Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
genius! ironically, my other bike is a ural...and i've been racking my brain on how to get a permanent storage solution on the bobber. here's the answer!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm hoping to find a version of "snap-on/snap-off", like windscreens for harleys...
But that was a good found anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks great! My only concern would be, that you will increase the weight of the unsprung mass rapidly if you put luggage there. So I would be really curious about your experience how the rear suspension performs with luggage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rack it self weighs less then 0.5 kg and max load is 5kg so no big hauling just for small items, so I'm not worried about unsprung mas.
But yes, it would be stupid to have to heavyweight load on the rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too am planning to add a rack to my Bobber as I do long distances and need to carry luggage - a rack will be part of the solution. With regard to increasing the unsprung mass: One of my other bikes is a 1941 WD Matchless 350 with rigid rear end. I can carry gear in two panniers and more on the rack. Considering the rear tire is a 3.25 x 19" the ride is still excellent OK It bounces a little on the pot-holes but it is very acceptable. I went over to Normandy for the 70th D-Day anniversary - 400+ miles. I'm thinking the Bobber's rear tyre / swing cage is more than capable to handle some extra weight - unsprung or not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm having a rack built right now. I need it for my road trip to sturgis. The rack will mount to the seat bracket. Similar to a towing receiver. Just working on the mock up now. I wanted to be able to remove it easily and just use it when needed.
Do tell...Keep us updated on the progress and of course the final product. Might i suggest that you tell the fabricator to keep track of the design so that they can easily replicate. If the final design is "bad aSS" share their contact info and tell them to get ready for some orders!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I told the fabricator that others might want to order one from him. My goal was to be able to put 50-100 pounds on the rack, have the rack be removal and not be attached to the rear wheel assembly. Originally I thought about having it mount on the panniers but I thought that might too much weight and the seat bracket gives the rack better height to clear the rear wheel range of motion. We might tie it into the panniers at the rear of the rack to make it sturdier. I'll still use bungee cords attached to the panniers to hold down a duffel bag.

·
Registered
126 Posts
my luggage rack

Mounted mine today. It was originally designed by German manufacturer Fehling for a Yamaha XV 950 R and looks pretty much like the Ural I think.Just had to drill four holes in the fender and I was done. Took me about half an hour of cursing and sweating to get the self-locking nuts under the fender tightened :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks great! My only concern would be, that you will increase the weight of the unsprung mass rapidly if you put luggage there. So I would be really curious about your experience how the rear suspension performs with luggage.
Valid point! However I strapped on a backpack of approximately 5kgs containing all my luggage of a 3 day tour. Didn´t notice any negative influence.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey Bass could you put a link to were you could buy one, looks like that handled your pack no problem!

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sure thing!
It´s made by fehling.de in Germany, originally for a Yamaha XV 950 R, the number in their catalogue is 6133 BR YA XV 950 R. Price should be around 100 Euros.

Or check here, I think there are numerous resellers:

https://www.amazon.de/Gep%C3%A4cktr%C3%A4ger-Beifahrer-Rack-Fehling-Yamaha-schwarz/dp/B00LCRFFXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501850668&sr=8-1&keywords=fehling+950

cheers,
Bassbär
Thank you sir!! I checked on the US Amazon site couldn't find it there!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts