Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Purchased my '17 Bobber a little while ago and just stumbled upon the forum while doing research. Checked out a couple threads and thought this was a great community! I'm in the San Diego area, great for year 'round riding! Proud owner and happy new forum member. I look forward to contributing!

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics will be forthcoming this weekend; I am out of town now, but I have a BUNCH of parts installs/mods that I will be showing off. So far, I have deleted the factory air boxes, relocated the number plate to the swing arm, and shaved the tank badges. I am going to wrap the tank, cut off the rear fender, delete the rear fender brace (I might leave the chain guard off, too), and install the clip-on handlebar kit. I've got more in the works, but that is good enough for the first weekend back in town!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi John
Welcome and thanks for the invitation.
San Diego must be a great place to ride a bobber. Pics please.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Nice

A few shots of the beauty down by the lake.
Thats nice looking, its a shame we can't guarantee a dry road from start to finish to go without a rear guard. I imagine it gets a bit messy. Also legally I am sure we must have one.
Under the airbox also looks really tidy, if you could offer up a few piccies around that area as I am concerned about my electrics there, with our beautiful English weather.
Top marks, nice.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats nice looking, its a shame we can't guarantee a dry road from start to finish to go without a rear guard. I imagine it gets a bit messy. Also legally I am sure we must have one.
Under the airbox also looks really tidy, if you could offer up a few piccies around that area as I am concerned about my electrics there, with our beautiful English weather.
Top marks, nice.

I'll try to get a few pics in there this afternoon! It took a little doing, but really nothing difficult. There will be more to follow as I undertake a complete rewiring of the entire bike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try to get a few pics in there this afternoon! It took a little doing, but really nothing difficult. There will be more to follow as I undertake a complete rewiring of the entire bike!

So the flash definitely reveals all the road dirt my garage lights don't! You can see the diagnostic port relocated over to the left side, resting down near the swing arm pivot point between the frame and swing arm. The fuse box was laid down from the left side air box across to the center, and zip tied down to the main harness trunk. The main 30 A fuse is laid down just inside the plastic protection panels on the chain side. The intake air temp sensor is zip tied more or less beneath the left air filter, but away from heat sources that might not render it accurate. Everything lays pretty flat when viewed from the side, but make no mistake, it is all still pretty visible. It will all be addressed when I completely retire the bike. The ignition will be removed, the wiring will all be consolidated and redone. It will be amazing!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, somebody has to ask. Why? I get the air box, and all that means to clean that up. Wonder about the tiny filters you chose though. I also wonder about the pipe wrap other than looks. The rest? I don't know. It is a beauty of yester-year but I think I would have started with a vintage rather than a new. Just my opinions and questions. No criticism at all. It's your baby to do what makes you happy. Cheers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, somebody has to ask. Why? I get the air box, and all that means to clean that up. Wonder about the tiny filters you chose though. I also wonder about the pipe wrap other than looks. The rest? I don't know. It is a beauty of yester-year but I think I would have started with a vintage rather than a new. Just my opinions and questions. No criticism at all. It's your baby to do what makes you happy. Cheers.

I totally get it; and you are not the first to ask! I have the benefit of TERRIFIC weather pretty much year 'round, so ditching the rear fender was not the original intention (I was just going to shorten up the short rear fender). I loved the look with it completely gone, though, so I left it. The first thought was that I wanted modern reliability (mechanically and whatnot); I love projects that require old school skill, but they tend to require old school time. I can pin out a harness and customize wiring in a day. Most of the other mods only took the better of a day because they are made for the bike, so that was kinda easy to pull the trigger on, too. I was able to do all of this stuff and still ride to work on it. Not likely to be the case if I wanted to buy an old Honda CB and start hacking apart the frame, rebuilding the engine, etc. Still a goal, but this I could bite off on easier. This bike has wild potential to change the look with relatively little effort or time. I suppose it might be more expensive than the old school methods of modding what you've got with the tools and materials on hand, but I am a family man and a professional first, so projects get very little time, unfortunately. I am looking forward to seeing what more can be done with what I have! I will be the first to admit, I have strange taste, so I trouble no one if their opinion of something does not match mine. Sometimes my results are not fully a product of my own vision, too!

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's great, John. Thanks for the reply. I get where you're coming from. Was just curious why you didn't start with a vintage Trumpet, BSA, Pan head, or the like. Honda never entered my mind :) Carry on. Look forward to your future posts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The scoot is looking great John. I’m in San Diego too and flirted with the idea of no front fender. We pay the price to live here but So-Cal can’t be beat for riding year around. I’ve only seen two or three Bobbers around town and each of them had been kept stock. I’m sure we’ll notice each other’s bikes when we pass out on the 94 or Sunrise Highway.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The scoot is looking great John. I’m in San Diego too and flirted with the idea of no front fender. We pay the price to live here but So-Cal can’t be beat for riding year around. I’ve only seen two or three Bobbers around town and each of them had been kept stock. I’m sure we’ll notice each other’s bikes when we pass out on the 94 or Sunrise Highway.

For sure! I think you are the one the guys over at South Bay Motorsports tell me about (it came up when I discussed part numbers for the larger headlight). There should be a SoCal Bobber meet for the few of us there are (I suppose we’d have to include others of lesser taste). Yours is lookin’ sharp! Love the pain job.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, Mark Plazak at Southbay Motorsports has helped with my build from day one. He also sold me the bike.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agree filters look a bit restrictive & exhaust wrap on any bike to me is a no no, but we are all different, good thing too. :smile2:
Be sure to let us know how the rewire goes.

·
Registered
553 Posts

So the flash definitely reveals all the road dirt my garage lights don't! You can see the diagnostic port relocated over to the left side, resting down near the swing arm pivot point between the frame and swing arm. The fuse box was laid down from the left side air box across to the center, and zip tied down to the main harness trunk. The main 30 A fuse is laid down just inside the plastic protection panels on the chain side. The intake air temp sensor is zip tied more or less beneath the left air filter, but away from heat sources that might not render it accurate. Everything lays pretty flat when viewed from the side, but make no mistake, it is all still pretty visible. It will all be addressed when I completely retire the bike. The ignition will be removed, the wiring will all be consolidated and redone. It will be amazing!

Good pics, but it all still looks sensitive to british weather.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love it John. I totally get the modification of a modern classic, one of the reasons I brought the bike.

In the UK a 70's Norton Commando, T160 or cost of renovating a t140 is now around the same price as what you can pick a Bobber up for. With the added benefit of modern functionality.

There's nothing worse than stalling at a set of traffic lights with the volume of urban traffic we now experience in the UK sitting behind you. Thinking come on you B'tard, start, as your kicking it over in the middle of the road. Much prefer to hit the start button & effortlessly drive off in a matter of moments these days. But still with those great classic lines. :smile2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts