Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’m thinking about fitting the Motone x-pipe that I’ve had sitting around for ages myself. But wanted to be sure I have everything needed to finish the job.

Are there any gaskets or special tools needed?

I’m aware of there being some instructional vids knocking around... can anyone steer me towards the best of them?

Thanks in advance :wink2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all,

I’m thinking about fitting the Motone x-pipe that I’ve had sitting around for ages myself. But wanted to be sure I have everything needed to finish the job.

I’m aware of there being some instructional vids knocking around... can anyone steer me towards the best of them?

All gaskets and bushings should already be on your original catalytic converter and rear mounted pipes(Rear Cat Pipe Sleeves, R Cat Gaskets, G Clamps, Bushings and brackets) They might be a bit stiff, so you can either soak them or hit them with some lubricant to make the job easier, otherwise you'll run the risk of cracking them.

As for a video, try Tech4Hire

Although he no longer runs the channel, the videos he did publish were of good quality.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi all,

Do it you won't regret it. Strip the old cat before fitting x pipe (i left 2 gaskets on and had to remove and re fit again) was well worth it. The sound and response much, much better. Allow yourself plenty of time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, the TEC video is the best I found. The Stuart fillingham video is OK as well. Think both give all the torque settings. For sure the Stuart fillingham one does.
As others have said, transfer all gaskets and rubbers from cat to x-pipe.
Both videos will show this very clearly.

·
Registered
270 Posts
One more thing....
Make sure you follow all the torque settings. It will ensure you get no annoying rattle/vibration from the x-pipe when at high revs.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
A tip, for the gaskets/clamps (referring to the bugger in pic) that tighten around the xpipe where the header/exhaust pipes slide in- after you mounted the xpipe, place those (gasket/clamps) where they are supposed to be and tighten them but only so far to where the pipes can slid in easily, then tighten them after the pipes are in.

If you put the pipes in the Xpipe 1st, then have to do the clamps (completely open and then close and tighten the nut) it can be very fiddly and annoying.....for me it was throw a wrench across the garage annoying.

This tip was brought up by another member after I shared my Xpipe installation experience.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts