Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was removing the two plastic plugs on the left side of the bike to mount a power aux. One of the plastic plugs came out fine. However the other one broke off and now the plug is stuck in the screw hole. Unfortunately there’s not enough clearance to get a drill bit in there to drill it out without removing the tank and throttle bodies.

I’ve tried prying it out with picks, awls, screwdrivers, needle nose. I’ve tried gluing it out, soldering a hole for leverage. Nothing’s worked so far.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes threaded. Unfortunately the plugs are ribbed (not threaded) so it can’t be screwed out or easily pulled out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Try melting it with a piece of heated wire or just get a thread tapping die With the same size & pitch and give it a pass, eventually it will come out into pieces.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried heating a wire with a blowtorch but not much luck. I guess I’ll have to try the tap method. I’m not sure that it’ll get sufficient purchase to grab the plug. It’ll also be manual as there’s not enough clearance above.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeh, I knew the holes were threaded too, and wasn't going to lever them out. Bit obstinate but did manage to unscrew, bit hard on the fingers after starting with a pair of pliers.....good luck mate.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
heating the threads of a wood screw seems like your best bet. torch, heat, insert, go have a beer till it cools. then pull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts