Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My helmet fetish continues...>:)

Just clicked yes to one of these NEXX HELMETS and will post my thoughts once i get it. Hopefully late next week.
Not much air flow as i understand, but my aim was to get a full face helmet (with anti fog lens & visor) for the cooler months that doesn´t flow as much air as my Bell Bullitt.

**A bit off topic, but i will post on this thread anyway: at the beginning of summer i bought an open face Hedon Hedonist from the same site. It is a beautifully crafted & very comfortable helmet BUT runs a size small. So make sure to order a size up or go with Urban Riders sizing chart (NOT Hedons) if you are wanting a Hedon :).

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Bell Bullitt is one of my favorite helmets but, I will admit that after two seasons, it packed out too much possibly because it’s made for rounder heads which mine is not. More importantly, it wasn’t all that quiet, so much so that at speed I had trouble hearing my Sena (which for me on a road trip is a big deal as I have zero sense of direction����).
So I recently switched to a Shoei 1200 RF which is way quieter and more substantial although the field of vision isn’t as big. I wish the styling was more retro like the the Bell but, it is one well made lid.

Haven’t tried the Hedon but, have seen them in Europe. Absolutely beautiful and might be my first choice if it fit and the protection ratings are good. If as they “you get what you pay for” the Hedon might be the best thing since sliced bread. Expensive, to say the least. Don’t know much about the Nexx model but it looks good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
hope it works out. i really like the look of the nexxx carbon (kind of reminds me of snake-eyes from the last g.i. joe movie).

i have a few of the biltwell gringo full faces, and like the bullitts they are a bit noisy and all but love the retro looks. dont know if you've seen the new agv x3000 helmets for another retro-looking helmet.

really would like a hedon heroine helmet, but very pricey, as they seem to be on that upper premium range. a very nice simple-classic design too that would compliment the bobber. there's some nice video reviews out there. they do say they run small. the nice thing is that unlike a lot of helmets, where the shell size is the same on all sizes with just interior padding different, the hedon's shell size is also sized accordingly. so no bobble-head syndrome!

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hope it works out. i really like the look of the nexxx carbon (kind of reminds me of snake-eyes from the last g.i. joe movie).

i have a few of the biltwell gringo full faces, and like the bullitts they are a bit noisy and all but love the retro looks. dont know if you've seen the new agv x3000 helmets for another retro-looking helmet.

really would like a hedon heroine helmet, but very pricey, as they seem to be on that upper premium range. a very nice simple-classic design too that would compliment the bobber. there's some nice video reviews out there. they do say they run small. the nice thing is that unlike a lot of helmets, where the shell size is the same on all sizes with just interior padding different, the hedon's shell size is also sized accordingly. so no bobble-head syndrome!
I have tried on a few AGV’s, but didn’t like the feel on my head for some reason. However I’ve yet to try the new retro model.
I’ve owned (and sold) a NEXX xg100 Devon and can attest to the luxurious interior/feel. The new Garage models come in 2 shell sizes (instead of 1 in the previous model), so I really wanted to give it a try. As you stated, no more pin head :)!
Also, the new models come with proper visors instead of the snap on type. So must be better sealed, easier to use and quieter (hopefully...)

The only issue I foresee is the narrow/slim visor which may restrict viewing angle. Something which may be hard to adjust to after using a Bullitt. But I’ll post my findings (good & bad) once I’ve used it.

I’ve yet to try a full face Hedon. Perhaps next year...

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bell Bullitt is one of my favorite helmets but, I will admit that after two seasons, it packed out too much possibly because it’s made for rounder heads which mine is not. More importantly, it wasn’t all that quiet, so much so that at speed I had trouble hearing my Sena (which for me on a road trip is a big deal as I have zero sense of direction����).
So I recently switched to a Shoei 1200 RF which is way quieter and more substantial although the field of vision isn’t as big. I wish the styling was more retro like the the Bell but, it is one well made lid.

Haven’t tried the Hedon but, have seen them in Europe. Absolutely beautiful and might be my first choice if it fit and the protection ratings are good. If as they “you get what you pay for” the Hedon might be the best thing since sliced bread. Expensive, to say the least. Don’t know much about the Nexx model but it looks good.
I also rate the Bullitt very highly, but it was leaving an embarrassing (long & deep) mark running across my forehead after every ride that took ages to disappear. That was despite the fit being perfect with no hot spots nor pressure points.
So my wife cut out the black tabs and the outer “line” that was somehow pressing on my forehead and restitched the lining. I’ve yet to try it out, but will this morning now we’re talking about it.

For me, the perfect helmet would be the Bullitt helmet with the Nexx’s interior.
Nexx have nailed it with their plush, comfortable interior lining. That was on their old XG model, anyhow. I really hope it’s the same on the new version I ordered.

·
Registered
348 Posts
oh yeah, eisen77 brings up a good point on getting that embarrassing indention on your forehead, that some helmet paddings wil give you. especially when it's a deep long line right in the middle of your forehead as i've experienced in the past with some brands that seem to last for hours before going away. the gringo-s helmets have a quilted pattern on the forehead padding that leaves a few light "x" marks on my forehead, but for some reason doesn't bother me that much (actually looks kinda cool, and obvious that it was from a helmet and not a really bad forehead wrinkle). plus tends to go away rather quickly.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DJ, the indent on my head was really bad. I’m not usually self conscious and rarely care what other think - but that indentation was awful and even managed to annoy me.

BTW, the Heroine looks amazing and it’s on my list. Just finished reading about it & even if it’s not used much I think it’ll be a stunning display & conversation piece. I like the gloss black. But that’s just me and I’m not really the colorful or adventurous type.

One of my Hedonist helmets is Matt black & it’s difficult to keep clean. The other is gloss “dusty grey”, but I put it up for sale as it’s a size “S” and a bit small for me. Stunning and very unique though and may get another in an “M”.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have the bullitt also. I remember when I was waiting for it to be delivered, I had watched a few reviews which made reference to the lining in the forehead area. When I first received the lid I promptly pulled out the two plastic clips which were reported as the offending items.

However, I found that the lining kept slipping down so ended up popping the clips back in and discovered that my concerns about marks on my forehead and discomfort were after all unfounded!

Live and learn :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the bullitt also. I remember when I was waiting for it to be delivered, I had watched a few reviews which made reference to the lining in the forehead area. When I first received the lid I promptly pulled out the two plastic clips which were reported as the offending items.

However, I found that the lining kept slipping down so ended up popping the clips back in and discovered that my concerns about marks on my forehead and discomfort were after all unfounded!

Live and learn :surprise:
Lucky you have a Bullitt head Mike >:)
I am happy to report that my wife’s little modification made a world of difference.
No more unsightly marks after a 50km ride to Port Pollenca. Since she cut & released the liner I do feel that I have more room in the helmet, so in retrospect maybe the size S was a tad bit tight. But I tried a size M last year and it was far too big. I’m a size 55/56 intermediate oval just for reference.

Smile, relax, coffee and Bobber on....

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I'm sooo happy with my new Shoei Neotec II, with the hot weather in the UK it's been fabulous. VERY comfortable

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does anyone want to buy a Shoei 1200 BRAND NEW. I made a mistake with size but took labels off. I have everything but box. It’s large in Matte Black. I’ll sell for $299 USD and ship.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Funny you say that about the Hedon, I bought a M same as my Arai and it fits fine, its snug but feels like a solid fit. It pays to try a helmet on first though.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Funny you say that about the Hedon, I bought a M same as my Arai and it fits fine, its snug but feels like a solid fit. It pays to try a helmet on first though.
When I bought my first Hedon (size S) it felt great in the first instance. But after the first (and only ride with it) I realized it was too small and actually squeezing my head too tight. The M is perfect. Snug yet comfortable.
As you said, it definitely pays to try a helmet first - though that’s not always possible here in Mallorca.

Lesson learned though & I now open the helmet at home without removing stickers,etc and wear it for a short while. If it’s not good, I send it back for a new size.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
When I bought my first Hedon (size S) it felt great in the first instance. But after the first (and only ride with it) I realized it was too small and actually squeezing my head too tight. The M is perfect. Snug yet comfortable.
As you said, it definitely pays to try a helmet first - though that’s not always possible here in Mallorca.

Lesson learned though & I now open the helmet at home without removing stickers,etc and wear it for a short while. If it’s not good, I send it back for a new size.
Had a similar experience with my Shoei. Bought a small but after a few rides, found it just too tight (like almost not being able to get it off -ouch!). But it wasn’t an online purchase and the store was really good about exchanging it fo a medium. So, yes, live and learn and with helmets, if you can, buy from a store.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I Have and currently use the NEXX XG100R.

I am coming from a shoei RF 1200 and it is different. I do like the internal lining because it is high quality and fully removable. The fit for my head shape is pretty good, I do hear you should try it on because it is not so comfortable with certain head shapes. There is only one vent at the chin, I find that I sweat more in this helmet but nothing too uncomfortable. The visibility is good but I do find that my line of sight is slightly cut off towards the top, I sometimes have to move my head up to see the traffic light. The look and the styling is **** killer!! I really love the look of my matte back helmet and dark smoke visor.

If you haven't checked out the https://equilibrialist.com visor, Look ASAP. It is not made for the R version of the helmet but does fit perfectly fine when the visor is removed.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi KR88.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the insight.
The old XG model (with the single size shell) also had a low cut off point, so I know exactly what you mean about the traffic lights.
I can’t wait to try on this new model as I hear they have updated the internals to fit more intermediate/oval shape heads (instead of round). I’m also glad to hear that they’ve kept the soft and comfy interior.
The smaller/sleeker shell is also a welcome and necessary addition to their line up.
I wasn’t a massive fan of the snap-on visor as it was tricky to use with gloves. That’s why I’ve gone for the mainstream visor this time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Lucky you have a Bullitt head Mike >:)
I am happy to report that my wife’s little modification made a world of difference.
No more unsightly marks after a 50km ride to Port Pollenca. Since she cut & released the liner I do feel that I have more room in the helmet, so in retrospect maybe the size S was a tad bit tight. But I tried a size M last year and it was far too big. I’m a size 55/56 intermediate oval just for reference.

Smile, relax, coffee and Bobber on....

One thing to note for others maybe considering the Bullit, the stock cheek pads were way too small for me on the Med, but they actually have like 2-3 other sizes you can order. I picked up the biggest ones, and it fits great. Love the helmet for around the town, not so much for freeway rides - too much wind noise! The visibility I miss when I switch to my Arai.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Urban Rider delivered my Nexx at lightning speed.
Shipped Monday and arrived this morning!

This is definitely a step up from the previous XG model in terms of shell sizing and overall fit.
The visor is thick and closes in a firm and reassuring manner.
The interior is as soft and plush as the gen.1 helmet and the double D ring closure is positioned well (for me) and goes unnoticed.
View - as expected - is limited and I have yet to test it out in a city environment. I will do that tomorrow.
In conclusion, I’m very pleased with the fit, finish & shape.
I believe Nexx offer very good value for money in this price bracket.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts