Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new here and joined just today, so please forgive me if this has been discussed. I have looked through the forum but I don’t see any dialogue specific to removal of the “Bobber” stickers from matte finish side covers. I understand the gloss finish bikes stickers are under clear coat. However, the stickers on the matte side covers on my bike don’t feel like they are under any coating. Has anyone successfully removed theirs without screwing things up? Thanks for any input!
Cheers,
Buzz

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I tried this. It was a fiasco. The "Bobber" sticker was an absolute pain to take off. Would not peel in one piece and the adhesive is extremely strong. Also, with my matte bike, the sticker is not just stuck on to an entirely matte black side cover. There is actually a depression on the side cover underneath the sticker that is gloss plastic!! Presumably this allows the sticker to adhere better.

Once I started taking off the sticker there was no turning back, though. I found an online sticker place that is going to try and sketch the depression and send me a matte black sticker to put over the gloss depression. (Or maybe I should just trace the other side's sticker...)

Had I known what was underneath I would have left it.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
So, I tried this. It was a fiasco. The "Bobber" sticker was an absolute pain to take off. Would not peel in one piece and the adhesive is extremely strong. Also, with my matte bike, the sticker is not just stuck on to an entirely matte black side cover. There is actually a depression on the side cover underneath the sticker that is gloss plastic!! Presumably this allows the sticker to adhere better.

Once I started taking off the sticker there was no turning back, though. I found an online sticker place that is going to try and sketch the depression and send me a matte black sticker to put over the gloss depression. (Or maybe I should just trace the other side's sticker...)

Had I known what was underneath I would have left it. View attachment 42608
Holy crap, dude! That's unreal! Sorry to see this turn into such a mess for you. Hopefully you'll be able to come up with a fix your happy with.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Had I known what was underneath I would have left it. View attachment 42608

That looks very much to me like the sticker has been sealed in with a matt varnish. You can see very clearly that the surface of the sticker is matt. Maybe someone has done this themselves or maybe it is a factory finish but I would not attempt to remove a sticker for this reason. I suspect it is a factory finish as the adhesion to a gloss plastic base will give a much better grip and the all over matt coat will seal it all in. Putting a sticker over a matt finish will almost certainly lead to it eventually coming adrift. Maybe Triumph have modified their procedures? The depression you talk about I suspect is the thickness of the clear matt coating.

I would leave well alone.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The sticker is put on underneath the clear coat. You have to sand it off, wet sand it smooth, and repaint/clearcoat. I just did mine a few weeks ago and it came out beautifully. If you don't have a spray gun, buffer, etc. Just take it to a paint shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts