Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a photo of the aux power socket mounted on the Bobber?

I can only find photos of the socket itself, but none how it looks mounted. Thinking about getting one but would like to see it first.

Tom

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not sure if this will help. I have added a usb socket on a bracket next to the power socket. The socket has a ctek charger plugged in, but this is the location. You remove two plastic plugs and it bolts onto the crankcase. WOT had these on sale recently for a fraction of what I paid them.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if this will help.
It sure does, thank you! Looks like to socket is well placed and doesn't really impact the Bobber's looks, that's good.
I don't really need it for charging (I think), but having the socket means I probably would not have to take out the battery in winter.

With my Speed Triple, I pretty much killed a battery every winter, regardless if I left it in or not and regardless of charging or not. Still don't know why.

On my other previous bikes and my Kawasaki, I leave the battery in - and once in a while, turn on the headlights for a while to discharge a bit and then top the battery off with a charger again, to avoid sulfur build up. Might also go for a trickle charger, let's see.

Tom

·
Registered
114 Posts
With my Speed Triple, I pretty much killed a battery every winter, regardless if I left it in or not and regardless of charging or not. Still don't know why.

On my other previous bikes and my Kawasaki, I leave the battery in - and once in a while, turn on the headlights for a while to discharge

Tom
Tom,
Recognising mode :)

Forget all shitty historical stuff, just get yourself the aux power Unit ( soooo easy and “invisible” to mount) AND a Ctek Power charger (in winter) just keep it connected all the time, (guess at Ctek they also have been thinking about how to load/discharge, probably even thinking about more things than typical end consumers do, so no discharging with lights etc any more) ==> all trouble you had is past tense.
Personally I use it for connection of my TomTom WHEN I (seldomly) have it on the bike, in winter I just have a Ctek on it all the time (bike is standing outside under its’ “pyjama” next to tiger800 “sister” already having had that “treatment” the last 3 years.
Cu
Léon
Who after having bought several, really regrets not to have bought shares of Ctek :))

·
Registered
124 Posts
There you go. Not exactly my finest photographic work, but that´s as good as my phone gets in an dark parking garage.
By the way: I totally agree with what Leon wrote above. Even though I have the aux socket installed I still prefer a fixed (and invisible) connection to tend the battery. I had both installed back when I got the bike and haven´t used the aux socket once ever since...

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should the rubber cover really go over the hex nut?

From the installation manual, it looks like it sits on top of the hex nut but behind the plastic washer.
I can easily slide it up all the way to the nut, but have problems getting it over and it staying on.

Tom

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts