Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within 5 minutes of owning the bike the standard brake reservoir top was offending my eyes so a hunting I went on the internet for a slightly less informative replacement.

I finally decided on the plain black Union Jack on the basis of it being in keeping with the Bobber Blacks theme and because it gives a little nod to the bike being a Brit.

In any case I’m chuffed with this simple little mod except for the fact that they sent out stainless screws which just look odd. Instead I’ve reused the standard black screws but I plan to try and find some black anodised replacement.

http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20658&stc=1&d=1523920438

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mine is up on the Apes so out of sight . I had planned on a replacement but it's not a priority since I can't see it well while sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Within 5 minutes of owning the bike the standard brake reservoir top was offending my eyes so a hunting I went on the internet for a slightly less informative replacement.

I finally decided on the plain black Union Jack on the basis of it being in keeping with the Bobber Blacks theme and because it gives a little nod to the bike being a Brit.

In any case I’m chuffed with this simple little mod except for the fact that they sent out stainless screws which just look odd. Instead I’ve reused the standard black screws but I plan to try and find some black anodised replacement.

http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20658&stc=1&d=1523920438
Good choice, mine too came with stainless screws, which at first I wasn’t keen on but having had them on the bike now some time I’ve changed my mind as I think they fit in really well with all the other stainless screw/bolt tops around the bars and the headstock. Although I can understand if you’ve got a Bobber Black you'd want everything black!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is the swap a simple “remove old, screw on new” or do you have to bleed the brakes? I don’t know anything about the reservoir.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update...

I took the bike out for a little ride yesterday and after ten minutes or so noticed a little liquid on the side of the reservoir. Gave it a little wipe and carried on... but a little more liquid appeared so I headed back home to check the screws were tight enough... as suspected they still had a little way to go before being fully nipped up!

Slightly concerning as I believe brake fluid and paint aren’t the best of bed fellows! But it was luckily the tiniest amount so I think I got away with it. Just to be sure though I gave the tank and front fender a good wash to get rid of any possible transfer.

Lesson learned! :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Update...

I took the bike out for a little ride yesterday and after ten minutes or so noticed a little liquid on the side of the reservoir. Gave it a little wipe and carried on... but a little more liquid appeared so I headed back home to check the screws were tight enough... as suspected they still had a little way to go before being fully nipped up!

Slightly concerning as I believe brake fluid and paint aren’t the best of bed fellows! But it was luckily the tiniest amount so I think I got away with it. Just to be sure though I gave the tank and front fender a good wash to get rid of any possible transfer.

Lesson learned! :surprise:
Glad you caught that!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just unscrew the cap and replace with a new one. No need to bleed the system as there is a plastic reservoir protection cap underneath the CNC machined cap to stop moisture and dirt getting in. To change the cap it takes about 90 seconds.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please see my other thread titled... leaking brake reservoir SOS...

If you have any suggestions/views or just want to buy a knackered reservoir top from me feel free to get in touch! :grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts