Triumph Bobber Forum banner

New member, should I buy a 2017 OR 2018????

11K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Bobber-Bomb 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I've been lurking on the forum and reading along for a while and I'm getting close to buying a Bobber.

Just wondering, should I buy a 2017 (new or used) and save some money or should I get a 2018? What are the pros and cons? I want the Jet Black original (not the BB)

Will Triumph have addressed any of those little issues from the first year's bikes (gas gauge issues, incorrect readings on instruments, corrosion starting on engine sides, ECU refresh needed, key in and out issue)?

Or maybe the issues I read about were very rare and most people had no issues at all.

What would you do? 2017 or 2018. Were there any changes or updates (excluding the red colour option and the BB model)?

Thanks,
AL

#2 ·
Good choice of bike!
I am not sure what mechanical differences, if any, exist between 2017 and 2018, other than maybe a color or two.
I would have bought used if they were on the market when I bought.....but I couldn't wait.
I have started to see some pop up on Craigslist and the like, and with less than 1000 miles on them, a few grand to 5 grand off the new showroom price.
I don't think that any of the items you mention are either actual problems (gas gauge), or a very rare. Corrosion items won't be addressed, up to us to keep our bikes clean.

#7 ·
My Cranberry Red/Frozen Silver bobber is a 2018 model, purchased in August 2017.
While I do have the slightly quirky tank range indicator, it's not as quirky as some have experienced here.
And I have experienced none of the other issues that others have, i.e. key in out, motor cut-out, rough running in slow traffic, etc.

I asked my dealer recently about any updates and he stated that "numerous changes/updates" have been undertaken on the 2018 models, including mine. He couldn't say if all issues would be addressed when updating a 2017 bobbers software, so there are indeed differences between the two; not just the colour.

My 2018 bike runs much better and smoother in slower town traffic btw, than the dealers 2017 test model, which has only 2700km on the clock.
Mine has 4500km.

Hope this helps.

mike

#11 ·
I’ve been undecided on which Bobber to buy also, whether we like it or not the reviews of the new Black Edition seems to make it the better bike in the Bobber range.
So do I push the Budget and buy a Black edition or but a standard one 2017/2018 bike new or .... do I buy secondhand. There is already some nearly new Bobbers on the market, many with the modifications I like (exhausts,short rear mud guards,side number plates etc) which leaves me money to buy the fashionable clothing to match.

I have seen many modifications on the standard Bobber making it look like the Black edition which must have cost a packet $$$ £££

#15 ·
don't forget the tires leak a lot of air for some of us. 1/2 lb a day for me... Dealers shrug their shoulders. Won't even report the problem to Triumph.
I do love my bike though.. 2017.
2018 has
smaller front tire, double the brakes, beefier front suspension.. 2018 is a lot different on paper.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Buy what you want, 20 people give 20 different views on every bike, test ride both (get at least an hour or 2 out of the dealer) and try all road types then pick to one you think you will best live with. Me? well although i swear I'd kill for twin front disks, every time i'm out i cope with the single one, rear is actually quite vicous at times, just got to get out of thr 95% front 5% rear braking habit and move to a 70/30 and all is good.

The litmus test is after 6 months, 'Would you buy another or go looking?'

I have been changing bikes every 2 years for the past 10, this might actually be a keeper!

#23 ·
See, I like that and agree.

I own an FXR, a Fat Boy and the Bobber. The FXR handles ok for a heavy, old style bike (frame here is everything), the FatBoy is a dog in the turns (nothing soft about a soft tail) and I have crashed twice on a high side too fast in surprise turns. The Fat Boy has the fat tires front and rear. Good on open road but suffers in turns as well as heavy steering in same. The Bobber Black does nothing for me for those reasons as well as I like a larger, skinnier front to rear tire look but that's just me. Other than the duel brakes, the Black Bobber is a no go for me.

I love my original, 2018 Bobber. It is a great compromise of a fast handling scoot in cruiser livery. It's not ready for MotoGP but is a great, fantastic bike for what it is intended for.

Again, you're personal preferences are all that matter. Enjoy the journey!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.