Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had surgery for Prostrate cancer. I had a prostatectomy where the prostrate was removed.
I'm in recovery 4 months and can now hopefully get back on the bike. Only thing is the seat I have is particularly uncomfortable and I was hoping someone might know where I could go to get a more padded seat -even custom made.im based in Ireland but would pay for shipping if needed. The choices here seem limited. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I recently had surgery for Prostrate cancer. I had a prostatectomy where the prostrate was removed.
I'm in recovery 4 months and can now hopefully get back on the bike. Only thing is the seat I have is particularly uncomfortable and I was hoping someone might know where I could go to get a more padded seat -even custom made.im based in Ireland but would pay for shipping if needed. The choices here seem limited. Any help appreciated.
I’m sorry to hear about your health problems but it’s great news that you’ll soon be getting back on a bike. Just a thought, it might be worth checking out whether there’s a way to fit the comfort seat from the Speedmaster to the Bobber?

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
First of all, i wish you a quick and speedy recovery.

Choices for the Bobber are limited and yout have not mentioned budget.
So, i would say if budget is not a factor THE best choice for you would be a DAY LONG seat from the USA. These guys will make a seat designed specifically for you and any issues you have.
I have had a number of their seats; both service and quality are fantastic. There may be a waiting list, though and you will have to pay shipping + import duties which will be expensive.
They will use your existing seat, so you will be seat-less while they work on it.
Also, the seat probably won´t look ¨good¨. Will be (in my opinion) a case of function over aesthetics.

Secondly, try to find a company within the UK that can reshape and refoam the seat for you.
I have no first hand experience with any such firms in the UK, so can´t recommend anyone personally.

Anthony Mclaughlin from the UK Facebook Bobber Group did a nice recover job. Maybe you could contact him?
I have spoken to him and he is very friendly. Though i do not know if he has experience with actually RESHAPING a seat. If not, maybe he can recommend someone.
Here is a screenshot of his work:

Third option is a Corbin. But there are very limited reviews regarding their seat and refunds are a complete no-no (i spoke to Corbin UK and they confirmed this).
I have a coccyx issue/pain and asked what happens if the seat does not resolve my issue. They just copy-pasted some spiel about comfort and said that they cannot offer a refund under any circumstances. Simply NOT good enough if i am going to spend 520GBP.

I am still weighing up all 3 options above.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Just messaged Anthony.
Here is his reponse:

¨Thankyou very much. I can do foam reshaping ad cell pads etc. [email protected] is my email if he wants it I can see exactly what he needs. My friend owns a company in Glasgow also and he is the best I know at bike seats. This is his company house of custom.¨

He also told me that he is about to start another Bobber seat today - and will send me pics once done.
Here are some pics of the seat he did in January:

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Not to derail this thread, interesting tank job on the bike. Scales on one side, a sort of sun burst on the other, but what is going on at the end of the side bag? Looks like license plate bracket, but something more between it and the bag. Could just be my eyes....

NVRMND - Its a gas bottle! Looks awesome.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Not to derail this thread, interesting tank job on the bike. Scales on one side, a sort of sun burst on the other, but what is going on at the end of the side bag? Looks like license plate bracket, but something more between it and the bag. Could just be my eyes....

NVRMND - Its a gas bottle! Looks awesome.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
Hey BigG,

Very sorry to hear of your medical condition. I have a very good friend who has been through the wars with that very same problem.

Remember there's no magic about motorcycle seats. Any good upholsterer would be able to turn his/her hand to this. Here in the states lots of people get motorcycle seats rebuilt by people who do horse saddlery as their main business. Automotive reuphosterers also get used a lot.

So, you might look outside the motorcycle community and check out the custom car scene, horsey folk and the like. I'm sure that doing a one-to-one session with a good seat builder will be better than motorcycle-specific experience from further afield.

Good luck in any case! - Pasta

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all, i wish you a quick and speedy recovery.

Choices for the Bobber are limited and yout have not mentioned budget.
So, i would say if budget is not a factor THE best choice for you would be a DAY LONG seat from the USA. These guys will make a seat designed specifically for you and any issues you have.
I have had a number of their seats; both service and quality are fantastic. There may be a waiting list, though and you will have to pay shipping + import duties which will be expensive.
They will use your existing seat, so you will be seat-less while they work on it.
Also, the seat probably won´t look ¨good¨. Will be (in my opinion) a case of function over aesthetics.

Secondly, try to find a company within the UK that can reshape and refoam the seat for you.
I have no first hand experience with any such firms in the UK, so can´t recommend anyone personally.

Anthony Mclaughlin from the UK Facebook Bobber Group did a nice recover job. Maybe you could contact him?
I have spoken to him and he is very friendly. Though i do not know if he has experience with actually RESHAPING a seat. If not, maybe he can recommend someone.
Here is a screenshot of his work:

Third option is a Corbin. But there are very limited reviews regarding their seat and refunds are a complete no-no (i spoke to Corbin UK and they confirmed this).
I have a coccyx issue/pain and asked what happens if the seat does not resolve my issue. They just copy-pasted some spiel about comfort and said that they cannot offer a refund under any circumstances. Simply NOT good enough if i am going to spend 520GBP.

I am still weighing up all 3 options above.
Thanks so much for all the info - really appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I actually looked at that in Triumph Dublin - they are 'going to get back to me'

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have to assume you in the UK since your ID doesn't say so I would look for a custom upholstery vender there BUT there are many in the US that can form a custom seat to match your needs, We will all look for those and post others that Have already been mentioned.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts