Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just joined, havnt bought a bobber yet but looking at a few, any pitfalls, dislikes?

Need to sell my bike first

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Lots to like and any potential dislikes can be rectified with aftermarket mods (which is true for every bike out there).
Biggest pitfall is the amount you’ll spend on said mods - which is pretty much an inevitable part of Bobber ownership.
Other than that, it’s a great bike with an amazing feel-good factor.

Personally, I don’t see the Bobber as a year round bike or a practical commuter. So you should weigh up your riding habits/needs and see if the Bobber is right for YOU.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum, you're in the right place for info mate.

For my tuppence; the Bobber is a really great bike but it has it's limits, so give some thought to that. Clearly the biggest limit is that it is a solo ride, but if you love the platform then the Speedmaster is a good option if that's important.

The other big issue is comfort. Pretty much everyone goes down the road of seat and suspension modifications at some point, so that needs to be taken into consideration.

As for me & my Bobber? Well I LOVE this bike and weather permitting ride every day and all year round but in fairness have spent a lot of time and money making it into my perfect ride - and I'm not finished yet..:smile2:

Good luck with your research and let us know how you get on?

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey Davehales! Welcome!

Pitfalls, Cashflow, if you plan on modding! :laugh:

The only draw backs I can think of that affects all Bobbers are, the small fuel tank, and they can be hard on your driving record. Or maybe thats just me! :grin2:

I love mine! But it has become my "have fun" Bike. I bought a second bike with bags for long distance, or getting groceries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum.
Lots to like and any potential dislikes can be rectified with aftermarket mods (which is true for every bike out there).
Biggest pitfall is the amount you’ll spend on said mods - which is pretty much an inevitable part of Bobber ownership.
Other than that, it’s a great bike with an amazing feel-good factor.

Personally, I don’t see the Bobber as a year round bike or a practical commuter. So you should weigh up your riding habits/needs and see if the Bobber is right for YOU.
I am a summer fun rider, don’t commute, and don’t ride millions of miles

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
@davehales, you can likely see the big picture by now with regard to the Bobber. Tons of fun, to be sure, and as long as you aren't asking it to be something it isn't (like a dual sport, dirt bike or touring bike) you'll absolutely love it as much as the rest of us that already own one.

·
Registered
487 Posts

I think the Bobber is made for just this sort of rider. It's not great in traffic (relatively heavy, overpowered, etc) and not great for long rides (seating position, gas tank, etc). Main con is comfort, as in it is not very comfortable, but for easy summer fun riding that's okay.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Perfect, you're gonna love it!!!

Cons there are only a few:

1. It's got a small 2 gallon/9.l litre tank - True but it does 65mpg (Imp), which provides a very usable 100miles between fill ups leaving 20-40miles in reserve depending on how you ride. That might be a problem in Arizona but not in Kent!

2. The unadjustable short travel (3 inch/80mm) suspension makes for a sporty ride but it's harsh over the rough stuff - True, and if you are used to adventure bikes or particularly if you're on the larger side then you're probably going to struggle. The good news is there are lots of aftermarket options to improve the comfort or reduce it (statement seat) depending what you're after.

3. Expect to be approached by total strangers who want to talk about your ride - True, even non-bikers love it!

4. Just one more mod and it'll be done - Not true, if you buy a Bobber then the modding never stops!!!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Perfect, you're gonna love it!!!

Cons there are only a few:

1. It's got a small 2 gallon/9.l litre tank - True but it does 65mpg (Imp), which provides a very usable 100miles between fill ups leaving 20-40miles in reserve depending on how you ride. That might be a problem in Arizona but not in Kent!

Agreed but I've taken care of this issue by fitting a Speedmaster tank..:grin2:

2. The unadjustable short travel (3 inch/80mm) suspension makes for a sporty ride but it's harsh over the rough stuff - True, and if you are used to adventure bikes or particularly if you're on the larger side then you're probably going to struggle. The good news is there are lots of aftermarket options to improve the comfort or reduce it (statement seat) depending what you're after.

Agreed but I've also taken care of this issue with a Wilber and sprung seat..:grin2::grin2:

3. Expect to be approached by total strangers who want to talk about your ride - True, even non-bikers love it!

100% correct. Always add extra time to any journey to deal with the fans..:grin2::grin2::grin2:

4. Just one more mod and it'll be done - Not true, if you buy a Bobber then the modding never stops!!!
As for No4 O dear...you caught me out..:crying::crying::crying::crying:

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts