Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title please folks... after having given Mr Bob his first thorough clean yeasterday I decided it’s time to look into alternative drying methods... after all anytime saved cleaning/drying our bikes means more time in the saddle.

Whilst I don’t mind the cleaning part, drying a bike is time consuming and tedious what with all of the recessed areas. I’ve watched some footage on YouTube and they appear to be an absolute god send.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi Mike - yes, buy one! I bought a bike dryer and it's a great bit of kit - really speeds up the drying process, reassures one that you're getting into all the nooks and crannies. It's not noisy in itself but I wear plugs (or listen to music) as when you go over the bike the noise generated is a little unpleasant for me, rather like the over-loud hand dryers in WCs!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info gents. I suspected these would be a popular... they certainly appear to be a game changer.

This one seems to be really good value and the reviews are consistently good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have a Master Blaster, The full size one.
Nice powerful warm air flow....
Start at the top of bike and work down, No spots when done.
When you turn it on, You better be hanging on to the hose.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've just been using a leaf blower for the last 20 or 25 years.
I was on the verge of using my own but after a little reading found that it is t ideal due to them blowing unfiltered air over the bike. So what ever is floating around such as dust and grit particle, it ends up being distributed over the bike.

But then again seeing as you’ve been doing it for so long if there is such an issue I’m pretty sure you would have cottoned on by now! ;) :grin2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was on the verge of using my own but after a little reading found that it is t ideal due to them blowing unfiltered air over the bike. So what ever is floating around such as dust and grit particle, it ends up being distributed over the bike.

But then again seeing as you’ve been doing it for so long if there is such an issue I’m pretty sure you would have cottoned on by now! ;) :grin2:
I've been using an electric leaf blower with great success. I understand the concern over the unfiltered air but i figured riding around at highway speeds subjects the paint to loads of unfiltered air as well. No cure for that :D>:)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using an electric leaf blower with great success. I understand the concern over the unfiltered air but i figured riding around at highway speeds subjects the paint to loads of unfiltered air as well. No cure for that :D>:)
Agreed but once the bike has been washed and then dried with a leaf blower the issue only then comes into play if you want to polish the bike. You will in effect then be rubbing a cloth over the bike when it’s covered in countless little particles of grit which act as an exfoliate. This will of course create swirling and in severe cases some horrible scratches :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
I hear a lot of people use pet dryers.

Personally, I just use a builders vacumn that I got from screwfix for £40. Doesn't do warm air, but it's good enough for me. I keep it purely for drying as I don't want to blast anything left inside after a hoover up over the bike.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Leaf blowers been okay for me too. I usually run it for a minute or so before applying it to the wet bike. Never had a swirl issue with polishing afterwards either.

The warm air with the dedicated bike driers appeals though. It would probably half the drying time.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts

Haha! If there is grit floating in the air...that would be scary!

What I did was hand dry everywhere as best possible the 1st couple times and got a few layers of wax on the frame, tank, etc. Then when using the leaf blower, it wicks the water right off the surfaces quicker and hopefully the wax is protecting it to some degree from the dust/pollen etc that is in the air.

You have the Black, so maybe that isn't an option?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha! If there is grit floating in the air...that would be scary!

What I did was hand dry everywhere as best possible the 1st couple times and got a few layers of wax on the frame, tank, etc. Then when using the leaf blower, it wicks the water right off the surfaces quicker and hopefully the wax is protecting it to some degree from the dust/pollen etc that is in the air.

You have the Black, so maybe that isn't an option?
Yeah the matte black can’t be polished and is a lot more subseptable to scratching and unfortunately a scratch can’t be simply polished out which means a repaint is the only option.

I plan to see how the paint finish holds up long terms but have already decided if it proves to look terrible down the line I’ll use it as an excuse to try a custom paint job.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

I have an electric leaf blower that I use only on my cars and my bike. It works very well. (I have a gas powered blower for my leaves.)

I would like to try one of those heated blowers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Right so I tried the wifes hairdryer, complete waste of time just doesn't have the muscle power. So went onto Amazon and was a bit surprised in the price difference between a bike dryer and a pet dryer, bearing in mind they look exactly the same, same wattage etc. So managed to pick this little beauty up

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Tuff-Concepts-Grooming-Hairdryer-Blaster/dp/B0734HSQ3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524501589&sr=8-1&keywords=tuff+concepts+low+noise+pet+dryer

£49 quid.

First things first it ain't pink alright, it's a manly shade of purple. Go for the outlandish coloured ones and you can get them cheaper than say black. Anyway's could not believe the power on this thing. I didn't use the heat setting, managed to get the bike bone dry in around 5 minutes. Word of warning, the wind noise is probably like doing 100mph down the motorway without a helmet. It's not that the unit is noisy it's the wind hitting your bike that makes the noise. I have never used a car/bike dryer before, but I am sold. Bloody marvellous bit of kit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts