Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks...

New member signing in. 56 years young U.K. based petrol head.. Currently own a Mustang GT 5.0 which is quite heavily modded and I’m enjoying immensely.
Haven’t currently got a bike, and haven’t owned one since 2000.

Health issues and very very bad knees put a stop to my riding. But I’ve recently been checking the Bobber and Speedmaster out, and I’m thinking that with forward controls this could be the solution I need to get back on a bike.

My mate bought a Truxton R last week, and because he hasn’t yet passed his test, it’s stuck in my garage for a few weeks.
I’d like to join him on rides, so I’m looking to test ride something pretty soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Hope to see a pic of your Bobber or SpeedMaster soon.
Do feel free to post a pic/video of your Mustang. It must sound pretty amazing...!

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
I had knee surgery in 2017, and after could only bear a less than right angled bend in my left knee for about 30 minutes. Got the Speedmaster, and haven't looked back...

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
I am in the same boat, a wafty knee and stumpy legs meant the Bobber is the ideal ride for me.
Perhaps we should ask the admins for a "Dodgy Knee/Back/Hip" Section for all us old crocks?:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps we should ask the admins for a "Dodgy Knee/Back/Hip" Section for all us old crocks?:grin2::grin2::grin2:
Not a bad idea Larry.... we could call it Old Farts Section:surprise:

Quite a nice day up here in Shropshire today, so rang around a few dealers and managed to get a couple of hours on a Speedmaster..:wink2:

Got to say, I was very impressed. I was a bit tentative to begin with, it’s around 6 years since I’ve even sat on a bike never mind ridden one:frown2:

But I took a nice easy route out of town, and then onto a dual carriageway.. the bike felt very stable, but a little jerky when trying to pull away smoothly from traffic lights etc. I’m sure that was more me than the bike though.:surprise:

On the way back I deliberately choose a convoluted route, through country lanes and small villages, and finally right through the centre of Chester. I managed to feel much more confident towards the end of the ride.. I did around 70 miles, with a cup of tea half way, and regarding comfort, leg position etc it was very good. At 60 mph the bike wafted along nicely, with plenty in reserve to make a smart overtake of slower vehicles..
I definitly prefer the styling of the Bobber, so that’s what I’m going to look out for. But if it doesn’t work out, I now know that a Speedmaster will do what. I need it to... so it’s a thumbs up from me..

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Great pics. Really nice to see a fellow member hop on and ride a bike after a long(ish) break.
Gotta say that the Speedy suits you !!!
The Bobber, which you mentioned you prefer, is also available with forward controls. Freespirits, Wunderkind and even Triumph make them for the Bobber.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great pics. Really nice to see a fellow member hop on and ride a bike after a long(ish) break.
Gotta say that the Speedy suits you !!!
The Bobber, which you mentioned you prefer, is also available with forward controls. Freespirits, Wunderkind and even Triumph make them for the Bobber.
Yes.... that was my thinking in trying the SM..... if I can manage that ok, I should be fine on a Bobber with forward controls.

I couldn’t find a dealer with a Bobber with forward control:frown2:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Yes.... that was my thinking in trying the SM..... if I can manage that ok, I should be fine on a Bobber with forward controls.

Might be best to try and see if a fellow Bobber member close to you has them fitted.
They are an expensive option and would definitely be worth sitting on their bike before taking the plunge. Even if it means a little road trip (take the Mustang :grin2:)

·
Registered
509 Posts

You can install the SM forwards on a Bobber , and it is reasonable. Like sub 500 bucks for everything. It's a few hours work , but in the end , it is worth it. More seat room on a Bobber than the SM , though both are great bikes. Best friend has a SM , so I've ridden both.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
I added footboards to the SM to further mitigate my knee issues. I test rode the SM, and immediately fell in love with it, and (I'm 6' 3") and found it a doddle, bit of a look first time to find the peg, there after it was fine. There's a bit of a change with the footboards, as you have to put your feet out and down, rather than just down...

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Not a bad idea Larry.... we could call it Old Farts Section:surprise:

Quite a nice day up here in Shropshire today, so rang around a few dealers and managed to get a couple of hours on a Speedmaster..:wink2:

Got to say, I was very impressed. I was a bit tentative to begin with, it’s around 6 years since I’ve even sat on a bike never mind ridden one:frown2:

But I took a nice easy route out of town, and then onto a dual carriageway.. the bike felt very stable, but a little jerky when trying to pull away smoothly from traffic lights etc. I’m sure that was more me than the bike though.:surprise:

On the way back I deliberately choose a convoluted route, through country lanes and small villages, and finally right through the centre of Chester. I managed to feel much more confident towards the end of the ride.. I did around 70 miles, with a cup of tea half way, and regarding comfort, leg position etc it was very good. At 60 mph the bike wafted along nicely, with plenty in reserve to make a smart overtake of slower vehicles..
I definitly prefer the styling of the Bobber, so that’s what I’m going to look out for. But if it doesn’t work out, I now know that a Speedmaster will do what. I need it to... so it’s a thumbs up from me..
Ok, the "pull away" thing. It took me about 3-400 miles to work that one out. The Bobber/SM gearbox is close ratio and high geared. Despite the torque monster engine, the secret is to recognise it and slip the clutch with "enough" revs up to as much as 10-15 mph... The next thing is changing down for corners, I generally use a rule of thumb for changing gear when the first digit of MPH = next gear (20mph for 2nd, 30 for 3rd etc). When doing tightish turn offs into side streets, I always use 1st... Took a lot of getting used to after my Stelvio which could be in 6th by 35mph...

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Funny you should say that Larry.... because that’s exactly how I ended up riding it..

2nd= 20, 3rd=30, 4th=40 etc.... I found that pootling through a 30 limit in 3rd gear felt very natural...

To be honest, I’m not interested in top speed, those days are well behind:crying: I’d be tempted to lower the gearing slightly,
Maybe 3 more teeth on the rear might improve things....????

Anyone tried altering the gearing??

Oh my mates Thruxton R turned up this morning...I’m storing it until he gets his full licence....

·
Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There's a thread somewhere for people to post about their cars as well. Sounds like you'll fit right in.

BTW, can't call the back/knee problem area the Old Farts section. There are many of us who are Old Farts and don't have back or knee problems...being an Old Fart is a state of mind.

Your friendly neighbourhood Old Fart,

- Pasta

1 - 20 of 22 Posts