Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been an avid Kriega backpack user for many, many years but have yet to EVER own a full size Messenger style bag. I do have a Trip Machine shoulder bag, but its too small for my iPad and other bits & pieces.

I was wondering if anyone here has some input or maybe some other recommendations re. mid to full size, comfortable Messenger bags.

I have read lots about many different types and my choices are (in descending order):

1) Kriega Messenger EDC

2) Merlin Cheadle (in black)

3) Vanquest Gen4

4) 5.11 tactical Mike

I don’t really need a 100% watertight bag nor do
I want a “look at me” Louis Vuitton or boring Tumi, but instead I’m just looking to add something fun, usable & rugged to my collection.

I look forward to hearing your opinions & input.

·
Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Not a messenger bag exactly but I love Maxpedition stuff, so always sling this one over my shoulder.

It's big enough to carry all my essentials I like to ride with and if I call into the store I can even squeeze in a bottle of wine and some cheese if needs be..:grin2:

Not too heavy or bulky either, so hardly notice it when riding.

Lilli doesn't fit in it but she's so cute had to include her in the pic.:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Not a messenger bag exactly but I love Maxpedition stuff, so always sling this one over my shoulder.

It's big enough to carry all my essentials I like to ride with and if I call into the store I can even squeeze in a bottle of wine and some cheese if needs be..:grin2:

Not too heavy or bulky either, so hardly notice it when riding.

Lilli doesn't fit in it but she's so cute had to include her in the pic.:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy
I have a man purse that is near identical to this, it has served me well and has been on many traveling trips.

And these, well mine does, has a Velcro loop to go around you belt to limit movement.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I've always been a fan of the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger bag. I've had one that I've used for years, and I bought a back-up when they were on sale on Amazon for when the time comes that my initial bag no longer holds up. So far, the back-up is still in its plastic bag. Great bag, and I really like that it has a large clip that allows the bag to be worn firmly on your back and then, when unclicked, it drops nicely down at your side. I'm a simple "black bag" guy, but there are a variety of colors available as well, if you're into making more of a statement. Reasonably priced too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IXT9TEM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don’t have any additional suggestions for you eisen but out of the 4 you’re currently looking at and the requirement you have I’d feel drawn to the 5.11 tactical mike.

It just looks a little more rugged, appears to be very fit for purpose, is competitively priced and I have tons of 5.11 gear so no the quality to be of a very high standard.

Which way are you leaning out of the 4?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike & Ysoslo.
I’m leaning towards the Merlin and Vanquest at the moment.
I have been mighty impressed with the Merlin gear I’ve purchased so far and price/quality ratio is outstanding.
Vanquest are new to me, but seems to get raving reviews from hardcore travelers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like the look of a traditional hunting/cartridge bag like this barbour but find that bags slung over my shoulder tend to slide round and then I always feel like I'm adjusting them all the time - I reckon it's my sloping caveman shoulders rather than the bag's fault. For that reason, I tend to favour a back pack or ruck sack.

I've been very impressed with my XLmoto waterproof backpack that I picked up for £30 when it was on sale (it frequently is). The rubberised material has led up very well, it's spacious and the roll top is nice and secure. The straps and padding are perhaps a little thin but I've never found it uncomfortable as it's worn over my gear anyway. Although roomy enough for carrying a laptop, there are no inner compartments but I have a slimline padded case for mine so I would still be protected. This Shad bag which is waiting on a full description is new to the site but looks to be the same roll-top, rubberised materials. They also do a 'Vintage' canvas Messenger Bag which looks quite nice but I assume is not waterproof (more necessary in Blighty than other, drier climates).

Of your choices, I think the Kriega is the one I'd spring for - it's a bit boring to look at but their quality is hard to beat.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks Mike & Ysoslo.
I’m leaning towards the Merlin and Vanquest at the moment.
I have been mighty impressed with the Merlin gear I’ve purchased so far and price/quality ratio is outstanding.
Vanquest are new to me, but seems to get raving reviews from hardcore travelers.
I think they're both great, but out of the two the Merlin gets my vote, as I think it fits the Bobber's retro aesthetic much better.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Also like that Merlin for its vintage look which is in keeping with the Bobber aesthetic. Normally I wouldn’t favor a messenger bag over a backpack (my favorites are Burly, only water resistant though, and Velomacchi, pricey but it’s unique clasp is very functional) but, the Merlin has a waist strap which takes away some of my concern with shoulder slippage. Plus it just looks cool.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jerrman.
The Kriega has a rubber back and a very good release/tighten buckle.
I’ll also take a look at the Velomacchi.

Choices, choices ! :nerd::smile2:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see the Velomacchi is a backpack with a very comfortable design like the Kriega R25.
I’m sure they are amazing, but as I already have the R15 and R25 it’s not the style I’m looking for now.

Always nice to learn about about other high quality brands though, so thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'v used this for the past 5 years, in fact just bought a replacement as it's showing it's age and i got it 2nd hand, sits perfectly on the hip - 1st Responder just ditch the mag pouches :p
And one of these for when I KNOW it's going to be wet, the drybag trumps the non dry bag version as i tend to keep a 3k camera in it - Kriega Messenger

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'v used this for the past 5 years, in fact just bought a replacement as it's showing it's age and i got it 2nd hand, sits perfectly on the hip - 1st Responder just ditch the mag pouches :p
And one of these for when I KNOW it's going to be wet, the drybag trumps the non dry bag version as i tend to keep a 3k camera in it - Kriega Messenger
Thanks Ethariel.
I already have the sling. Great little bag, but looking for something bigger and without the folding “dry bag” bit (which is why I like the EDC version of the larger Messenger). The folding and clips are a bit annoying.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I see the Velomacchi is a backpack with a very comfortable design like the Kriega R25.
I’m sure they are amazing, but as I already have the R15 and R25 it’s not the style I’m looking for now.

Always nice to learn about about other high quality brands though, so thanks for sharing.
Ahh, I see your bag collection equals or maybe, exceeds your helmet collection >:). I guess you never know what you’ll be in the mood for before swinging that right leg over the seat :grin2:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Eisen, you started this thread and me thinking. I’ve NEVER used a backpack other than a hiking backpack as a Boy Scout leader. But I thought about how I can’t carry anything with me in the Bobber and when I last strapped my iPad on the rack I damaged the leather and I was mad. So being FRUGAL (cheapskate) I bought one from Amazon that Chico recommended. $30, delivered the next day. Now I’m hip! Or at least I think I hip! Wait till I get that Merlin Yoxall jacket, I’ll be the hippest 61 year old on my block! ��������

1 - 20 of 45 Posts