Triumph Bobber Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I might be being thick here, but I'm confused by your reply. As far as I can see the thruxton has more hp and torque, however the bobber 'feels' like the faster bike IMHO. And I just stepped off an MT 10. The Thruxton is a lovely bike, but it doesnt speak to me like an MT10 or a bobber does, I know that might sound strange, but there it is.
Its' not important how many total hp you have, the real force what moves your ass is hp per kg(so light bike with fewer hp is much faster).
The 'feels' comes from sitting position and angle. More straight you sit, the more acceleration pulls your hands.
Move seat to rearest and that 'feel' will disappear as sitting angle changes.
Most of time i accelerate throttle 100% open and to read line(1-4 gear, 5-6 gear acceleration is just :crying:) and even then i say this bike need more hp. I really don't feel the massive torque, you need to keep rpm high to make this thing moving, or you are in trouble with accelerating cars >:)
(I know this is not racing bike, but it's pathetic for 1200cc when family car Volvo V90 T5/T6, shows you tail lights)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Its' not important how many total hp you have, the real force what moves your ass is hp per kg(so light bike with fewer hp is much faster).
The 'feels' comes from sitting position and angle. More straight you sit, the more acceleration pulls your hands.
Move seat to rearest and that 'feel' will disappear as sitting angle changes.
Most of time i accelerate throttle 100% open and to read line(1-4 gear, 5-6 gear acceleration is just :crying:) and even then i say this bike need more hp. I really don't feel the massive torque, you need to keep rpm high to make this thing moving, or you are in trouble with accelerating cars >:)
(I know this is not racing bike, but it's pathetic for 1200cc when family car Volvo V90 T5/T6, shows you tail lights)
You bought the wrong bike!

·
Super Moderator
993 Posts
Acceleration doesn't depend on HP, it depends on torque... Haven't got the stock numbers to hand, but I thought peak torque on the 1200 Hi torque I about 4-5000 rpm - which in itself is quite high... so for maximum accel, you should be changing just after peak torque... HP is what you need for top end speed

Reactions: Lucros

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Acceleration doesn't depend on HP, it depends on torque... Haven't got the stock numbers to hand, but I thought peak torque on the 1200 Hi torque I about 4-5000 rpm - which in itself is quite high... so for maximum accel, you should be changing just after peak torque... HP is what you need for top end speed
Peak torque is achieved @ 4000rpm. :smile2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
How much power would you think exhaust, xpipe, intake, tune and cam (tecpart) would make?
They posted a dyno chart for the T120 (which i believe shares the same 1200 HT as the bobber) that was equipped with their cam and decat x-pipe I believe, no other mods or remap.

with just those 2 modifications, it put out 89.1 WHP and 88 lbs/ft, with a full exhaust, airbox mods, and a tune, it could probably hit over 100? I could be wrong

Reference: https://www.tecbikeparts.com/wp-con...20-1200-DeCat-Straight-Through-Dyno-Graph.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think we should keep it going. Keen to pick @trirocket3 and co’s brains on performance.

I’ve switched to DNA air filters (straight replacement), cerakote’d Motone H-Bomb exhaust (not an x-pipe, but H-pipe setup) and a TEC camshaft will be going in over the next few weeks. I let the ECU adapt on it’s own (haven’t remapped) and have noticed good improvements across the board. Keen to squeeze as much out of the bike as I can without doing the supercharger.

My original plan was to do the DNK tune, but I’ve been advised by a few people the PCV is a better option. A few questions are (excuse my ignorance… !):

— Will I still need to remap with PCV or will that learn and adapt automatically? My understanding was that it was one or the other, but might have picked that up wrong.
— Am I missing any obvious upgrades to help push the numbers a bit further?
— I’ve never run on dyno before; is this required to fine-tune, even with PCV? If so, any tips?

Edit to add:
— Do I need to do anything about o2/lambda sensors?

Cheers!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ecu adaptions are minor, bike will run but not at its best, any modified bike will definitely benefit from a good dyno tune,
Tune ecu is very useful & there are starting to be custom maps made available for free.
What year is your bike ? I do still have a couple of my cams available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good stuff — it’s a 2017 Bobber (not Black). Would you recommend the PCV? Looks like you’ve had it a while. If I’m doing a dyno tune, will it really add anything?
When you say you have cams available, do you mean camshaft, or something else? I actually bought a TEC camshaft but haven’t had it fitted yet

21 - 37 of 37 Posts