Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Image debut for Jessica; I had promised some photos a while back, but life got in the way. I have been very busy with work, but also with my true love! Much more planned; in fact, parts are on their way here now.
A short list of the things I have done thus far:
- Rear fender removal
- Side mount plate kit (Triumph)
- Swing arm bag (Triumph)
- Rear multifunction lights (Rizoma Club S)
- Chain guard removal
- Statement Seat (Brown, Triumph)
- Air box(es) removed, installed conical air filters and crankcase breather (Amazon specials)
- TPS covers, brushed finish, finned (Triumph)
- Four bar vintage tank emblems (modified for fitment, cut to length and shaped for contour; Triumph)
- Clip on kit (Triumph)
- New Rage Cycle 360 LED fork wrap front indicators (NRC)
- Short front mud guard (Triumph)
- 3M Scotchprint 1080 Satin Dark Grey Metallic vehicle wrap (front mud guard, tank scallops)
- Sharpie white oil paint pen tire letters
- Exhaust wrap (another Amazon special)

Planned mods in progress:
- Just hold tight. I don't want to spoil the surprise!! Suffice it to say, a 7" headlight and a total rewiring of the bike are just a start...

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the tank badge is da bomb, care to explain the steps so others can imitate you?

I picked up the A9790070 tank badge bar vintage kit (no mod required for the T100 or T120 family). I had to cut off 1 1/4" from the front edge of the four bar badge body, which I did easy using a metal blade in a hand hacksaw frame. There are also small locator dowels on the tank side of the badge, meant to correspond with tank features our Bobbers don't have. These tabs were easily knocked off cleanly by resting the badge firmly against the work bench, standing up on the long edge, and giving two or three well placed raps with a small hammer. I'm sure it would be quicker with a cutoff wheel, but I didn't mind doing it by hand and it did go pretty quick. I made my lines by measuring, marking, and applying masking tape to the "keeper" side (for protection as well as a visual reference). After it was cut to length, I used a large flat file, turned on the narrow edge, to remove material between the bars. I cut back about 1/4", leaving a clean flat cut on all four of the bars. I then used a small flat file and 220 grit sand paper to round off each of the four bars. Mind you, this only shaping the squared off ends to a rounded finish, not removing any length. I then used a set of firm rubber jaws in the bench vise to get the major contour correct to the tank bulge. Once I had it to where the badge followed the contour properly, I had to apply some twist to flatten out the front. The badge needs bending on two axis in order to meet the tank horizontally as well as vertically. After the corners and mid section all sat well, I had to do something with the finish. The vintage finish was a nice gun metal grey, which I was not able to duplicate with my crap paint, so I started to brighten the badges using 220 and 320 grit mineral paper. I liked the look of working through the nickel and copper bath layers, so once I had it to my liking, I shot it with a matte clear finish. I applied new 3M extreme hold all weather foam tape to the back of the badges and stuck them right on. I used scotch blue painters tape to get my location accurately laid out on both sides. The center portion of the badges, the "Triumph" logo, was unaltered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amazing job!

How much did you end up spending on it?

Thanks! I don't remember specifically everything, but many of the Triumph parts I ordered directly through Triumph USA's site at MSRP (short front fender, swing arm bag, throttle body covers, statement seat, and tank badges). I was able to get the clip ons, the side mount plate kit, and short rear mudguard kit at Triumph of San Diego, which they did work a deal for me on, so I came out slightly less there. The exhaust wrap came as kit with the stainless straps for about $24. The vinyl wrap is about $2 a square foot, which thankfully motorcycles are pretty small! In all, about $1,500 in mods.

Reactions: Louie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks! I don't remember specifically everything, but many of the Triumph parts I ordered directly through Triumph USA's site at MSRP (short front fender, swing arm bag, throttle body covers, statement seat, and tank badges). I was able to get the clip ons, the side mount plate kit, and short rear mudguard kit at Triumph of San Diego, which they did work a deal for me on, so I came out slightly less there. The exhaust wrap came as kit with the stainless straps for about $24. The vinyl wrap is about $2 a square foot, which thankfully motorcycles are pretty small! In all, about $1,500 in mods.

Not to revive an old thread but did you have any issue removing the stock lettering from the tank? I was assuming it just needed a bit of heat and they would peal off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to revive an old thread but did you have any issue removing the stock lettering from the tank? I was assuming it just needed a bit of heat and they would peal off.

If they have tremendous age or sun on them, they may need a little heat, but if they are fairly new and unweathered, they should just peel right off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
sorry to bring up this, as i'm sure you've been noticing it. i also am having the leather on my statement seat start to crinkle up in areas. it's driving me nuts!

just normal wear and tear i guess. you're bike's looking awesome, great job!

·
Registered
370 Posts
How does the bike run with the air box delete any idling or acceleration issues any popping on deceleration ? did you install a booster plug ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How does the bike run with the air box delete any idling or acceleration issues any popping on deceleration ? did you install a booster plug ?

Thanks.

Deleting the air box has had no adverse effect on idle or acceleration. I have not had popping when I had only the air box deleted, but since deleting the cat and putting BC drag pipes on, I do have popping. I did about 1000 miles with just the air box removed and it was perfect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Let me start by saying that I love the look. Jessica is a sexy lady.

I am very interested on the Aribox removal done on Jessica. NOt sure if you already answered the questions I am going to ask. So if you did just direct me to the posting. I want to know what air box kit was used? make and part number iF any, etc. also for turn signals/tail light I see the placement and I was also thinking about the same placement or on the frame below the seat but this latter one would require brackets to be fabricated. Can you provide close-up pics of the installation of the tail lights and the wiring? Thank you in advance.

Image debut for Jessica; I had promised some photos a while back, but life got in the way. I have been very busy with work, but also with my true love! Much more planned; in fact, parts are on their way here now.
A short list of the things I have done thus far:
- Rear fender removal
- Side mount plate kit (Triumph)
- Swing arm bag (Triumph)
- Rear multifunction lights (Rizoma Club S)
- Chain guard removal
- Statement Seat (Brown, Triumph)
- Air box(es) removed, installed conical air filters and crankcase breather (Amazon specials)
- TPS covers, brushed finish, finned (Triumph)
- Four bar vintage tank emblems (modified for fitment, cut to length and shaped for contour; Triumph)
- Clip on kit (Triumph)
- New Rage Cycle 360 LED fork wrap front indicators (NRC)
- Short front mud guard (Triumph)
- 3M Scotchprint 1080 Satin Dark Grey Metallic vehicle wrap (front mud guard, tank scallops)
- Sharpie white oil paint pen tire letters
- Exhaust wrap (another Amazon special)

Planned mods in progress:
- Just hold tight. I don't want to spoil the surprise!! Suffice it to say, a 7" headlight and a total rewiring of the bike are just a start...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me start by saying that I love the look. Jessica is a sexy lady.

I am very interested on the Aribox removal done on Jessica. NOt sure if you already answered the questions I am going to ask. So if you did just direct me to the posting. I want to know what air box kit was used? make and part number iF any, etc. also for turn signals/tail light I see the placement and I was also thinking about the same placement or on the frame below the seat but this latter one would require brackets to be fabricated. Can you provide close-up pics of the installation of the tail lights and the wiring? Thank you in advance.

I’ll snap some pics of the lights and wiring I did, but to quickly answer the air box question, no kit involved. I did it all myself. I bought some no-name pod filters off Amazon and have had great luck with them. All of the changes to the wiring were done entirely my me, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ll snap some pics of the lights and wiring I did, but to quickly answer the air box question, no kit involved. I did it all myself. I bought some no-name pod filters off Amazon and have had great luck with them. All of the changes to the wiring were done entirely my me, though.

Anyway to get a close up of your wiring job and the job in general?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts