Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the day started out beautiful, rode Bonnie to work.
Was a good day at work, looking forward to the ride home.
Left my job, when less than 3 blocks away I hear and feel a loud ‘clank’ from under the bike.
I pull over thinking something fell off the bike. To my surprise I see oil just pissing from under the bike ?.
I immediately shut her down.
Looked under the bike and could see the oil pan was damaged and had a crack in it where the oil was coming from.
To make my night even better, I was so focused on the oil/oil pan sending pics of my mishap to a buddy, he points out ‘hey, your frame is bent’. ?
Called for tow service, and about 4 hours later, had her dropped off at a Triumph dealer.
Thus my night. By no means am I superstitious but..............

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I was born on Friday the 13th and had my latest birthday on Friday the 13th. It doesn't pay for me to be superstitious. And my alma mater (Wake Forest) beat UNC on Friday the 13th. :grin2:

What the heck happened to your bike? :surprise: Did you run over something?? Hope you get it all sorted out soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Sorry to see this.
Do you know what happened ??
Looks like you ran over something or went over a speed bump rather ambitiously!
Hope the dealer manages to sort it out quickly, though the damage looks quite substantial.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wow! That sucks! :surprise:

Hope everything inside is ok? Looks like what ever it was just caught the oil pan.

Those 2 parts are fairly easy to change out. Although that pan may be pricey..:frown2:

Maybe check your tires closely for any cuts though.

If there is a bight side to this, You didn't go down!! A distinct possibility with the oil splashing out!

Glad you are ok. All in All, I'd say you got off lucky.. Relatively speaking.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rode over to the dealer on my other bike yesterday morning.
Without putting it up on the lift yet, what they could see and quote me for so far is the oil pan, oil pan gasket and that part of the frame. So far with labor it’s coming out to $1300 including labor.?
Oil pan is on back order. There’s goes my DGR ride on Bonnie. ?

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to see this.
Do you know what happened ??
Looks like you ran over something or went over a speed bump rather ambitiously!
Hope the dealer manages to sort it out quickly, though the damage looks quite substantial.
That is impact damage IMHO.

You can see the scrape marks.
That's terrible news.:crying:

Certainly looks like you git something hard.

Cheerio,

Roy
After I left the dealer yesterday morning I had to stop off at work to check on my staff.
When I left I stopped by the ‘scene of the crime’ to see if I could find what caused the damage.
The only thing I found in the area was a tow hook.??*♂

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Is there a chance someone went for a joy ride on your bike without you knowing. That frame has taken a **** of a whack. The marks and the shape must have nearly had the rider off

My 5¢

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The damage is bad enough, not to mention costly but, not knowing how it happened is pretty frustrating. If it happened while you were riding you certainly would know it. Toe hook? Do you think that had something to do with it? Sort of ridiculous I know but if it was larger I’d wonder if maybe someone tried to pull the bike (there are all kinds of strange people). How could the frame be bent without you knowing? Your best guess???

Hope it all gets sorted out.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I could see the tow hook doing that kind of damage.

If it comes squirting out from the side of the front tire just right. There is an awful lot of kinetic energy being transferred to the hook. The frame tubes are not that thick, once deformation starts, it takes very little force to continue a bend. The pan is just (relatively) thin aluminum I think, so again, hook at the right angle and velocity would certainly do that..

Did you have a look at the hook Jalaan? Was there traces of paint or powder coat?

Just my 2 cents, but I could see that being the culprit.

I have seen smaller projectiles do a lot more damage..

·
Registered
113 Posts
I could see the tow hook doing that kind of damage.

If it comes squirting out from the side of the front tire just right. There is an awful lot of kinetic energy being transferred to the hook. The frame tubes are not that thick, once deformation starts, it takes very little force to continue a bend. The pan is just (relatively) thin aluminum I think, so again, hook at the right angle and velocity would certainly do that..

Did you have a look at the hook Jalaan? Was there traces of paint or powder coat?

Just my 2 cents, but I could see that being the culprit.

I have seen smaller projectiles do a lot more damage..
Agreed. A tow hook in motion could certainly do some damage if there was velocity behind it. I had a mate who had his tibia fractured by a large bolt that hit his shin while riding in traffic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts