Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am currently trying to make up my mind between buying a Triumph Bobber or an HD Forty Eight. I realise that asking that question on the Triumph Bobber forums might seem odd however I was hoping some of you may have also gone through the same decision making process when you were buying the bike. Here in the UK there is not a lot in it pricewise (HD is a bit cheaper), though I am trying to get my dealer to get a bit closer to the HD price. I have test ridden both. I currently own a BMW R1200GS which is what I use for touring but I am in the fortunate position of being able to afford a second bike so now I want something that is smaller and will be used for weekend riding and occasional commuting. I have had a Harley before (Softail Night Train) and a Triumph before (Street Triple).

If I was really pushed for a decision right now I would say I would be leaning towards the Triumph as everything is a bit more modern and up to date (having an actual fuel gauge on a a small tank is a big plus). However, while I know only I can make the decision, I thought it would be useful to hear the thoughts of others who bought the Triumph, who also found themselves having the same dilemma and what ultimately got them to purchase the Triumph.

Thanks
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
If I was really pushed for a decision right now I would say I would be leaning towards the Triumph as everything is a bit more modern and up to date (having an actual fuel gauge on a a small tank is a big plus). However, while I know only I can make the decision, I thought it would be useful to hear the thoughts of others who bought the Triumph, who also found themselves having the same dilemma and what ultimately got them to purchase the Triumph.

I had a similar dilemma, between the Nightster and the Street Twin. Ultimately I was going to go with the Street Twin because I liked it's safety features, ride modes, etc over the HD even though I liked the look of the HD better, but when pricing was released for the Bobber, I never looked back.

I have not ridden the 48, so can't speak to that, but the Bobber does have a bit more power to it.
The Bobber also has ABS as a standard, it's an option on the 48.
Bobber is 6 speed, HD is 5. Bobber has a slipper clutch, not sure if the HD does.
The Bobber weighs less.
Bobber has a lower seat, and adjustable seat.
Bobber has spoke wheels (has tubes, but spokes go so well with this type of bike)
Take a look at this side by side comparison to features, etc.
https://auto.ndtv.com/compare-bikes...bber-1334-vs-harley-davidson-forty-eight-1186

My preference are the post war look of bikes (was riding an RE) and I think Triumph nailed the look but with modern flair and amenities. The 48 is def a great looking bike, but when comparing the stats and features, you get more with Bobber.

Either way, you'll have fun! Hopefully some members have more experience with the 48 and can provide an apples to apples commentary.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi, I had exactly the same dilemma, so much so that I even had a deposit down on a 48.
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the 48, I think it is a cool looking bike but it is far more less refined than the Triumph, which is smoother, more repsonsive and handles better.
Also cost wise, you need to spend at least £1,300 making it stage 1 to even get anywhere near the performance of the Bobber out of the box. Plus fit and finish wise there is no comparison, just start with that ugly as sin wiring harness that is visible from the 48's peanut tank and thru into the seat, no such oversights on the Triumph.

Ultimately it will come down to a personal choice, they are both cool bikes and with each brand I suppose you are also buyng into the brand heritage and lifestyle (probably more so with Harley). It is no good if all your pals have HD's and you rock up on your Triumph only to be ridiculed (or vice-versa).

No one should ever hate on anyones choice of motorcycle as another person on 2 wheels is another brother out in the wind.

I do not regret my choice and really love the Bobber but that doesn't stop me taking a good look at nice 48 as I fly past.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I surely cannot tell you what to buy. In the end it all comes down as a matter of taste.
I will just say that much: I had a Harley for the past 8 years, sold it last summer and bought my Bobber this spring.
I did not regret my decision for even a second since then. The Bobber ist a killer ride and lots of fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your replies. Have just found out that there are no Forty Eight's in Vivid Black in the whole of the UK so given I can take delivery of the Bobber on Saturday I think that just made the decision easier. Dealer isn't budging on price though. Guess that's what happens when it is a new model and is popular. He is giving me the green & silver paint at the same price as the black one and not charging me labour on installing the heated grips. I was hoping he would throw in the grips for free but he wasn't having that :smile2: Don't really need the heated grips but after having them on my BMW I think I would miss them on the Triumph. You do get used to nice toasty hands!!

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Thanks all for your replies. Have just found out that there are no Forty Eight's in Vivid Black in the whole of the UK so given I can take delivery of the Bobber on Saturday I think that just made the decision easier. Dealer isn't budging on price though. Guess that's what happens when it is a new model and is popular. He is giving me the green & silver paint at the same price as the black one and not charging me labour on installing the heated grips. I was hoping he would throw in the grips for free but he wasn't having that :smile2: Don't really need the heated grips but after having them on my BMW I think I would miss them on the Triumph. You do get used to nice toasty hands!!
Excellent choice! I have the green and silver. Nice that he came down to the black price..save a few bob on that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great job on the green and silver for a std price. If you are not that bothered about the heated grips, can i suggest you go for the barrel grips at £25 and get a brown or black QUILTED seat instead.
My mate has the brown quilted and it looks awesome on this colour scheme. He has the heated grips but wishes he got the barrel grips like me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can I just say that you really should shop around... my local dealer priced up my spec at £12,000 and offered £300.00 off. I called a few others and am getting a new one with the same spec for £1600.00 off...

Yes it's 100 miles away but so what?

I called 5 garages in total, one 300 miles away was also willing to do a much better deal... all depends on how in demand they are at any time. Madness to accept the first quote.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did contact another dealer today but they were more expensive. Plus the bike was available this week so with summer fast coming to an end I paid what I was happy with. Sure I could spend all my time ringing around the country to save some money (not having 2 bikes would be a more sensible way to save money) but I'd rather be riding.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great job on the green and silver for a std price. If you are not that bothered about the heated grips, can i suggest you go for the barrel grips at £25 and get a brown or black QUILTED seat instead.
My mate has the brown quilted and it looks awesome on this colour scheme. He has the heated grips but wishes he got the barrel grips like me.

And here is said machine...

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've stuck with the heated grips as it does make riding in the cold weather more comfortable. That seat does look good. The one I test rode had the brown ribbed seat and that was pretty comfy. I haven't actually ridden it with the stock seat yet though I sat one one with it and thought it was pretty good. What does your mate say about the comfort of the quilted one? Perhaps that will be a first service purchase for me.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I did contact another dealer today but they were more expensive. Plus the bike was available this week so with summer fast coming to an end I paid what I was happy with. Sure I could spend all my time ringing around the country to save some money (not having 2 bikes would be a more sensible way to save money) but I'd rather be riding.
Congrats. The Bobber is a great machine with such a high ´feel-good´factor! It makes alot of sense as a second bike next to the beemer.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I wouldn’t say the quilted seat is any less or more comfortable than stock they’re both good, but note it is a different profile (it’s less cupped) so I’m guessing it might work better for apes? For me with standard bars the quilted seat doesn’t work as well in the fully-forward position as the stock but then again I am tall. In the fully-back position it’s a different story, I love everything about this seat now - the looks, the feel, everything! So if you like the way it looks I’d say go for it but do have a play around with it’s position because it make a massive difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a good looking seat. Will give the stock one a go for 600 miles and then look at changing when she goes in for a service.

On another point, does anyone use the Triumph phone holder kit? Seems like a reasonable price when compared to a RAM mount. Only want to use it for navigation using google maps on an iphone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And here is said machine...

A little secret you probably not aware of: The Competition Green and Frozen Silver is "FASTER". ?

Congratulations on the better choice of brand and color! On a more serious note, their only making the green and silver one year so I was told.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You made a good choice AndrewRW.
I'm lucky enough to own a Bobber and a 48.
It's actually quite hard comparing them as the really are quite different beasts.

The 48 is a typical 'chilled with attitude' Harley. Your feet are out in front unlike the Bobber.
It has a different heart beat and is very obviously a raw edged machine (in comparison).
It does perform well (for a Harley), and has tons of grunt and handles and brakes well.
HD have got the look just right, in fact I reckon it's the best Sportster Harley Davidson currently offer
Plus it has the heritage and Harley badge, which is enough for most people.

However, the Triumph Bobber is a better all rounder.
It outperforms the 48 in every department.
That cooled vertical twin is silky smooth in comparison to the rumbling v-twin, and Triumph, like Harley, have nailed the look.
And the Bobber has Triumph on the tank, and for us Brits that counts for a lot

I went a stage further with the Bobber and have (so far) fitted hi-bars and a new black and white paint job with white wall tyres and some white accenting on the seat.
That's the problem with bikes like the 48 and the Bobber - you just can't leave them as standard!.
I wouldn't be without either, they are different enough for me to choose whichever will suit my mood for that day's riding.

Have fun with yours :smile2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Certainly looks good next to the GS. And it seems smaller than it did in the dealers so definitely room for another bike in my garage I think :smile2:

Congrats. The Bobber is a great machine with such a high ´feel-good´factor! It makes alot of sense as a second bike next to the beemer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picked her up yesterday morning. Was a long week waiting for that!! Nice gentle ride home as it is a long weekend here and the weather is excellent so there are crazy car drivers everywhere. Rode around a bit yesterday arvo and then first thing this morning before the car drivers woke up. It's a lovely ride, aside from when I go over serious bumps and my kidneys get shaken! Handles really well and that engine is superb. Hardly noticed I was doing a ton at one stage. Also rediscovered the joys of wearing an open face helmet and getting bugs in the face! Only issue I had was with the fuel gauge not showing as being full when it was and the range indicator doing very odd readings ie only showing 60 miles when full but then not moving for about 40 miles. Thought I had a fault however I have found a couple of posts on here that say that this is completely normal.

25 degrees here tomorrow so I'm thinking an early morning trip to the coast before the holiday traffic picks up.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Picked her up yesterday morning. Was a long week waiting for that!! Nice gentle ride home as it is a long weekend here and the weather is excellent so there are crazy car drivers everywhere. Rode around a bit yesterday arvo and then first thing this morning before the car drivers woke up. It's a lovely ride, aside from when I go over serious bumps and my kidneys get shaken! Handles really well and that engine is superb. Hardly noticed I was doing a ton at one stage. Also rediscovered the joys of wearing an open face helmet and getting bugs in the face! Only issue I had was with the fuel gauge not showing as being full when it was and the range indicator doing very odd readings ie only showing 60 miles when full but then not moving for about 40 miles. Thought I had a fault however I have found a couple of posts on here that say that this is completely normal.

25 degrees here tomorrow so I'm thinking an early morning trip to the coast before the holiday traffic picks up.
Glad you´re enjoying your bike.
The roads and coastal roads in Mallorca are finally calming down from a VERY busy summer. This morning we had the same idea as you - hit the coast (and a bit of mountain roads for some cool, fresh air...)
Are you running a FOX shock, or a standard unit?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts