Triumph Bobber Forum banner

New from California

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Puma 
#1 ·
Expanded my Triumph ownership last week to include a Bobber TFC to go with the Thruxton TFC. I've only run about 80 miles on the Bobber thus far but should have up to 500 miles for initial service shortly.... assuming the fires diminish or at the least the wind changes direction. I've found a lot of good information on this site and look forwarding to learning more.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the purchase of the Bobber TFC (I'm envying your collections at the moment :X)!

I suppose you're in NorCal with the fires. It makes me wonder how all that smoke is going to mess with the air filters on the cars and motorcycles - I guess you'll find out during the initial service. In anycase, stay safe!

#7 ·
Chico - The pipes discolor due to heat - called blueing. Some say it's because it's running hotter due to a leaner fuel mixture these days but all headers did this back in the day so not sure I buy that explanation. I'm in the camp that likes it as long as both cylinders are about equal color (otherwise there may be a tune problem), but others don't and spend hours polishing them back to original or they can wrap them.... to each his own. The fires are coming under control and the wind has changed to onshore so the smoke is blowing inland now and clearing up nicely.

ysolo - Thank you! I'll likely keep them both pretty much stock with the exception of a side pannier for the Bobber. The Bobber is more of a thumper and it's pretty quick to spool up as is but haven't really opened it up yet so we'll see. I did put tank pads on the Thruxton as my leathers slide around without them so it's a safety / comfort thing for me. The Thruxton is pretty fast as it is and it handles significantly better than my stock Thruxton R (that I traded in for the TFC) but I haven't had a chance to take it out to the track yet due to Covid 19 shutdowns.... maybe next year.

#12 ·
Welcome to California... home of the wildfire (used to to be earthquakes but those have thankfully been few and far between the last 30 years or so... are we due?). I'm guessing you are in Central or Northern California (Norcal) if fire smoke is an issue.

#9 ·
I'm familiar with the discoloration of single wall chrome headers but the stainless pipes take much longer to discolor. Since your bike is pretty new it caught my attention. My Bobber is older but I had the exhaust ceramic coated so I can't tell if they would have darkened but my Tiger has 6M miles and hasn't discolored. Just curious, not an issue, enjoy your bike.

Chico

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.