Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out for a run yesterday around the Fife/Edinburgh/Clackmannanshire/Perth & Kinross areas. Loads of other bikes on the roads as well.

Doing as I have done for the last 35 years of riding, I acknowledge other riders with a wave or a head nod at least.

Only 2 other riders responded during the whole afternoon!

I have noticed that this lack of communication between bikers has been on the rise over the past several years in the UK at least. Is it a generational thing? Is it happening in other countries as well? Is it just me?!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Big biking community here in Spain and it’s very rare that another biker doesn’t wave back or nod - no matter age or generation.

I admit that I don’t acknowledge or say hi to maxi scooter riders (tmax and the likes). They are usually too busy annoying other riders and drivers anyway.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Round town, unless its a regular on the commute or another trumpet, generally not, out of town I do, do i get ignored, **** yes!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would say that here in Southern Germany, about 90% of people are waving (back).
Of course no greetings to scooters, and no greetings to 125cc bikes - which sometimes is difficult telling them apart especially if they are Enduros. So in case of doubt, I wait for them to greet first ;-)

However the rate with the Bobber seems to be a bit higher, since even "academic twice a year Harley riders" figure out this is a big bike coming their way. With my 550 Kawa, some riders do not greet back :-(

Tom

·
Registered
579 Posts
Was out for a run yesterday around the Fife/Edinburgh/Clackmannanshire/Perth & Kinross areas. Loads of other bikes on the roads as well.

Doing as I have done for the last 35 years of riding, I acknowledge other riders with a wave or a head nod at least.

Only 2 other riders responded during the whole afternoon!

I have noticed that this lack of communication between bikers has been on the rise over the past several years in the UK at least. Is it a generational thing? Is it happening in other countries as well? Is it just me?!
They might have thought you were English. :laugh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve lived in Silicon Valley the previous eight years and now live in Austin, Texas. Unless they’re 1%-ers, most motorcyclists wave here. The other exceptions will be when you’re lane sharing (too focused) or the on-coming side of an interstate highway.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Hi Guffer,

Interesting observation and sad to hear this is happening in your area. There is a huge motorcycling presence in these parts (Northern New Mexico) and overwhelmingly Harley riders. Almost without exception 'all' wave, so that's nice to see this communication still very prominent.

Although when I first came to the US the style of this 'hello' took some getting used to as in the UK we would always just put our left hand up, whereas here the form is to hold the arm out to the left and point. As I used hand signals in the UK (no indicators) this always meant 'I'm turning left'. Pretty much used to it now, so all okay but took me a little while.

Take the lead Guffer and keep it up - the 'hellos' I mean...:wink2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
147 Posts
No problems down south in England. Most nod their head. I’ll acknowledge anyone who nods to me first and I’ll nod to anyone on a bike over 250cc. Have found that Harley riders are the most ignorant and never nod or wave (especially when they see I’m on a Triumph!).

·
Registered
509 Posts
Here in the Southeast United States , it's about 70/30. I will tell you what I have noticed seems to affect waving. If you ride in to a non-helmet wearing state (Georgia requires helmets , and I'm ok with that) the helmeted riders wave , the non helmeted riders tend no to. That's an observation I'll picked up over the last 2 decades , having two States that don't require helmets as neighboring States.

In the end , I still have a good ride , and can't worry about why someone didn't wave back at me.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Here in the Southeast United States , it's about 70/30. I will tell you what I have noticed seems to affect waving. If you ride in to a non-helmet wearing state (Georgia requires helmets , and I'm ok with that) the helmeted riders wave , the non helmeted riders tend no to. That's an observation I'll picked up over the last 2 decades , having two States that don't require helmets as neighboring States.

In the end , I still have a good ride , and can't worry about why someone didn't wave back at me.
I've noticed this same this in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The vast majority of people wave, but the odds are good that if someone doesn't wave it's because I'm wearing all of my gear and they're wearing nothing. To each their own, but with a family to support I'm not about to stop wearing gear just to "be cool" and get waved at.

Personally, I don't understand anyone having an attitude about waving BACK at anyone. I get not waving at scooters etc, but I can guarantee that if someone on a scooter waves at me I'll definitely wave back. I just consider it not being an eh-hole. No matter what 2 wheels someone is riding on, it's one more of us and one less car on the road that day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m in Lake Tahoe. Here in northern Nevada/California I find 90% of riders wave, no matter what bike there on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
I see a decline in waving in Germany near Frankfurt that's where I live, HD riders are not waving to me when I am on the Tiger they do wave occasionally when I am on the bobber, guess they think it's a HD coming up. Guess it's different in the US but over here most of the HD riders are bank manager types whoy play the wild guy on weekends, they seem to feel superior to riders of other brands.

Had trouble in the UK last year first time for me on the bike there. Every time I waved I closed the throttle and it took my a while to realise that a nod with the head is more appropriate ....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
defchef62, I lived in Hanau for three years. That was a long time ago. I miss Germany.

I rode BMWs for about 40 years. Nobody but other BMW riders waved at me. Now that I am riding a Bobber a lot of Harley guys wave. I wave back.

A few years ago I was riding in Ireland. I was so confused that I didn't wave at anyone. :|

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I almost almost wave. Often I wait for the split second to let the other rider wave first at which point I always wave back. I found waving pretty common in the east and now on the west coast. If I don’t get a wave back, I just mutter
a————- to myself? . I figure waving is just a way of acknowledging we’re all in this together, doing something we love, if not altogether rational.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Now that we are talking about waving, define your wave...

Is it the low slung below the bar, full on up in the air like a high five, or a modest Queen's wave....

I see them all in NoVa, but mainly the slung low below the bar...or the nod if it's at a distance that is noticeable.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts