Triumph Bobber Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Red wine:
French - St Emillion grand cru - top favourite but need cash
Italian - Montelpuciano de abruzzio - general go to wine.

Beer - Pale ales and DUnkel beer, hoppy is prefered. So much choice in Devon/Dorset and Cornwall.
have put on a few pounds since returning to the Uk.

Might have to dig out some photos.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Must say I'm also partial to a small glass of Plymouth Sloe Gin when I'm over in the West Country... ;-)

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
224 Posts
agree on everything said about beer from Belgium...
my favourite German at the moment is Schneider Weisse, family brewers concentrating on wheat beer. Trouble with German beer is that the big brewer companies are forcing the smaller ones out of business and the taste of the beers made by the big ones is getting more and more similar

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alcohol

.....wines, beers and spirits is a ‘broad church’....

....my friends, never limit yourselves to your favourites.......just like a surfer looking for that perfect wave......always be looking to try new things to simply make your list of favourites longer......there is no bad booze, just that some is better than the others......especially if someone else is buying!

Just think of your current ‘favourite’ as the benchmark to gauge new experiences against.....so, my current benchmarks are,

in beer, Proper Job by St Austell Brewery

in wine, nearly all Cote du Rhône reds, (white wine is used for taking tarnish of the family silver is’nt It?)

in malt whisky, Talisker from the Isle of Skye

In bourbon, Woodford Reserve

Cheers,

Billybobber

PS: .....mines a large one please!>:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
My wife asked me what I wanted for Xmas last year (I can be a pain when it comes to presents as I'm not that fussed). Anyways, I stumbled across this.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/perfect-draft-bundles

When I saw it, I had to have it. Cold Beer on tap. We also have a micro brewery 5 minutes walk away from house, when I get a moment pop in and try whatever barman recommends.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Before I stopped drinking i developed a taste that normal Islay malts just could not touch, so i settled on 'Blackadder Smoking Islay' as a tipple of choice (best bang for your buck so to speak) or the raw cask strength if i wanted a real treat, nothing like 67% volume of deep smoke scorching the old taste buds. If you are looking for something a little more (to most) palatable then an '83 Port Ellen could be described as perfect.

Beer? - Black and Tan North of the border or a pint of ESB south (Pints of Gold Label in my younger years).

Wine? - not found one my palate can differentiate from malt vinegar yet

Now - I'm a coffee tart (maybe a decent cup of tea now and again (stewed, sugar and milk LAST!))

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
My wife asked me what I wanted for Xmas last year (I can be a pain when it comes to presents as I'm not that fussed). Anyways, I stumbled across this.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/perfect-draft-bundles

When I saw it, I had to have it. Cold Beer on tap. We also have a micro brewery 5 minutes walk away from house, when I get a moment pop in and try whatever barman recommends.
Pricey! Does it also keep the mini keg cold?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Beer is nice but, for me, Bourbon is better. Bulleit is my basic go-to, Woodford Reserve a step up and the my top choices are Bull Run, Blanton's and W.L. Weller. Not adverse to single pot Irish Whiskey either, like Green Spot (a poor man's choice to avoid the outrageous cost of Pappy's Van Winkle). Cheers!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Beer is nice but, for me, Bourbon is better. Bulleit is my basic go-to, Woodford Reserve a step up and the my top choices are Bull Run, Blanton's and W.L. Weller. Not adverse to single pot Irish Whiskey either, like Green Spot (a poor man's choice to avoid the outrageous cost of Pappy's Van Winkle). Cheers!
For Bourbon, Woodford Reserve is very nice. So is Blanton's. I've had a few shots of Pappy's but as nice as it is I wouldn't shell out the money for a full bottle. Angel's Envy is my favorite "average price Bourbon".

My drink of choice is Single Malt Scotch. (If you ever develop a taste for Scotch than Bourbon is almost too sweet.) I keep a spread sheet to track what I've tried and so far I have had 491 different Single Malts. :laugh: My total count of all whiskies is 618. (I hardly ever drink gin or vodka so I don't track them.) (Quite a few distilleries in Scotland are now making gin.)

Yes, I know that it is stupid to keep a spread sheet of whiskey/whisky that you sample but I'm retired. I don't have much else to do with my time. I ride my motorcycle, drink my Scotch and play my guitar. :|

21 - 38 of 38 Posts