Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i'm new to this forum, wish i knew you were here when i got my Bobber, and i'm looking for a little help

i took my Bobber out for a little spin today, 222miles, but what i found is that my gas gauge always read somewhere between 83mi and 90mi, which would be great if it was true! actually if i'd get off the bike and let her sit for 1/2hr or more she'd show 73mi, then as i rode it would slowly creep up to 83-90mi. so i had to figure my range the old fashion was, by resetting the trip gauge after each fill-up.

stuck float?

or does the range gauge work off of pressure inside the tank, meaning maybe my gas cap isn't making a complete seal, so i get the wrong reading?

or maybe there's something magnetic inside the tank, and my CorTech tank bags which holds on to the tank via magnets is messing something up (although i have ridden with it on there for many many miles).

or last week (and i haven't paid attention to it scine) i almost ran completely out of gas, the range meter said 2miles left, so maybe that messed something up?

idk, i'm not a mech so i got no clue!

what do you think?

looking for help....

Todd

·
Registered
66 Posts
I never really paid much attention. It does seem that after 1500 miles mine is more accurate. My thought is maybe a simple computer update would cure the issue. Since I am uncertain of the technical aspect that’s a guess of ignorance on my behalf.

I usually just gas up around 100 miles. Today after a 115 mile run a manual calculation was 55 mpg, the bike showed 60. Distance to empty I didn’t check. I do agree if your going to add this feature it should be accurate to some degree, it probably will never be exact.

This seems to be a common issue on the Bobber.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not an "inaccuracy" of the gauge. something about it is broke or stuck, or something? when i fill it up, ride 50miles and it still shows a range of 90miles, something is broke. i don't think it's in the electronics because every other aspect of the digitals give good readings.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Upon fillup most will read 50-70 miles. It is very conservative. Because of the shape of the tank the sensor can't get a good reading till its down to 3/4 tank, at which time it should have climbed up to 85-95 miles. It will then count down quite accurately to empty!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Upon fillup most will read 50-70 miles. It is very conservative. Because of the shape of the tank the sensor can't get a good reading till its down to 3/4 tank, at which time it should have climbed up to 85-95 miles. It will then count down quite accurately to empty!
after i ride 50 it's still reading 90

i've got over 3500miles on this bike and this "behavior" has not been seen before. something is not right, i just don't know what and it's 125mile ride to the dealer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the naysayers out there, the numbers don't add up.

when i first filled up the tanks it said 73miles of range, and after 54.8miles of riding it still says 73miles of range, AND look at the mpg, 53.4! two weeks or so ago it would read closer to 30mpg.

something is stinky in Denmark, and it looks to be my bike

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
Phone your dealer with the question.
Or try again with no magnetic bags attached, there is a thing called residual magnetism,(it disipates over time) so do it for a while before putting the bags back on.
I would still phone the dealer before a 125 mile trip.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I agree. Easy to get used to. Otherwise to the OP; if it's playing up, then a call to the local dealer should help.

mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if (from the pics in post 6) i add up the 54.8 miles ridden and the 73 miles left i get a total (predicted) 127.8 total range of miles from the last fill up

this morning i road it into work and when i got in the gauges read 62.3 miles ridden and 51 miles left, that gives (predicted) 113.3 total range of miles from the last fill up.

between the two times i read the gauges there's a difference of (predicted) 14.5 miles, let's just chaulk that up to the differences in some computer gizmo ability to predict how i'm riding, weather, birds singing, what i ate for breakfast, whatever. let's just use the lower total predicted range of miles of 113.3.

is anyone else getting about 113 miles between gas tank fill ups?

·
Registered
553 Posts
If I refuel at 10 left then that is spot on, refuel light on at 90 nearly every time. remaining miles 30. Most refuels done at about 110 with 10-15 remaining. I have posted somewhere here pictures with trip of 120.7 and the remain ---. Fuel uplift of 8.97 litres. And that was a great afternoon ride out with twisties, over-takes and a blast down the A30 at above average speeds.
Sometimes if you go to the toilet before you go out you may get an extra mile...... ;-)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sometimes if you go to the toilet before you go out you may get an extra mile...... ;-)
:laugh:

is anyone else getting about 113 miles between gas tank fill ups?/I]

Yes, actually more! I get an average of 200-210 kilometres out of my tank. That's about 124-130 miles!

Slightly off topic; contrary to those who consider the bobber tank to be too small; I personally think it's perfect. After about 100 miles I'm ready for a break anyway, even when I'm riding my Harley Road King, which can go to 300 kilometres; I prefer to pause often. Sometimes I'm touring with a mate of mine who rides a Ducati Multistrada; and he has to stop every 220 kilometres too; and that's a so called "touring/enduro/adventure" bike!

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
607 Posts
dear <insert diety of choice here> in <insert mythical place of afterlife here>, i'm getting about 80 to 83 out of a tank but I do commute in London, but still......

·
Registered
145 Posts
210 kilometres ( 130 miles ) is bang on. That is the best I have gotten. I guess people can not understand it is a estimate on fuel range when the tank is full. My BMW does the same when it is full.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i rode her around town a bit more and when she said 7miles left to go, she read 106miles for the trip. that's 113miles total. looks like whatever was causing the confusion is no longer, or maybe more beer has cleared things up :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts