Triumph Bobber Forum banner

New Bobber Matte Black 2019

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jerrman 
#1 ·
Hello all, this my first post here. I picked up my new Bobber black a few weeks ago and love it. I had an Indian Scout that I’d modified a bit before the Triumph and can definitively say that the Bobber feels like a higher end bike. The Indian did have belt drive, which would be nice to avoid the chain grease but I’m not looking back! So far, the only thing I’m changing on my Bobber is to black out more of the silver parts on it. I also really want to remove the goofy “Bobber” logo. I have the matte black finish and the sticker seems to be on top of the paint with no clear coat. Has anyone removed their Bobber stickers from a matte finish?

#2 · (Edited)

Attachments

#5 ·
Roy,
Good lord you’ve done a lot to your bike and it all looks great! I’m only going to do some simple bolt on stuff to black the bike out more and get rid of that stupid Bobber decal. Now I have your posts as a roadmap for all I want to do and more. Thanks for the link, it will be very useful.
Cheers,
Buzz

#8 ·
Welcome. i envy the flat black you got. Mine is gloss but i couldn't pass up the deal. One day I'll get her dressed in California suede.

#10 ·
Funny story re the gloss vs the matt.

By the way I went for the gloss but think both are really great.

So I ordered the gloss, the day I picked my bike up it was a half and half! The tank was gloss, all the mudguards and side panels were matt. I pointed this out to the dealership and sure enough they admitted that this was Triumph's error, ordered all the new parts and replaced as needed.

Maybe I had inadvertently landed a pre TFC special and should have kept it that way..:surprise::laugh::smile2:

Cheerio,

Roy

#11 ·
I’m not sure where to post this but I thought Bobber owners, and other newer Bonneville owners in general, would like to know about a WiFi OBD2 reader and app combo that I found works well with our newer bikes:

BAFX OBD2 reader - WiFi OBDII Reader / Scanner for iOS Devices

OBD Fusion app - OBD Fusion® - OBD2 Diagnostics for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch | OBDSoftware.net

I recently had a Check Engine light come on, at 88 f-ing miles from new, and my dealer told me they had a backlog of 200 calls for Service to get to before they could talk to me about it. I figured I should at least find out what the code was that was causing the light to come on, so I went looking for an OBD2 solution.

After a good bit of research, I settled on the iPad/iPhone compatible wireless OBD2 reader by BAFX, and the “OBD Fusion“ app. The combination costs all of $36 and plugs up easy, without any tools, to the OBD2 port (behind the right Bobber side panel). If you haven’t popped your side panels off, they just release by pulling gently from the front bottom, out and upwards.

After plugging the reader in and connecting to it via my iPad, I found the code that was causing the light to come on was P0917, defined as Gear Shift Position Circuit High. There are apparently quite a few things that can cause this code but one of the first actions most folks seem to take, if there is no suspected physical failure, is to reset the code and see if it comes back. Mine reset successfully with the OBD tools and has not come back after a short ride. I don’t know yet if this was an anomaly but at least if it does appear again, i’ll have some info to give the dealer. Regardless, the OBD tools were useful and for $36 bucks I can now research and clear codes as necessary.

#12 ·
congrats and welcome. i’m fortunate to have both the Scout (for long trips) and Bobber (day rides/around town). might be age, but love the weight (less) and ease of maneuvering of the Bobber every time i ride. Scout is still good on those multi-day rides particularly with its storage. p.s. thanks for the OBD tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.