Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I'd go for the silver and black plate. Mind you, people keep asking me how old my bobber is, so you might get away with it.
That’s partly my thinking... the bike does look old so at first glance the law might miss it. Having said that I happen to have a load of mates in the force who all ride... and all have black and silver smaller than legal plates.

If you can’t beat them 0:)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Not how our system works.
Black and white plates are only on vehicles over a certain age, maybe from the 70's or even older.
We more modern bikes should have yellow and black with stipulations on size of plate, size of font, type of font, even down to material, still some discussions on metal plates due to reflectiveness and if a speed camera can pick it up.
The other problem is the difference of rule reading between police wanting ticket money and the man down the MOT who cares that it is legible.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I dig it. Why is that plate not legal? Seems very visible, etc.
Well, it was legal in the 1950s but these days a rear plate needs to be black on reflective yellow in the UK. Also a certain size, font and spacing.

The silver on black is still allowed for bikes from that era. I also think the side mounted plates aren't legal and those ones that are curved around the chain would have you hunted down by SWAT over here.

Edit: Beaten to it by Brigstock

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Ah, the whole "vintage" plate. We have the same here, but they are typically the same size as all the other plates. The one from Commo, isn't it smaller than the normal UK plates?

·
Registered
59 Posts
That’s partly my thinking... the bike does look old so at first glance the law might miss it. Having said that I happen to have a load of mates in the force who all ride... and all have black and silver smaller than legal plates.

If you can’t beat them 0:)
Mike, the '18' is a bit of a give away!!!!
Need to get yourself a personalised reg that looks older :wink2:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback chaps and you’re right... it’s only vehicles registered prior to 1976 that can run a black and silver plate. This one is also smaller than permitted although at 7X5 it’s commonly used and gotten away with.

I have been considering a personal registration... I very nearly bought MC18 BOB for £1000 but it obviously wouldn’t have made it look any older... just a cool plate.

It seems you can pick up random private plates for a couple of hundred pounds which would certainly help to make the bike look older.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Earlier than 73 black/silver is legal.
I have old plates on my 994 Bonnie, Thrux R & Blobber, these bikes all look older with the mods/paint I have done to them,
so proper old number in black/silver, old bike & old gezzer riding them, it all fits.
But to me a new reg number in black/silver is clearly wrong & asking for a tug from some power mad plod.

this is my 2012 Bonnie

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Earlier than 73 black/silver is legal.
I have old plates on my 994 Bonnie, Thrux R & Blobber, these bikes all look older with the mods/paint I have done to them,
so proper old number in black/silver, old bike & old gezzer riding them, it all fits.
But to me a new reg number in black/silver is clearly wrong & asking for a tug from some power mad plod.

this is my 2012 Bonnie
Is the law different for motorbikes and cars with regards to the date of being able to haveblack/silver plates?

Of course there’s a risk to having such a plate on a new bike but I guess ridding a bike in the first place is a bigger risk. Would I try to get away with it if I still lived in London...no, but where I live now I hardly ever see the police whilst out and about.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Basically, eff the law. I’ve had tiny plates on my bikes since the early 80’s. You get stopped. You use some apologetic multi-syllable words. You assure them you’ll put a legal plate on. You ride away and just forget about it. Until the next time. And repeat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi MIke i thinjk it looks great and want to do the same for my bobber
could you advise if you got it on line and if so from where and what size

many thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi MIke i thinjk it looks great and want to do the same for my bobber
could you advise if you got it on line and if so from where and what size

many thanks
It’s 7X5” but I can’t remember where I bought it from... and can’t find the receipt. Just run a search for motorcycle show plates. Top tip... make sure the back of the plate it black. It looks much better than having a white backing ruining the look of the bike from certain angles ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts