Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A post from Zanetti go me thinking about jacks....

I don't own one and have always did the two person roll for maintenance.....which I want to get away from...any recommendations? I gather one for lower bikes would be good.

Was looking at the one below but wanted to see what others are using or would recommend...

Sears.com

Doing some research, the best ones out there are not really in my price range, and it's not like I am servicing tons of toys so need an uber setup...

·
Registered
79 Posts
What's your price range? There are so many to choose from, it'll be hard to give a recommendation without a price point.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Craftsman jacks from Sears and there's quite a few Harley owners who use them. My biggest fear with those is stability so you may want to look into a dolly too.

Also have people swear by J&S jacks. costs more than the Craftsman but worth a look.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This tire cleaner thing actually works. if only barely.
A buddy gave it to me but Amazon has em for $30. rate at 500 lbs.

I'm wild guessing 10 lbs of effort to wheel the tire round and round
for cleaning and lubing only.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This tire cleaner thing actually works. if only barely.
A buddy gave it to me but Amazon has em for $30. rate at 500 lbs.

I'm wild guessing 10 lbs of effort to wheel the tire round and round
for cleaning and lubing only.
That's actually pretty nifty looking!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since I have the rear swingarm spools, I got a $69 rear stand from CycleGear and it works perfectly for rear tire/chain cleaning & maintenance, oil changes etc. Eventually I'll get the front stand but for now, it does the job well.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wife appears to have bought me the rear stand, Pit Bull with detachable handle.....for Fathers Day...we shall see. I was outside when the box came in, and with Revzilla tape, can't imagine what else it would be....yes, I know the pic is 90 off.....

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
For involved maintenance, I use the OTC Motorcycle Jack. Picked it up on Amazon for around $160. I use it with my Harley Road Glude and my other smaller bikes. Use a couple of tie downs with it and it's rock solid.

For cleaning and quick tasks I use the Venom swingarm stand. I find the Triumph paddock bobbins meet up well with the stand and I'm confident with the lift.

·
Registered
155 Posts
For involved maintenance, I use the OTC Motorcycle Jack. Picked it up on Amazon for around $160. I use it with my Harley Road Glude and my other smaller bikes. Use a couple of tie downs with it and it's rock solid.

For cleaning and quick tasks I use the Venom swingarm stand. I find the Triumph paddock bobbins meet up well with the stand and I'm confident with the lift.

Mike,
Does the Venom work well for lifting the front?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm used to hanging onto the back of a bike as i pop it on a paddock stand, wth do you grab on the bobber, just to make sure its not on it's side?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yesterday I cleaned and lubed my chain. I placed a block under the kickstand to straighten the bike up then placed the stand on the spools and lifted. I was trying to hold the bike straight up. Had problems
getting the lift on the spools. The block trick worked great and made things pretty easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm used to hanging onto the back of a bike as i pop it on a paddock stand, wth do you grab on the bobber, just to make sure its not on it's side?
It's a little tricky but it can be done. I have the bags. When I put the bike away I pull the bags off. I use the bag rails to hold the bike straight up and down. Then I push down on the rear paddock stand. When I remove it I make sure the kick stand is down. I lean the bike towards the kick stand as I pull the paddock stand out.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you put a small piece of 2x4 wood block under the kickstand then use the paddock stand, it makes it much easier. Without the block, I used the seat as best I could.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts