than 5 MPH. Unfortunately, it's a big and heavy old lump, and I find I can't control it as well as I used to at slow speeds, parking lots, U-turns etc. The TBird lets me get both feet flat on the floor, so it's great from that perspective, but it just has so much mass that it makes it a handful in lots of slow-speed situations.

So, I'm looking to trade in the TBird for a Bobber. I really like the Bobber, but I wanted to explain the reason for the move right now. My questions are:

1. How do you find it in low-speed situations, like the ones I discussed? How's the clutch in the grey zone?
2. The only problem I have with the Bobber spec-wise is the fuel tank. In eastern WA especially, it's easy to find places where it's 80 miles between fuel stations. Any ideas on real-world range, bigger tanks, strap-on fuel packs etc? I think a well-designed extra fuel tank could look killer on the Bob.

Thanks in advance for your input!

- Pasta

·
Registered
608 Posts
hi :)

Well good choice swapping down to a Bobber although you might miss a little raw grunt for a while.

Low speed is easy peasy, all the weight is slung down low.
The clutch is a masterpiece in engineering, it's so light i just couldnt believe it (after 2x 955's, a 1050 and even a T800) it truly is light.
In the main forum one gifted chap has worked out how to mod a bonnie tank (bout 13L) onto the bobber with minimal work, strapon (oerrr missus) tank probably not too practical, there is very little room to load much onto the bobber although there are a couple of saddlebags out there with room for an external fuel bottle so thats 2 to 4L more for you there.

Though the bobber is not too thirsry if you ride it smooth and gentle, but if you ride it thru london rush hour both ways or sit on the motorway at 90+ then yes, 70 to 80 is your limit, take it easy for close to 100

·
Registered
848 Posts
Greetings Pasta!

1. Don’t worry about low speed manoeuvres the bobber’s super easy to ride slow.

2. And don’t worry about the bobber’s range it’s much better than what some people have claimed.

I think the confusion/mis-reporting is due to the way the fuel gauge works. Because of the shape of the tank it doesn’t start working until you’re 3/4s of the way down. Brim the tank and the fuel gauge will say you have 80ish miles to empty, with the low fuel light coming on at around 30miles this suggests a range of about 50miles before you’re looking for another fill up! However the fuel gauge lies depending how you ride you’ll probably do 30miles before it starts moving/working (after which it does become accurate). Ignoring the fuel gauge and using the trip meter I typically get 80miles between filling up and the warning light coming on and that’s often doing short spirited runs on country back roads. On steadier longer runs I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t do over a 100miles before the fuel light came on giving a workable range of 120miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good point. I always use Trip A as the fuel gauge. And on the TBird, the fuel gauge works the other way...you think you have more range than you really do when the tank is full.

I still think I see me working out some way to carry a Rotapax or similar though. But since the Bobber's built for customizing, I don't think that's a problem.

Thanks Etheriel also!

- Pasta

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when the reserve light goes on, how far have you travelled, and how much is left on reserve?

I'm used to ~50 miles on reserve. What range does the Bobber claim when it switches to reserve?

- P

·
Registered
553 Posts
My fuel light comes on between 90-100miles on the trip computer, last time was 97miles that is in "ROAD" mode and I dont like to hang about, mostly back roads and lots of overtakes. at this stage the remain gives me 30 miles. I have fuelled with 10 remaining and 16 remaining and others but those I remember, I have so far never made a £10 purchase for petrol from a normal petrol station. I did manage £10.50 when out in the sticks putting premium 98 in the tank.
If you want to be frugal, I imagine flicking it into "RAIN" mode when the light comes on, or running it in "RAIN" mode the whole time.

120 miles gives me a great morning out, lunch, fuel and and great afternoon out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My fuel light comes on between 90-100miles on the trip computer, last time was 97miles that is in "ROAD" mode and I dont like to hang about, mostly back roads and lots of overtakes. at this stage the remain gives me 30 miles. I have fuelled with 10 remaining and 16 remaining and others but those I remember, I have so far never made a £10 purchase for petrol from a normal petrol station. I did manage £10.50 when out in the sticks putting premium 98 in the tank.
If you want to be frugal, I imagine flicking it into "RAIN" mode when the light comes on, or running it in "RAIN" mode the whole time.

120 miles gives me a great morning out, lunch, fuel and and great afternoon out.
I can totally confirm that! I usually fuel up after 130 miles which almost always leaves 1,5 liters remaining. My furthest was about 150 miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's great, thanks. That's no worse than my Diavel, that usually flashes reserve at ~95 miles. I had one particularly bum-clenching ride on it in eastern WA which saw and indicated range of -15 miles and I had no idea when the next gas station would appear...

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Pasta one of the guys went with La Rosa saddle bags for Sportster he bought a right side bag and mounted it on the left side looks very god and has a fuel bottle too, here is the link he provided for the bag...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YHJQ3P6?tag=vs-powersports-convert-amazon-20

Here is the link to the forum post you can see pictures of his bike with the bag on it...http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...arosa-saddle-bag-fox-creek-tool-bag-bike.html
That's great Louie, thanks! I like it even better in the rustic brown...

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's great Louie, thanks! I like it even better in the rustic brown...
Hey Pasta. I wen't the Larosa route. Got one in black. Good piece of mind having the extra gas along for long rides. Goes well with my Iron stone tank. Mounting it is a bit tricky, I'm looking for a better way to mount it on the swingarm. I'm having a problem with the leather straps scratching the frame up a bit. No biggie, No regrets tho. Buy the bike, you won't regret it. I'm in Seattle, hit me up when you get you yours. We can compare mods.

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks fnky! Did you buy through Triumph of Seattle or I-90? I bought my last two Triumphs from I-90, but the sales guy there suggested that they might be parting ways with Triumph, and then T of Seattle opened. Any views?

- Pasta

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey Pasta. I wen't the Larosa route. Got one in black. Good piece of mind having the extra gas along for long rides. Goes well with my Iron stone tank. Mounting it is a bit tricky, I'm looking for a better way to mount it on the swingarm. I'm having a problem with the leather straps scratching the frame up a bit. No biggie, No regrets tho. Buy the bike, you won't regret it. I'm in Seattle, hit me up when you get you yours. We can compare mods.
Hey Fnky, something to think about on those leather straps is to cut up an old bicycle inner tube into strips and wrap them around the swingarm then the straps to the bag that should take care of any scratching problems and will help to keep them in place. I plan on getting the La Rosa bags to and i think i will have the rubber strips sewn on to the leather straps!

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is a little jumpy in 'normal' mode at low speed, BUT switch to the 'rain' setting and it is easy to ride in slow mode, heavy traffic, etc.
Ya Doc I agree that does work well, when i have to ride in the old city here in Chiang Mai i switch to rain mode and it doesn't seems as jumpy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks fnky! Did you buy through Triumph of Seattle or I-90? I bought my last two Triumphs from I-90, but the sales guy there suggested that they might be parting ways with Triumph, and then T of Seattle opened. Any views?

- Pasta
TOS was great to work with. I haven't really been taking pics. Lots of pics on the toyota of seattle Facebook page. I don't have Facebook, but my buddy saw me on their site. Check out the gallery, I'm pretty sure you'll see a whole lot of people with smiles on their faces.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Fnky, something to think about on those leather straps is to cut up an old bicycle inner tube into strips and wrap them around the swingarm then the straps to the bag that should take care of any scratching problems and will help to keep them in place. I plan on getting the La Rosa bags to and i think i will have the rubber strips sewn on to the leather straps!
Actually, I cut up some silicone hoses and used some 3m double sided industrial tape to attach it to the frame. I like the idea of sewing some rubber strips to the leather. My next option is to use some coil wrap. Got a whole bunch at work. I'm planning on doing a side mount anyway so this may be a better way to hide the wires when I run the license plate light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I apologize in advance if this has been covered. Has anyone forgone the La Rosa swing arm bag leather straps and just used zip ties?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts