Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
The only part I like the look of is the side view of the engine.
The shape of the tank isn’t bad either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was looking at the Indian , as a potential candidate, before going for the Triumph

I loved the engine looks , but couldn’t stand the frame’s appearance from the side

I was also dubious about the Polaris’ quality and durability, as well as resale value and whether they’d scrap the brand like they did with Victory

·
Registered
712 Posts
It looks better than before, and I like how they borrowed the Bobber's tractor seat, but I agree with Chico -- the pipes are fugly and about 8" too long.

The main issue with the Scout Bobber, however, was how "in your face" the radiator was. Conversely, Triumph's designers did a wonderful job making the Bobber radiator blend into the machine without any cowling or other unnecessary camouflage. Simple = Elegant.

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree with all above especially @AusBob.

When I was looking at both, what did it for me was......
One, for some reason I just didn’t feel comfortable on the Scout. I think it’s the feet fwd position.
Two, the Triumph just looks better to me. I do, however, like the looks of Scout but I would change quite a bit to get it to look the way I want. With the Triumph now, I would be content with it looking stock throughout ownership.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I really like that Indian are producing bike but for me some of the styling is missing the mark and I feel they are sometimes trying too hard to outdo HD.

The outsized exhausts and radiators (already mentioned) are for me personally some of the areas they are just getting very wrong.

Still great bikes and I'm always keen to see what they come out with.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
146 Posts
I test rode a Scout when I was thinking about buying a Bobber. It rode well but I prefer mid mounted foot pegs (Bobber pegs are to forward IMHO) and low bars. The styling for the Scout is better in person than in pictures. The first year models looked good but then the styling went south or should I say ugly. Would I take one of given to me? You bet your ass I would.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I’m pretty sure the tractor seat is either an option or a choice. It’s not the only seat. For most of the Sciut Bobbers the seat is not raised and sits like the regular Scout. I’ve always liked the Scout styling (so much so I bought the first years model, sight unseen and still get an unusual amount of oohs, ahhs and thumbs up). Between my Scout and the Triumph Bobber I’m just overwhelmed with compliments:). As far the the Scout Bobber though, I’ve always had issues with the exhaust styling. They are IMO just too long. The length is further exaggerated because of the short fender. I’m probably less bothered by the radiator because I’m just used to the look on my regular Scout. On a Bobber to Bobber comparison, the Scout Bobber reminds me of a “muscle” car, while the Triumph is all finesse and truer to the form.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I test rode a Scout when I was thinking about buying a Bobber. It rode well but I prefer mid mounted foot pegs (Bobber pegs are to forward IMHO) and low bars. The styling for the Scout is better in person than in pictures. The first year models looked good but then the styling went south or should I say ugly. Would I take one of given to me? You bet your ass I would.
Yeah, DR's post reminded me -- I don't have a lot of experience with forward controls but to me they either feel right or they don't, and I don't fully understand why. They feel very right to me on a Softail Slim and some other Harleys but definitely not on the Scout Bobber. Maybe he's right and it is as simple as being too far forward.

-GPz/Gary

·
Registered
114 Posts
I, too, was looking at the Indian Scout Bobber.

I liked the look of the engine a lot, but the exhaust killed me, and it just didn't look 'right' to me. The Triumph Bobber looks fast just sitting still, it looks exciting and old school without looking like it's for old men.

I also really wanted to share that I was denied a test ride on the Indian, which completely turned me off of the dealer/brand at the time, they were very rude and laughed when I asked about trading my 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec for it, asking why I bought such a crappy bike in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I, too, was looking at the Indian Scout Bobber.

I liked the look of the engine a lot, but the exhaust killed me, and it just didn't look 'right' to me. The Triumph Bobber looks fast just sitting still, it looks exciting and old school without looking like it's for old men.

I also really wanted to share that I was denied a test ride on the Indian, which completely turned me off of the dealer/brand at the time, they were very rude and laughed when I asked about trading my 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec for it, asking why I bought such a crappy bike in the first place.
I hear you on the design side of things. It just goes to show that this part of a bike really needs to be thought out. I feel the same way, Triumph nailed the original design (even though I've changed mine:wink2:).

As for how you were treated by the Indian dealer, that is just plain disgusting.

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts