Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Lads & Lasses,

One of the things I like about this forum is that You are all 'my kind of people'. Motorcyclists have always been a breed apart, no matter what gender, race, age, nationality OR era. From the earliest motorcycles 'bikers' have found comfort in to comradeship in what it takes to own and ride a motorcycle.

I like old photographs. It's a wonderful 'window' into the past and even if the individuals are long gone and mostly unknown, I find solace in keeping their memory alive a little. And in the case of bikers, seeing that we all share the same joy and passion, no matter what we ride or when we rode it.

To that end I have decided to start this on-going thread to share vintage original photographs that I own showing motorcyclists and their rides. Feel free to comment, share any you have or simply just enjoy the images I share.

I thought it would be appropriate to start off with a Triumph in the US. Looks to be 1950's ish but boy does it look familiar..:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Great idea Roy. I hate to change the subject but the car in the pic looks very interesting, very futuristic.

Chico

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Great idea Roy. I hate to change the subject but the car in the pic looks very interesting, very futuristic.

Chico
Love the pic. Car looks a bit like a Tucker. There's some kind of writing on the rear fender but, I can't blow it up enough without it blurring. Might be the model if not the make. Roy, maybe you can see it on the original photo.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a shot of the badge on the rear car fender, it's as good as I can clean it up. Let me know if anyone recognizes it?

I didn't grow up with American cars, so I'm at a loss. Now if it was a Triumph Herald I might be in with a chance:grin2::surprise:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Sort of like taking an eye test when they say "read the bottom line." Still too blurry for me. Looks a like "g" in the middle but that's about it. What about the hood ornament. That might provide a clue.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I think it's a 1950 Buick Special Sedanet. The one in this pic is a 2 door vs the 4 door in the original pic, but the back window looks spot on and the rear end is pretty darn close. The front of the coupe looks a lot different, but the Buick sedans have the front more like the original pic.

Great looking bike too, Roy! "Crackin," right?...lol Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think it's a 1950 Buick Special Sedanet. The one in this pic is a 2 door vs the 4 door in the original pic, but the back window looks spot on and the rear end is pretty darn close. The front of the coupe looks a lot different, but the Buick sedans have the front more like the original pic.

Man, the guy knows his cars! Rear end/tail lights are spot on. If you blow up the original, you can get a decent look at the hood ornament and it's the same as the Sedanet below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I need to track down a pic of my father-in-law and uncles-in-law in the pic they took before or after riding around Lake Superior back in the 60's. I'm looking forward to taking the same trip sometime in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The three holes on the side of the hood/bonnet is a dead giveaway, it's a Buick trademark.

Chico
Absolutely. I was looking for those but, somehow didn't see them right above the motorcycle. And, it's past my bedtime. :grin2: Nice spotting.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

Right you are! The car is what was sometimes called a "three hole Buick". Check the hood. My mother had a two tone blue/yellow Buick Special very similar to that.

The holes were called "Ventiports" and Buicks came in three and four hole versions. The four hole (or four port) version was a more expensive model. Here's a better explanation from Motor Trend -

https://www.motortrend.com/news/buick-ventriports-the-early-years/

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Chaps,

That's a pretty impressive 'forensic' analysis of the car, well done. Here is a pic of the front end for you showing the hood/bonnet ornament and the holes already mentioned.

Check out the seat on the Triumph. I see no one has done this mod yet to their Bobber:surprise:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Fun Fact: The current Buicks have 3 holes for the 6 cylinder and 4 for the 8s.

Roy, we've utterly and completely hijacked your well-intentioned thread. Perhaps we need one thread for pics and another for all of our commentary...lol Sorry, ole chap.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fun Fact: The current Buicks have 3 holes for the 6 cylinder and 4 for the 8s.

Roy, we've utterly and completely hijacked your well-intentioned thread. Perhaps we need one thread for pics and another for all of our commentary...lol Sorry, ole chap.
No matter at all old chap. It's just a fun and light-hearted thread with many more photographs to come. I'm pleased it has inspired so many responses regardless of the specific topic. Just some good conversation amongst friends. Gosh how 'off topic' can we all get over a pint sometimes?

Hijack away everyone..:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 95 Posts