Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, being that there similar if not the same engines with the bobber having lower compression, is there anyway to see the same numbers as the Thruxton horsepower and torque wise? Has anyone done a dyno run after doing air filter, exhaust and a tune?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
TEC will be manufacturing camshafts for our 1200cc bikes soon. Link is for reference only.
Those, paired with some new VEREX headers, pipes and air filters should see you liberate quite a few BHP with a proper dyno and tune.
You could also bolt on a supercharger (at 5000GBP+)
@trirocket3 is the man to talk to. Seriously knowlegable in these matters...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello, being that there similar if not the same engines with the bobber having lower compression, is there anyway to see the same numbers as the Thruxton horsepower and torque wise? Has anyone done a dyno run after doing air filter, exhaust and a tune?
My dealer told me they've seen around 100hp with straight pipes, x-pipes, intakes and a tune. Haven't seen it first hand, so take that as you may.

·
Super Moderator
1,043 Posts
Air filter, exhaust and tuning don't tend to do too much. They can change the shape of the torque and power curves, so you might see a bigger peak at the expense of flatness say. I'm always suspicious of '10% more power' claims without seeing the whole dyno curve.

I think cams and porting will be more effective in genuinely increasing the area under the torque/power curves, rather than just reshaping the curves. In other words, they do actually deliver more, not just increased peakiness.

Ultimately, you could just drop a Thruxton engine in...that would be fun. You could then add all the tweaks the Thruxton customer base has come up with. Double-dog-dare you!

- Pasta

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Stock Bobber is around 70rwhp
Redline is headwork + homemade X pipe, PCV, no new engine internals. = 93hp 30% increase
Blue line is same, but added Verex headers & mildly reprofiled cam. = 107hp 50% increase
My Bobber now pulls harder than my Thruxton R
Hey buddy great numbers... and having been on a ride out with you I can pay witness to what this rocket shifts like when given some wellie!

Did you happen to get a run from when the bike was bone stock? I’d be really keen to see how it compares to the two states of tune above! Also... you don’t happen to have a graph or if not, remember @ what rpm peak power/torque was achieved?

Cheers,

Mike.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hey buddy great numbers... and having been on a ride out with you I can pay witness to what this rocket shifts like when given some wellie!
Did you happen to get a run from when the bike was bone stock? I’d be really keen to see how it compares to the two states of tune above! Also... you don’t happen to have a graph or if not, remember @ what rpm peak power/torque was achieved? Cheers, Mike.
No chart but Shaun at Big CC told me it was 93ftlb @ 5250rpm.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Stock Bobber is around 70rwhp
Redline is headwork + homemade X pipe, PCV, no new engine internals. = 93hp 30% increase
Blue line is same, but added Verex headers & mildly reprofiled cam. = 107hp 50% increase
My Bobber now pulls harder than my Thruxton R
Hi Trirocket, couple of questions:
What is headwork - or what was involved?
What is PCV? power commander or something else?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Hi Gents,

This is not my area at all as high performance it not really my thing. However I can still very much appreciated the concept.

Dropping a Thruxton engine into a Bobber and fabricating a fat (hardtail?) back end would be interesting.

Would that make it a Bob-Rod..? :grin2::grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
33 Posts
I sold my MT10 to buy the Bobber, if I wanted real gains I'd sell the Bobber and get the MT10 back. For some reason I don't want to, not because I don't like the MT10 it's awesome, however I like the Bobber for what it is. I've already decked out both pegs, the side-stand and the left exhaust, so adding more power probably isn't a good idea. I'm not against tuning, I'm interested in whats possible, but I want to keep the low end, I rode the Thruxton and actually thought it was gutless. I don't get that impression from the Bobber, which is weird, because on paper it is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
> I don't get that impression from the Bobber, which is weird, because on paper it is.
Actually it isn't. Bobber has 0.33hp/kg and Thruxton has 0.48hp/kg. Bobber has 45% less hp per kg than Thruxton >:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
> I don't get that impression from the Bobber, which is weird, because on paper it is.
Actually it isn't. Bobber has 0.33hp/kg and Thruxton has 0.48hp/kg. Bobber has 45% less hp per kg than Thruxton >:)
I might be being thick here, but I'm confused by your reply. As far as I can see the thruxton has more hp and torque, however the bobber 'feels' like the faster bike IMHO. And I just stepped off an MT 10. The Thruxton is a lovely bike, but it doesnt speak to me like an MT10 or a bobber does, I know that might sound strange, but there it is.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts