Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my Bobber was in for it’s first service today, I had some thoughts about the first few weeks of riding and clocking up the first 550 miles during run-in.

Firstly, I love this bike and I'm so glad I bought it. I’ve noticed it gets a lot of attention on the street and all my mates think I’ve got the two coolest bikes in the World (my other bike is a black 2015 Speed Triple), so my street cred has definitely gone up! Having both bikes is great as they’re very different to ride, but both brilliant fun and I wouldn’t want to lose either now.

The stock seat and riding position is actually quite comfortable, although I’ve asked the dealer to move the seat back an inch or so in the slot. This should allow me to lean slightly more forward and take the pressure off my lower back (not that I've had any issues, but I had a slipped disc many years ago and don't like sitting too upright on a bike). I found I got a bit of a sore arse after the first couple of hours on the bike, but after a few trips out I got used to it and now don’t even think about it. I will consider a leather custom seat in the future (perhaps something from Alex Leathercraft?) and maybe a padded seat cover for longer trips. I noted that due to the bigger tank on the ‘22, the central seat bolt is partially covered, so one has to undo the tank bolts and gently lift the tank to get the seat off for adjustment. The pegs are in a good position, but will have to see how my feet sit once the seat has moved. I did notice that my heals sat on the exhaust shield a couple of times, but I don't consider this a problem as I move my feet around a lot on the pegs anyway.

Ride wise, the bike is brilliant and I could easily ride it all day (and all night). I fitted the heated grips (a luxury I’ve not had before) and they work really well. The cruise control is also useful, especially when one has to stick to the speed limit through average speed check sections on the motorway (not that I was on the motorway for more than a junction or two). It would be nice to be able to turn off the cruise symbol that appears on the display after it’s been first engaged and later switched off (… let me know if there’s a way to do this?). Talking of the display, it would also be useful to scroll back through the settings so one wouldn’t have the press the “i” button 7 times to switch between the rev counter and the clock. After a while, I'll have tuned to the revs by ear and won't have to look at the dial so much.

Handling is great and I accidently touched down the pegs on one corner without thinking about it (but then my wife accuses me of being too “leany” on the Speed Triple, so perhaps that’s just how I ride). I will consider upgrading the suspension in the future and did feel it bottom out a couple of times over a few hollows in the road. I’m just under 100kg fully kitted, so may need something a little stronger than stock, especially on the rear (from what I've seen on the forum the stock is optimised for a lower weight). The front brakes felt a little "soft" at first and needed little extra squeeze to get the bite I was expecting. It might just take a bit of getting used to, but I did ask the dealer to check it out and they bled some fluid out and topped it up and it feels a little better now.

After the service I'll start opening it up a bit more and exploring the engine characteristics in detail and enjoying the torque curve (I've not had a twin before and the engine is very different to the Triple). However, it’s felt super-smooth with a great engine sound, great clutch action and no problems with the gearing. I’ve ridden through central London and hit country roads and motorways without any issues or complaints. Fuel consumption has been really good and I've been getting around 58 UK mpg and about 120 miles between fill-ups. The gauges are pretty accurate and it took 9.01 litres to fill the tank after the reserve light came on, leaving 3 litres or another 30-odd miles in the tank.

The swing arm bag is really useful (serves to hold my disc lock) and I think it looks good too. I will consider finding a canvas bag for the other side (any recommendations?) and fitting it with the black Motone luggage rack, which will make it easier for the commute to work and I can use it for short touring breaks or as a curry carrier when I pop down to the local takeaway on a Friday night. Other aesthetic mods on my list include adding the Motone black aluminium fuel cap (I'm not too keen on the bright chrome stock cap against the matt black tank) and possibly getting the black carb covers and intake covers, but these can go on my Christmas list.

I borrowed a Street Scrambler from my dealer today and although great fun to ride, it just just doesn't have that Bobber X-factor. Likewise with the T120, Speed Twin and Speedmaster, they don't come close and there's just something so special about the Bobber. Anyway, the three and a half days of British summer sunshine we enjoyed this week appears to be over, so I'll get the chance to test the “rain” mode and put those heated grips to good use as I clock up even more miles... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
As regards canvas bags I really like the Hepco and Becker range. I think they fit the style and character of the bike perfectly but they are a modern item and, with the quick release facility are very convenient to use.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
When my Bobber was in for it’s first service today, I had some thoughts about the first few weeks of riding and clocking up the first 550 miles during run-in.

Firstly, I love this bike and I'm so glad I bought it. I’ve noticed it gets a lot of attention on the street and all my mates think I’ve got the two coolest bikes in the World (my other bike is a black 2015 Speed Triple), so my street cred has definitely gone up! Having both bikes is great as they’re very different to ride, but both brilliant fun and I wouldn’t want to lose either now.

The stock seat and riding position is actually quite comfortable, although I’ve asked the dealer to move the seat back an inch or so in the slot. This should allow me to lean slightly more forward and take the pressure off my lower back (not that I've had any issues, but I had a slipped disc many years ago and don't like sitting too upright on a bike). I found I got a bit of a sore arse after the first couple of hours on the bike, but after a few trips out I got used to it and now don’t even think about it. I will consider a leather custom seat in the future (perhaps something from Alex Leathercraft?) and maybe a padded seat cover for longer trips. I noted that due to the bigger tank on the ‘22, the central seat bolt is partially covered, so one has to undo the tank bolts and gently lift the tank to get the seat off for adjustment. The pegs are in a good position, but will have to see how my feet sit once the seat has moved. I did notice that my heals sat on the exhaust shield a couple of times, but I don't consider this a problem as I move my feet around a lot on the pegs anyway.

Ride wise, the bike is brilliant and I could easily ride it all day (and all night). I fitted the heated grips (a luxury I’ve not had before) and they work really well. The cruise control is also useful, especially when one has to stick to the speed limit through average speed check sections on the motorway (not that I was on the motorway for more than a junction or two). It would be nice to be able to turn off the cruise symbol that appears on the display after it’s been first engaged and later switched off (… let me know if there’s a way to do this?). Talking of the display, it would also be useful to scroll back through the settings so one wouldn’t have the press the “i” button 7 times to switch between the rev counter and the clock. After a while, I'll have tuned to the revs by ear and won't have to look at the dial so much.

Handling is great and I accidently touched down the pegs on one corner without thinking about it (but then my wife accuses me of being too “leany” on the Speed Triple, so perhaps that’s just how I ride). I will consider upgrading the suspension in the future and did feel it bottom out a couple of times over a few hollows in the road. I’m just under 100kg fully kitted, so may need something a little stronger than stock, especially on the rear (from what I've seen on the forum the stock is optimised for a lower weight). The front brakes felt a little "soft" at first and needed little extra squeeze to get the bite I was expecting. It might just take a bit of getting used to, but I did ask the dealer to check it out and they bled some fluid out and topped it up and it feels a little better now.

After the service I'll start opening it up a bit more and exploring the engine characteristics in detail and enjoying the torque curve (I've not had a twin before and the engine is very different to the Triple). However, it’s felt super-smooth with a great engine sound, great clutch action and no problems with the gearing. I’ve ridden through central London and hit country roads and motorways without any issues or complaints. Fuel consumption has been really good and I've been getting around 58 UK mpg and about 120 miles between fill-ups. The gauges are pretty accurate and it took 9.01 litres to fill the tank after the reserve light came on, leaving 3 litres or another 30-odd miles in the tank.

The swing arm bag is really useful (serves to hold my disc lock) and I think it looks good too. I will consider finding a canvas bag for the other side (any recommendations?) and fitting it with the black Motone luggage rack, which will make it easier for the commute to work and I can use it for short touring breaks or as a curry carrier when I pop down to the local takeaway on a Friday night. Other aesthetic mods on my list include adding the Motone black aluminium fuel cap (I'm not too keen on the bright chrome stock cap against the matt black tank) and possibly getting the black carb covers and intake covers, but these can go on my Christmas list.

I borrowed a Street Scrambler from my dealer today and although great fun to ride, it just just doesn't have that Bobber X-factor. Likewise with the T120, Speed Twin and Speedmaster, they don't come close and there's just something so special about the Bobber. Anyway, the three and a half days of British summer sunshine we enjoyed this week appears to be over, so I'll get the chance to test the “rain” mode and put those heated grips to good use as I clock up even more miles... :)
Nice first impressions review. I’m glad that you really like it and that there’s another Speed Triple owner on the forum, it’s a great combo.

I’ve got one too although mines a 1995 mk1

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Fuel tank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting write up. Mine is going in for it's first service next week and I must have been riding it like an old woman as I'm averaging 67.5 mpg. I didn't think I was hanging about though.
Note to self - must try harder.
I am also a fan of the Speed Triple and have owned various models over the years. I really shouldn't have sold my Mark 1 and was thinking about getting another but something better came up so I bought that instead.
So I now have a Bobber (twin), Thunderbird Sport (Triple) and a Speed Quattro(Four) in the garage.
Any ideas on Triumph bringing out a single cylinder so I can collect the set ;-)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Mine is going in for it's first service next week and I must have been riding it like an old woman as I'm averaging 67.5 mpg. I didn't think I was hanging about though.
Note to self - must try harder.

View attachment 51534
67mpg (U.K.) sounds about right for general bobbing about. My bobber’s got the original 2gallon (9litre) tank and it’s fuel warning light usually comes on when I’ve used two thirds of a tank (6litres), which is typically at 85miles. So I often fill up around 100miles with the gauge showing 30ish miles to empty, which makes mine roughly 65mpg.

Obviously it’ll do less if I’m out with the fast lads or more it I’m on a long steady run but all in all I think that’s great for the type of bike it is and I’ve got NO desire for a bigger tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts