Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new joiner from Portsmouth, I picked up my brand new Bobber Black edition 2 days ago after 20 years of owning sports bikes, my last being 2 Street Triple Rs. All I can say is I won't be going back, I absolutely love the bobber!!
Just a quick one, what is everyone's preferred revs when riding?
Tomsy.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I´ve got to say that i have never once looked at the rev counter when riding.
I´m usually having too much fun enjoying the ride & view... :grin2:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I rode sports bikes for years (BMW and Ducati). I was aware of revs when I rode them. But I don't ride my Bobber with an eye to the rev counter. I ride by feel. I want to keep a little torque in reserve so . . . .

• On secondary roads out in the countryside I am likely to be in 3rd gear and I will downshift for low speed corners.
  • On two-lane highways - running around 60 mph - I will be in 4th gear.
  • I try to avoid Interstate highways but when I have to ride them I am usually in 5th gear.
  • I might shift into 6th gear for a long lazy run.
I'm not saying that my way is the "right" way. It is just where I feel comfortable after 40+ years of riding. So far I have only blown up one motorcycle. :|

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah thanks guys, I was thinking around 2500-3500 when just littering along, just trying to get a feel for the bike really!!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Welcome to the site! I tend to keep my revs below 3k no matter what speed I'm at, unless I'm trying to draw a little attention. I'm not a big hooner unless I find a fun bit of winding road, so I'm usually trying to maximize my fuel efficiency on long rides.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi guys new joiner from Portsmouth, I picked up my brand new Bobber Black edition 2 days ago after 20 years of owning sports bikes, my last being 2 Street Triple Rs. All I can say is I won't be going back, I absolutely love the bobber!!
Tomsy.
Any chance you're in Portsmouth, NH? If so, you'll be seeing me and my bobber black around quite a lot, as I live there. Haven't seen another one yet, and I can't wait to chat with the owner of one when I finally do!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ah thanks guys, I was thinking around 2500-3500 when just littering along, just trying to get a feel for the bike really!!
That’s about what I do as well. Basically I’m listening to the engine and what feels right, too
low it lugs, too high it’s “pulling” and wants to go up a gear.

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
It's taken me a while to get used to the high ratios in the box, but deffo now on back roads it's mainly 3rd/4th with 5th for straight bits, 6th is highways only pretty much... Dancing the tango down through the box for a bend can wear a bloke out!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Welcome to the site! I tend to keep my revs below 3k no matter what speed I'm at, unless I'm trying to draw a little attention. I'm not a big hooner unless I find a fun bit of winding road, so I'm usually trying to maximize my fuel efficiency on long rides.
A new word for me to learn! Define "hooner".

Cheers!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Tomsy.
I agree after riding sports bikes (I also ride a Speed Triple) the gearing on the Bobber does take some getting used to. I’m sure a 1200 twin tuned for low down torque doesn’t really need 6speeds but on the upside on long runs that high gearing gives you great fuel consumption. :smile2:

But until you get used to it as a rough and ready rule once your moving stick it in 2nd then at 30 3rd, 40 4th, 50 5th, and over 60 6th, it’s that simple. :nerd:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I rode sports bikes for years (BMW and Ducati). I was aware of revs when I rode them. But I don't ride my Bobber with an eye to the rev counter. I ride by feel. I want to keep a little torque in reserve so . . . .

• On secondary roads out in the countryside I am likely to be in 3rd gear and I will downshift for low speed corners.
  • On two-lane highways - running around 60 mph - I will be in 4th gear.
  • I try to avoid Interstate highways but when I have to ride them I am usually in 5th gear.
  • I might shift into 6th gear for a long lazy run.
I'm not saying that my way is the "right" way. It is just where I feel comfortable after 40+ years of riding. So far I have only blown up one motorcycle. :|
That is interesting because it sounds just the way I ride, but have way more experience than me. I thought I was being too cautious.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That is interesting because it sounds just the way I ride, but have way more experience than me. I thought I was being too cautious.
I might be the one who is too cautious. I'm getting old. :| I don't ride a Bobber like I would have ridden a sport bike in my youth. :surprise: On the other hand, I don't baby my Bobber. I'm sure that you will find your own "sweet spot".

·
Super Moderator
790 Posts
I agree after riding sports bikes (I also ride a Speed Triple) the gearing on the Bobber does take some getting used to. I’m sure a 1200 twin tuned for low down torque doesn’t really need 6speeds but on the upside on long runs that high gearing gives you great fuel consumption. :smile2:

But until you get used to it as a rough and ready rule once your moving stick it in 2nd then at 30 3rd, 40 4th, 50 5th, and over 60 6th, it’s that simple. :nerd:
Exactly my way... although I may go up to 3rd before 30

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm in 4th generally all the time around town. How I get there depends on my mood. If I break 55-60 (lots of bigger secondary roads carry 55mph here) I'll use 5th. 6th is strictly for slabbing it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately I'm in Hampshire, England so I doubt very much you'll see me bobbing along, however if I decide to up sticks and move across the pond I'll let you know ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts