Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody peeps,

Just wanted to tell you that today is my last day of work, I hope for ever. I'm retiring at long last. Time to get more miles on the Bobber!

I have to say it's an odd feeling. I'm looking forward to it immensely (it was one of the reasons I bought that old ratty BSA) but I have so much identity wrapped up in my work persona that it will be strange to think that I'm no longer a working stiff. But hey, what a great problem to have!

- Pasta

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats, I retired 4 years now after 36 years on the railway. It took two years to settle in to our new life. Now I can’t ever picture working. Motorcycle riding maintaining our yard and seeing our son in Seattle is more than enough to keep me busy.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
20 years ago for me. Have never given it a day’s thought. Congratulations. All kinds of new opportunities for enjoying life present themselves when you’re not consumed with work and are open to them. It’s all about what I mentioned in another thread ...QTR (quality time remaining). Make the most of it!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Amazing. Congrats to you Sir!
I guess I am a bit younger. 401k etc. won’t retire until it means passing the shovel off to the man digging my grave. Sadnesses!

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Congratulations! So how did you decide when to retire? Was there a certain # of years with your employer, or a life event? Why October 31st? I'm just curious, so if you'd rather not say, then no worries at all.

Any bucket list items that you plan on knocking out in the years to come?

·
Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have been running a company for several years and it was time to move on and let someone else have a go. I want to enjoy life while I'm still young enough. I'm 61 so I hope I still have many years of activity left before I'm staring at a wall and drooling.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Great decision! I retired at the end of Sept 17 at 62 and haven't looked back either. As is common close to London, I commuted (by train) about an hour and 15 each way, and it got a progressively harder after 60...

One of the things I remember from my early career was managing a train driver depot, where people signed on duty at any minute in the 24 hours. The impact of the shift work over 40 years + of working life was palpable. In those days, UK male retirement age was 65, and anyone who retired before 60 had a long retirement. If they retired after 60 you just had to subtract their retirement age from 65 to predict the length of their retirement. I went to so many funerals, I had to keep a black tie in my desk drawer.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Congrats Pasta.

I retired 3 years ago according to my wife, I thought was only two years.

I was talking to HR about another matter and they asked if I had thought about early retirement. I told them I couldn't because I was too busy. I soon realised this was a stupid thing to say and that if I retired I would no longer be 'too busy'.

I have taken to it like a duck to water however, there seem to be fewer hours in the day, days in the week etc. I know it's a cliche but how did I find time to go to work! Sure I miss the students but no one else.

When is it time to retire:
When you start to realise that life is finite and that you want to have some 'me' time instead of giving, giving, giving.
I save a whole bunch of money NOT going to work. Fuel, parking, train fairs oh and I get back 3 1/2 hours a day traveling time.

Sometimes when I walking to the shop to pick up some milk maybe, it occurs to me that in the old life, I would now be on the station with all of the other commuters hoping to get a seat. Then I snap out of it and continue my walk. A very, very satisfying feeling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts