Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this may be of interest to fellow owners....

I’ve been fancying the Triumph pannier kit, but have been put off by the price..:surprise:

A single Bobber pannier is £179 and on top of that you need the rail which is another £62:crying: So all in for a pannier set is £482

Anywho, on discussing this with one of the sales chaps at my local dealer, he commented that why don’t you just buy the Thruxton kit which is on offer and make it fit:smile2:..... Mmmm a bit of research says this should be pretty straight forward.
At £141 for the complete kit, it’s got to be worth a bit of effort.:wink2:

The kit comes complete with both panniers, fitting rails, and all nuts and bolts. On checking the rails, they’re really a close fit, but would require a bit of cutting and shutting, so with that in mind, I’ve ordered the Bobber specific Motone black rails which are £77 delivered.

So to fit the panniers to the Motone rails, I’m going to get 2 bars welded to the rails and bolt the panniers through them onto captive nuts on the back

Total cost will be £141 for the kit, £77 for the rails, £18 for stainless bar, nuts, bolts and washers, and £25 to get the rails professionally welded

Total cost £261 and a bit if time and effort..:smile2::smile2:

I shall update as I go along...

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Hi Enoch,

Nice idea, looking forward to seeing how you get on with this and how they look.

I did get the Bobber pannier kit and just didn't like how it looked so ended up getting the brackets cut/welded/powder-coated to suite my tastes.

Good luck and keep us informed of progress.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Innovative and cost effective! Well done and thanks for sharing. I’m sure quite a few will copy your discovery.
I hope so.. honestly the Thruxton rails are such a close but not quite fit for the Bobber, that had I known I probably would have just got them modded by my fabricator chap... it would take very little to make them fit..:smile2:

In saying that, I’m not to bothered at paying the extra for the Motone ones, as they’re already powder coated black...:wink2:

·
Registered
697 Posts
I looked up that part A9518093 and it’s running about $500usd. So you got a great deal.

Found it but it’s only for sale from the UK Triumph website. 70% off until 27/7/2019. Sadly the US website isn’t listing the same price.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds very interesting! I´d love to see some pics once you finalise it!

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Motone rails turned up today so straight to it...
You can see how close they are to the Thruxton rails..

I fitted the RH one to the bike

As I’m still waiting for my Stainless Steel to turn up, I then set about making aluminium templates

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Enoch,

Here is my similar project.

Cheerio,

Roy
Very similar, but mine are drilled for speed:laugh::laugh:

I’m going to weld dome nuts on the rear of each bar, and then drill the panniers and use M6 SS bolts to fasten into the captive nuts...:nerd::nerd:

Well that’s the plan..>:)

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little update

All my Stainless steel parts arrived, so I spent this evening setting up the brackets ready for welding:smile2:

I could MIG them myself, but I think TIG does a better job and I haven’t got a TIG welder, so I’ll drop em off tomorrow with a local Fabricator chap and he can get the welding done for me:nerd:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi, the template is simple. I don’t sell parts but I don’t mind sharing my template. I find the flat plate with 6 holes allows for a good fit regardless of the bags you want to use. Actually, using my template you can use almost any bag made. After powder coating the racks look perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good shout this, my dealer told me the offer stopped on the 1st of July

Decided i did not want to weld and paint so came up with an alternative solution..

Bought the Motone specific rails and slotted the bottom fixing, makes installing of rails ridiculously easy

4 x P clips, stainless M5 fixings, penny washers and 4 small holes and less than an hour later they are on and very solid

Tried taking pictures of the clips on the rails, but they are too hard to see :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts